shape
carat
color
clarity

Going to a May wedding that's "cocktail attire" -- what to wear?

Beagles

Shiny_Rock
My husband's niece is getting married in May at an indoor/outdoor venue in her hometown that looks very nice (not a "destination" wedding locale). It will be a 4 p.m. ceremony with a cocktail hour and reception following.

We haven't been to a wedding or dressy party in 10 years and I truly have nothing to wear -- I don't even own a dress. I just want to fit in and not draw attention as overdressed or under dressed, IYKWIM.

Are nice slacks/pants/trousers and a nice silk blouse appropriate? I do have those. Or should I start looking online for a dress and if so, what style? I'm 60+ so slinky minis are not in the picture! Oh, and we have to drive 3.5 hours straight to the ceremony so whatever I wear needs to be comfortable.

Thanks!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
My sister had a cocktail wedding about 15 years ago
it was all very nice
we just wore regular formal attite
Have a wonderful time
Oh and be warm
My sister's wedding also in May but of course Autumn here, spring for you

Just go buy a petty top and wear long pants if that's what you would be comfortable in
i wore that to my sister's
and no one complained

Anything goes now
Lots of bling of course ;)2
and just have a great time

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
This thread made me wonder what it meant too. Below is a link I found. It sounds like it's between formal and casual, like "semi formal." A jacket and tie for men. For women, maybe what you'd wear for a fancy dinner out.

I'd probably spring for a (mid-length) dress if you can swing it, just for the extra confidence of feeling "correct" for sure. As they say, better overdressed than underdressed, when in doubt. That said, I also doubt it would raise any eyebrows if you showed up in dress shoes, nice slacks, a silk blouse and accessories/jewelry.

I was a bit surprised because the term "cocktail attire" sounds more casual than that to me.

Last edited:

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think nice slacks and a blouse or a nice jumpsuit would be perfectly appropriate. You don't have to wear a dress just because you have a vagina.

I'll also add, that in my experience people put "cocktail" so as to evoke a slightly more formal vibe than jeans. Like telling people "its not black tie, but dont wear jeans" lol.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would suggest stopping at a rest stop to change into your cocktail attire—rather than making the 3 hour commute in it. Can’t go wrong with a little black dress. Accessorize with jewelry and you’ll fit right in.

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
My daughter is getting married in May. Indoor/outdoor estate, it’s beautiful. We requested cocktail attire on the invites, more or less to discourage jeans! Life is so casual anymore, I think people have forgotten how to dress. I think a midi length dress would be perfect for a guest of the wedding.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread made me wonder what it meant too. Below is a link I found. It sounds like it's between formal and casual, like "semi formal." A jacket and tie for men. For women, maybe what you'd wear for a fancy dinner out.

I'd probably spring for a (mid-length) dress if you can swing it, just for the extra confidence of feeling "correct" for sure. As they say, better overdressed than underdressed, when in doubt. That said, I also doubt it would raise any eyebrows if you showed up in dress shoes, nice slacks, a silk blouse and accessories/jewelry.

I was a bit surprised because the term "cocktail attire" sounds more casual than that to me.

That's my understanding too, gent in smart suites/jackets with or without a tie, ladies in cocktail dresses as in short dresses, not long ones.

In this day and age, black trousers or skirt with some heels and a nice floaty top would do for ladies. That's what I have worn to weddings in the last few years.

DK :))

Beagles

Shiny_Rock
My sister had a cocktail wedding about 15 years ago
it was all very nice
we just wore regular formal attite
Have a wonderful time
Oh and be warm
My sister's wedding also in May but of course Autumn here, spring for you

Just go buy a petty top and wear long pants if that's what you would be comfortable in
i wore that to my sister's
and no one complained

Anything goes now
Lots of bling of course ;)2
and just have a great time

Definitely some bling! It will be nice to have an occasion to wear some!

Beagles

Shiny_Rock

I'm starting to think a dress might be more comfortable, particularly if it's a warm day. Maybe a midi that's kind of floaty?

Beagles

Shiny_Rock
My daughter is getting married in May. Indoor/outdoor estate, it’s beautiful. We requested cocktail attire on the invites, more or less to discourage jeans! Life is so casual anymore, I think people have forgotten how to dress. I think a midi length dress would be perfect for a guest of the wedding.

Thank you! That's what I'm starting to think too. I am sure your daughter's wedding will be beautiful!

Beagles

Shiny_Rock
I would suggest stopping at a rest stop to change into your cocktail attire—rather than making the 3 hour commute in it. Can’t go wrong with a little black dress. Accessorize with jewelry and you’ll fit right in.

Great idea about the rest stop!

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
Think evening attire, but less formal than black tie. I do think you are on the right track. Also, if your clothes are erring a bit on the causal side, bling it up and that will do the trick to elevate your outfit. I do suggest heels, even if only low ones, rather than flats for such an event.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't get over people wearing jeans to a wedding :(2

Personally, I believe it is down to the happy couple to decide how they wish to celebrate. If they decide to go casual then so be it.

