shape
carat
color
clarity

Going to propose soon...need serious help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

IDK_Diamonds

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, I'm new here as well as new to the whole diamonds thing. I'm a 25 year old male, about to ask my girlfriend to marry me. I am not very wealthy, so at the moment I can only afford a 1 carat diamond ring. My girlfriend is not superficial at all, but I still want to get her something good.

I've researched a bit before finding this site, and got some of the basics down, such as Color and Clarity. However I'm still a bit unclear as to Cut...which is a mystery to me even as I read explanations.
33.gif

Before coming here, I was basically going to go to my local mall and browse those jewelry stores, such as Zales, Helzberg, etc. But it seems that's not a very good route if you're looking for a good quality-to-price ratio. It seems the online vendor JamesAllen.com is pretty popular here?

OK down to business. :) I am currently considering this diamond. The price is right for me at around $4,000, as well as the size (1 carat), Color (E) and Clarity (VS-1). However I'm unsure about its other variables. For example, its GIRDLE is rated "Extremely thin to slightly thick", and for the explanation, it says, "Diamonds that have girdle ratings of “extremely thin” or “extremely thick” should be taken into consideration to ensure that there are no quality issues with the diamond". So does that mean that there are serious issues with this diamond? I don't really understand the severity of the situation.

I hope someone can steer me in the right direction. I'm open to suggestions as well. I'm primarily looking at Princess Cut or Round Cut, and I would like to keep the price range at around $5000, but am open to higher prices if its within reason.
36.gif

Also one more question, my girlfriend likes YELLOW GOLD. I on the other hand don't, lol. And IMO, a diamond looks kind of strange on a yellow gold ring...however I do want to get her something that she will like (hopefully). What's everyone's opion on this matter?

I appreciate everyone's help, and thank you in advance.

EDIT:
-----
How is this one?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Try dropping the colour down to a G or H and the clarity down to a VS2 or an eyeclean SI1 and you will get a much better deal for your money.

If she likes yellow gold, go with that - you can drop the diamond colour a fair bit as it will pick up some from the setting. If you are really worried, you can have a platinum head put on so that you have white metal next to the stone.

On the cut - run the numbers (table %, depth %, crown and pavillion angles) through the Cut Advisor found under Tools. you want to find a stone that scores under 2.

There are other things too. Try and look at an idealscope picture. You can post it here, and people will help you find a good stone for your money.

On the stone that you linked to, an 80% table is not what I would want. Something around the 55/56% mark would be much, much better.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
HI IDK,

I agree with Pandora on going down in color a bit, as well as clarity. In a well cut stone, you can do that and not suffer visually at all.

In a round, you can easily go G,H,I, even a well cut J will face up white, but admittedly she may see a slight warmth from the side with it, and possibly an I. With a Princess, I'd stick to H as the lowest, as squares tend to show color a bit more easily.

Clarity, well, as long as you can't see it with the eye, it's ok. In some stones, although it's not the norm, it can be as low as SI2. SI1 and VS2 should be your targets.

As for yellow gold, if that's what she likes, then that's what she should get. And good for you for wanting to grant her wish.
2.gif

Lastly, you have two very different stones/looks here. You definitely need to find out exactly which one she wants, before beginning your search. If you can't find out directly from her, maybe ask her mom, sister, or a *trusted* friend (that won't spill the beans) to help you find out. Then you can begin the process, and we'd be more than glad to help. In looking, besides JA, there are many other recommended vendors on here, if you find they don't have what you need.

HTH!

p.s. The Cut Advisor only works with rounds.

johngalt2004

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/31/2007 5:35:36 AM
Author:IDK_Diamonds
Also one more question, my girlfriend likes YELLOW GOLD. I on the other hand don''t, lol. And IMO, a diamond looks kind of strange on a yellow gold ring...however I do want to get her something that she will like (hopefully). What''s everyone''s opion on this matter?
a nobrainer ... "she likes" trumps "I like" every time.

crystalheart1

Brilliant_Rock
I would stick with a nice round diamond, with maybe a nice yg band and a white metal head.

The two tone look is becoming more of a classic look

IDK_Diamonds

Rough_Rock
Wow thank you guys so much for all the advice so far! I really appreciate it! About the YG band, I think you''re right that I shouldn''t even think about putting "my likes" abover her''s. I think I wanted to see if there''d be responses like, "dear god not YG and diamond!" or something hahah. I wouldn''t want to get her an abomination even if its what she wants.
41.gif

As far as what specific type of diamond she likes, she really has no preference. She''s a very simple girl, who likes "simple" and "classy" things. So I think a round or princess would fit "simple" and "classy" well? Not sure though...since I don''t know anything about diamonds.
15.gif

So if I drop the color down to a G/H and clarity to around a VS2, I should be able to get a more well rounded diamond for the money right? I''ll try to refine my search and post some possibilities here. Also, I can''t seem to see where it states the Crown/Pavilion angles.

