shape
carat
color
clarity

Going to San Fransisco! Never been before.....

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
Hi. I just booked a girls trip to San Fransisco and am sooo excited. We will be staying on Nob Hill and would welcome any suggestions about things to do, shops to go to, restaurants....

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I am in S.F. I go window shopping at Union Square.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
The winding road.
See what's on display at the art museum, we got to see Van Gogh and I almost had a heart attack over it.
Feed the sea lions at the boardwalk
IF you can find it: There used to be a little Italian joint down the road from Planet Hollywood. It was set in the basement of a building. I Cannot remember the name of it for the life of me, but it was owned by an Italian family. the inside was decorated with white Christmas style lights, and different brightly colored cans and boxes of items from Italy and cool paintings. It was very bright and friendly and I remember the food was amazing. (If anyone knows what I'm talking about PLEASE help me remember).
Go to China Town
Go to the Bridge
If you can, take the ferry tour that tells you about the prison.
There is a large seafood restaurant on the bay, not too far north of the boardwalk. I don't remember the name of this either but I loved it.
Visit Ghiradelli!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1370629618|3461022 said:
When I am in S.F. I go window shopping at Union Square.

Lang's Antiques is a few streets over from Union Square. http://www.langantiques.com/

I would get the City Pass if you want to see a lot of the cool sights (Costco sells it online)

I enjoyed walking up the steps from Filbert Steps to Coit Tower http://www.yelp.com/biz/filbert-steps-san-francisco

I also love the views from the Museum, 1) M H de Young (go to the top) amazing glass views in every direction. this museum is in Golden Gate Park, with a lot of other cool museums 2) I love the Legion of Honor and their restaurant and they have great views http://legionofhonor.famsf.org/ 3) my favorite view is from Twin Peaks http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60713-d105363-Reviews-Twin_Peaks-San_Francisco_California.html

Are you driving? I would go across the bridge and you see so many amazing views from Salsalito and the military area on the left after you cross the Golden Gate Bridge.

I love SF :love:

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
If you want to do the alcatraz tour, get tickets in advance

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
All of the above are good suggestions. The last time I went we went on a walking tour of the Haight Ashbury district. It was GROOVY! :loopy:

Here's a link:

http://www.haightashburytour.com/

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a couple more options:

1. Grace Cathedral (Nob Hill) - I love visiting this church (Episcopal) - it has some wonderful de Rosen mosaics, beautiful stained glass windows, two labryinths, and the Cathedral entrance doors are incredible.

2. Lombard Street (Russian Hill) - fun to check out, and the view is pretty great

3. The Palace of Fine Arts (Marina District) - gorgeous, even if you just go for an hour and walk around

4. Alioto's Restaurant (Fisherman's Wharf) - it has been years since I've gone, but if you have time and want a sit-down meal in a nice restaurant, this is a San Francisco landmark - while on the pricey side (talking about the 3rd floor restaurant), my experience was that the food was good and the service quite good - we liked to go for late lunch so we could enjoy the views from the windows.

parrot tulips

Brilliant_Rock
Shopping in Union Square, Union Street (they're different), or Fillmore Street.

Tourist attractions you could visit are Fisherman's Wharf/Pier 39, Golden Gate Park (inside you'll find the California Academy of Sciences, De Young Museum, Japanese Tea Gardens, etc.), Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz. Maybe Teatro Zinzanni or Beach Blanket Babylon.

Restaurants...Nopa/Nopalito, Delfina, Zuni Cafe, Boulevard. Tons of others, but I don't eat out often...

If your stay is longer than a long weekend, just on the other side of the Golden Gate Bridge is Muir Woods, Stinson Beach, Sausalito and Tiburon (cute touristy towns on the water). A little further north of course is Wine Country (Sonoma, Napa, Saint Helena, Calistoga, etc.).

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ghirardelli Square!

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for all of the great tips! I am really looking forward to the trip. I didn't know that Langs Antiques were located there! I definitely want to go to Alcatraz, and union square, and of course ghirardelli square. The museum and all of theses restaurants....
So much! We are going on a Wednesday and leaving on Sunday , I hope we can get everything in! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Question: are those streets navigational by foot? Soo steep....

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are foodies.. so my recos all have to do with food... :-o

The Slanted Door at the Warf... yummy!!! Make reservations. The earlier the better..a friend who goes there all the time suggested this one, it was my DH's favorite.

The Grand Cafe' (Union Square) - hands down my favorite..I'm a sucker for great French food.. :bigsmile:

"Sears" for Breakfast (Union Square). My boss recommened it... we were not disappointed. The line goes fast.

Dottie's Blue Cafe' has been recommended a couple times.. every time we go our timing is off, so we haven't made it inside yet. It's a local favorite.

Sausalito - the shops and food.. great for an afternoon of shopping. Art Galleries are another weakness for me, there are a bunch! :Up_to_something:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lang's is near several drool-worthy jewelry stores, including Shreve's (SF tradition), Cartier, Tiffany's, and De Beer's. Also there's a great Vietnamese restaurant that Gypsy took us too during a PS SF GTG. I don't know the name, but it was right across the street from Lang's. Yummy food... I still remember their terrific corn fritters!