How is this diamond? Real diamond view.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
It's scoring a 4.2 on the HCA.

You are going in the right direction, but probably could do better.

You find the angles by clicking on the GIA report at top right and looking at the diamond with the numbers all over.

This one might be worth getting the crown and pavilion angles on - they haven't got them on the site. And it's $3767

or this - it's so annoying when the crown/pav angles aren't posted
38.gif

IDK_Diamonds

Rough_Rock
D''OH! The GIA report! I think I''m being blinded by all this diamond searching.
32.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
What about these:

.95 H, SI2 for $4128 from Wink (www.winkjones.com)
0.95 H SI2 1.3-EX - ex-ex-ex-vg 0 60.9% 57.2% 34.4° 40.8° .9-3.3 ex id no 6.33-6.36x3.87 AGS
(a quick phone call would confirm if it''s eyeclean or not)

1.03 H, SI2 for $4556 PS price - https://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/edit.asp?mode=reply&pageNo=1&num=30&type=reply&catID=1&forumID=3&topicID=71628&replyID=980269&quote=0
(looks way eyeclean in the mag photos; again, a quick phone call would confirm)

1.023 I, SI1 for $4511
http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-358388.htm

Another possibility - go for almost top-make. This looks like an AGS1 and would stick within the $4k budget
1.07 J, SI2 for $3814 PS price
http://www.whiteflash.com/round/Round-cut-diamond-457844.htm#
Looks quite clean and seems to be an AGS1....would be an almost top-make stone and still get you the size; pics look eyeclean

IDK_Diamonds

Rough_Rock
Thanks again for all the suggestions! Looking through them now. :)

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
That one from Wink looks great if it''s eyeclean - scoring a 1.3 on the HCA and slap bang in the middle of ''the white box''.

I was looking at that 1.07 J colour from WF and thought it looked good aljdewey.

IDK_Diamonds

Rough_Rock
OK, what makes the 1.07 J Color one from WF an "almost-top make stone"? I see that it is GIA rated. Are AGS rated considered "top-make"? Also I can't find the diamonds you selected on WinkJones.
33.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/31/2007 6:45:07 PM
Author: IDK_Diamonds
OK, what makes the 1.07 J Color one from WF an 'almost-top make stone'? I see that it is GIA rated. Are AGS rated considered 'top-make'? Also I can't find the diamonds you selected on WinkJones.
33.gif
Well, that depends on who you ask.
9.gif
If you do a search (GIA/AGS), your answer may, or may not be found.
2.gif
But for the record, I own a GIA top cut, branded stone. So no, you don't have to look only at AGS for a well cut stone.

To answer your question on the J and almost being top make, there are certain criteria (numbers/angles/etc) on stones that are set by labs, which catagorize them into different levels of cut. If you would like to learn more, hit that knowledge link up at the top of the page for the tutorial, which should give you answers to most questions. The J doesn't have "perfect/top level" everything, but it's close, and chances are, you wouldn't see the difference. That can make for a great value stone (price reflects not quite top notch).

And I can't find those at Winks either.....The other two are great contenders.

IDK_Diamonds

Rough_Rock
Thank you Ellen. I really get confused when I tried to read explanations of "cut", so I will trust the words of everyone here. You guys seem to know much about the details of a diamond.
36.gif

The 1.07 J, SI2 for $3814 (well looks like its gone up, its $3932 now
15.gif
) is a top contender now.

What do you guys think of this one? - 1.2 I, SI1 for $5011.

IDK_Diamonds

Rough_Rock
Alleyoop, that''s really nice looking! What is that combination called? Yellow Gold band with Platinum head?

Alleyoop

Rough_Rock
This is what he says on the site is "A mating of the SunBurst solitaire and Flame inspired crown has given birth to "Torchiere" in18 Karat yellow gold and (900) Platinum." and the main link is http://www.mwmjewelry.com/ about half way down the page. Mark Morrell is very highly regarded on this site. His work is beautiful.

Good Luck in your search!

IDK_Diamonds

Rough_Rock
Ahhh OK I see, they are custom ring makers. Thanks.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/31/2007 9:44:55 PM
Thank you Ellen. I really get confused when I tried to read explanations of 'cut', so I will trust the words of everyone here. You guys seem to know much about the details of a diamond.
36.gif

The 1.07 J, SI2 for $3814 (well looks like its gone up, its $3932 now
15.gif
) is a top contender now.

What do you guys think of this one? - 1.2 I, SI1 for $5011.