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
OMG!!!! All of your suggestions are so appreciated. Doing research on all of the restaurants named, made my Alcatraz reservation, and am totally psyched!

Ps. My friend gets motion sickness.... Wll she be alright on the trolleys, and ferry? She is packing tons of Dramamine !!!! :lol: :lol:

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I get sick easily and had no problems with the trolley at all nor the ferry. She should take dramamine, to be on the safe side though!!!

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Skippy! She will bring her Dramamine : Now for an important question.. What type of shoes should I bring????? :confused: :confused:

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
babs23r|1370875835|3462641 said:
Thanks, Skippy! She will bring her Dramamine : Now for an important question.. What type of shoes should I bring????? :confused: :confused:

If you are doing a lot of walking (steep hills, especially if you walking up Nob Hill) comfy shoes! I think Sofft, clarks, Keens, and Born make really comfortable shoes while still looking nice. The weather is usually nice out there and not too hot so maybe bring a light jacket, or sweater.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
weather varies day to day. can be cold one day and gorgeous the next.
SF hills and walking in general makes comfy shoes mandatory.
the important thing re dressing for SF is to layer.
current weather in SF: http://weather.weatherbug.com/CA/San Francisco-weather/weather-cams/local-cams.html
avoid white shorts [sure sign that you're a tourist].
oh, and a scarf can keep you warm and spiff up an outfit. I never go to SF w/o a scarf.
if you have a vest, its a good alternative to a full on jacket and/or useful for layering.
expect wind off the ocean to kick up in the afternoon. depending on where you're at, it can be quite cold [think financial district, Japantown].
if you're doing any of the museums, you'll be going in and out and layering will make sure you are warm when you want and that you stay cool when you need to.
not sure when you'll be in SF, but the Asian [located civic center] has this exhibit starting at the end of the month: http://www.asianart.org/exhibitions_index/in-the-moment
SF is a great city to just explore and hangout. have fun!

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
Great Advice. I never even thought about a scarf... I own many and will take a warm one. I hate packing, get overwhelmed easily. Will be in SF July 17th thru the 21st. Staying at the Palace. Can't wait!!!! I hate the heat , and will be a change from summers in N.Y.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wear layers. SF is all micro-climates. You can be hot one minute and 3 miles away be freezing.

Pack a jacket at night. It can be in the 80s and you will still freeze when the sun goes down.
Folks above got a lot of it covered. I like brunch at the Fairmont Hotel as a special treat.

If you want to stand in line for breakfast: http://www.yelp.com/biz/mamas-san-francisco#query:fairmont%20brunch is great. But the line is just ridiculous.

I personally like to go to the Ferry Building and grab bites to eat... cheese at one vendor, cookies at another, oysters someplace else.

Do not eat at Pier 39 if you go there. Pretty much everyone has overpriced and nasty food. Walk a few blocks past and go to Fisherman's Warf. I love getting a cracked crab, freshly cooked, and walking around munching on it.

I love the view from Coit Tower.

If you get out of the City I like going to Muir Woods.

If you are there for a week or so... I'd take a trip to Napa Valley.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
babs23r|1370710423|3461574 said:
OMG!!!! All of your suggestions are so appreciated. Doing research on all of the restaurants named, made my Alcatraz reservation, and am totally psyched!

Ps. My friend gets motion sickness.... Wll she be alright on the trolleys, and ferry? She is packing tons of Dramamine !!!! :lol: :lol:

She should be ok if she starts the dramamine a few days prior to the trip and continue to take through the duration of the trip. The water can be choppy when docking in at Alcatraz. If she get it real bad, she can also take 24 hour sudafed and that will help as well.

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
LAJennifer|1371007407|3463930 said:
babs23r|1370710423|3461574 said:

She should be ok if she starts the dramamine a few days prior to the trip and continue to take through the duration of the trip. The water can be choppy when docking in at Alcatraz. If she get it real bad, she can also take 24 hour sudafed and that will help as well.
Sudafed 24 could be perfect! Will let her know... I'm tasting that crab already!!!!! I can't wait for the school year to be over. Am a school nurse and the kids are driving me CRAZY!!!!!!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1370982930|3463654 said:
...........Do not eat at Pier 39 if you go there. ..................

best advice in the whole thread!

Pier 39 overall is a tourist trap and overrated. I never recommend it as a "must see".

Coit Tower is a must see and there are original Rivera's inside: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=coit+tower+rivera&qpvt=coit+tower+rivera&FORM=IGRE and some really great views of the Bay.

scarf: you won't need something heavy but something long to wrap that will go from day into evening.

did anyone mention this? bay bridge lights art project: http://thebaylights.org/
view it free from the embarcadero.

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
That sounds so cool, movie zombie. Didn't know anything about Coit Tower and the Rivera's!! It will be on our list!! :appl:

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
I know others have mentioned this, but I just wanted to say Lang Antiques is a MUST, MUST, MUST! I could (and have) spent hours there.

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
Snicklefritz said:
I know others have mentioned this, but I just wanted to say Lang Antiques is a MUST, MUST, MUST! I could (and have) spent hours there.

Yes, Lang Antiques is on my list !!!!! Any other shops to see?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results