It is a lot to learn in a short amount of time.

28.gif
And you're welcome.

I think the one you picked out definitely has potential! (you're catching on) However, as with any stone at SI1 clarity or lower, you need to have the vendor personally look at it. And you need to tell them what you do and don't want to see, and from how close up, and at what angles. i.e. If you don't want to see anything, anywhere, not just face (table facet) up, be sure and tell them that. They will be very honest with you, this is a great company to work with.

What you can also do is, have them compare the J with this one, and have them pick the best one, they'll do that for you!

p.s. Their Expert Selection stones get a 2% off PS discount, that's the price Alj gave you.
28.gif

IDK_Diamonds

Rough_Rock
Yes I will call in tomorrow to ask some more questions. :)

The "J" of that 1.07 diamond from WF is a bit worrisome to be honest...I really don't want to give my girlfriend an obvious "tinted" stone.
40.gif

Anyway, I'm looking at some more, mostly at WhiteFlash since they seem to have a wider selection. How are these?

1.01 ct, G, SI2 - $4697 This one seems to have very comparable stats in regards to crown, depth, table, etc. to the 1.07, J that was recommended. So I'll assume this one is pretty well rounded as well? (EDIT: nevermind, this rated much lower than the 1.07 on the Diamond Cutter Analysis, 5.6 vs. 2.8).

1.12 ct, H, SI2 - $4550 This doesn't seem to have any girdle, pavilion, etc. stats...sign of an "iffy" stone?

P.S. I'm sorry if I'm throwing too many things at you guys, but I'm just so confused and need guidance lol.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
A well cut stone will face up pretty white even at J, but depending on how color sensitive one is, it might bother them. If you''re not sure, and can''t find out, it may be better to stick with G or H.

You''ve got two more potential there, if eyeclean!

And the one that doesn''t have all the info listed has it in the link to the "Sarin" report. (click on that)

IDK_Diamonds

Rough_Rock
OKAY! I checked the "Sarin" report and ran the cut analysis tool. Score came back 1.2: Light Return/Fire/Scintillation - Excellent and Spred - Very Good.

Again, the stone is 1.12 ct, H, SI2 - $4550. I think I will call in tomorrow about this one, and if its eye-clean, I think this one will be it!! I'm open to other suggestions as well, but at least now I got a goal to work towards. :D I thank everyone here for all the help!
36.gif

This one seems OK too, 1.1 on the cut analysis.

IDK_Diamonds

Rough_Rock
OK, I''ve looked over everything, and I''ve narrowed it down to 4 possibilities as of now:

1.12 ct, H, SI2, 1.2 (Cut Rating) - $4550

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-457846.htm#

1.12 ct, I, SI1, 1.1 (Cut Rating) - $4677

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-457845.htm#

1.07 ct, J, SI1, 2.8 (Cut Rating) - $3932

http://www.whiteflash.com/round/Round-cut-diamond-457844.htm

1.023 ct, I, SI1, 1.4 (Cut Rating) - $4650

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-358388.htm#

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/31/2007 9:49:19 PM
Author: Alleyoop
Can''t say anything in regards to the diamond, but if your gal likes yellow and you like white... you must look at this setting:

http://www.mwmjewelry.com/Torchiere_1.23ct_18k_plat_/slides/Torchiere_1.23ct_18k_plat_005.html

It is so classy and lovely.
I absolutely love this setting and diamond size! I would definitely make sure the diamond is one you pick out yourself, but the entire look of this ring (stone size and setting) will look elegant, and sounds like just what you were describing. (Good job "Alleyoop")

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
woohoo.gif
Great choice!

And you're quite welcome.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/1/2007 3:20:05 PM
I ended up purchasing this diamond, 1.2 ct, I, SI1, 1.6 (Cut Rating) - $5,011 with the help of Mr. Bob Hoskins. :D Great service from them, answered all my questions and was very informative. Thank you guys here for all the help and pointing me in the right direction!
36.gif
Can''t wait to see the end result! Congratulations, and remember that pictures are MANDATORY!
9.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great choice!! I just wanted to say that diamonds are gorgeous in yellow gold! But please do get the head (prongs) in white gold or platinum. My original e-ring has been set like that from the beginning, 30 years ago!

IDK_Diamonds

Rough_Rock
Well I thank all you guys here once again! Just to think, a week ago I was pretty much just set on going to Zales or Helzberg to get one!
32.gif

About the setting, I am in a bit of a rush, so I just went ahead and got the simple 4-prong tiffany style ring, 18K Yellow Gold and Platinum Head. I think once everything is set, I will try and get a custom setting, like this one which was posted a few posts up.
36.gif
I'll post pictures once I receive it.
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results