Nice jeans (not the slasher ones) looks good and smart with a shirt and tie, nice pair of shoes, and a blazer, IMHO, as seen on Tommy Lee Jones in the films the Fugitive and U.S. Marshals.

DK :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd go for a mid length dress or a black skirt and a nice top. Personally, I wouldn't normally wear slacks to a wedding that rolls into the evening. That decision may be impacted by where you live as I think certain places and climates dictate either more casual or less. But when I think of "cocktail" I do think of a dress/skirt and not pants.
I'm in your age group and I'd probably wear something simple like this (just a quick internet search)

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
If you are set on pants, I would suggest a solid color jumpsuit that is not too fitted, in a rich jewel tone. I love jumpsuits, I think they flatter a lot of people, and they don’t feel too dressy (to me). I’m not a dress person, would wear jersey material stuff for comfort

C57F3F37-0CC7-4FB0-B007-44F1C8664EE4.jpeg DDC9AA05-818C-461C-9223-CD869FF6AF4B.jpeg

Last edited:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're not up for buying a whole new outfit, personally I think you could go with dressy pants paired with silky top and lace shrug/cardigan -- the first two pics show black lace cardi with sheath dresses but the ivory lace open cardi is monochrome look with ivory pants and top -- maybe something like that (though not suggesting ivory or white monochrome)?

Regardless, I echo other posters' suggestion to drive in comfortable clothes and then switch to wedding outfit ... 3-1/2 hours is a long drive and the quick change right before you get to venue will allow you to arrive feeling and looking fresh and ready for a celebration.

1648049401161.png

Last edited:

Beagles

Shiny_Rock
I'd go for a mid length dress or a black skirt and a nice top. Personally, I wouldn't normally wear slacks to a wedding that rolls into the evening. That decision may be impacted by where you live as I think certain places and climates dictate either more casual or less. But when I think of "cocktail" I do think of a dress/skirt and not pants.
I'm in your age group and I'd probably wear something simple like this (just a quick internet search)

That's a great looking dress -- wish it was available! I'm checking out Macy's online now for ideas. Thanks!

Beagles

Shiny_Rock
If you're not up for buying a whole new outfit, personally I think you could go with dressy pants paired with silky top and lace shrug/cardigan -- the first two pics show black lace cardi with sheath dresses but the ivory lace open cardi is monochrome look with ivory pants and top -- maybe something like that (though not suggesting ivory or white monochrome)?

Regardless, I echo other posters' suggestion to drive in comfortable clothes and then switch to wedding outfit ... 3-1/2 hours is a long drive and the quick change right before you get to venue will allow you to arrive feeling and looking fresh and ready for a celebration.

1648049401161.png

I do like the lacy shrug/cardigan idea, either with pants and blouse or a dress! Thanks for the suggestion!

I am hoping our hotel will let us check in early or at least use their restrooms to change before we go to the venue.

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
LOVE that second jump
If you are set on pants, I would suggest a solid color jumpsuit that is not too fitted, in a rich jewel tone. I love jumpsuits, I think they flatter a lot of people, and they don’t feel too dressy (to me). I’m not a dress person, would wear jersey material stuff for comfort

C57F3F37-0CC7-4FB0-B007-44F1C8664EE4.jpeg DDC9AA05-818C-461C-9223-CD869FF6AF4B.jpeg

suit.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a great looking dress -- wish it was available! I'm checking out Macy's online now for ideas. Thanks!

I was recommending a style like that but I'm guessing other companies make similar styles so good luck!

pinklemonadegurl

Shiny_Rock
May can be pretty "squishy" (here in Michigan, for sure!) so my suggestion is to NOT wear spiked heels as you may sink into the ground if it's moist/soft.

I have a wedding to attend in August in a barn :) Looking forward to it, but already wondering what to wear as well....

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally wouldn’t wear trousers to any kind of dressy event, but that’s me, and I like to wear dresses.

Our best friend’s daughter got married a little while ago, and I wore a silk mid length dress, which had a matching wrap.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I personally wouldn’t wear trousers to any kind of dressy event, but that’s me, and I like to wear dresses.

Our best friend’s daughter got married a little while ago, and I wore a silk mid length dress, which had a matching wrap.

AB06C054-3BCE-4826-BED4-10C065B4DCA4.jpeg

Very pretty dress @Austina!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like all the options given here!

It depends on social circle, I'd say. Here in old Europe it's pretty stuffy, so 95% of the people who've invited us go by the traditional wording (mark male attire and then ladies know what to wear... It's slightly sexist imho, just saying). Anyway, cocktail dress means a very specific thing here: shorter than full length dress OR pantsuit (but not too stiff/business like) OR jumpsuit. Appropriate for church if service in church : knees covered, shoulders covered, no low neckline. In case dress is to revealing: shrug/cardi/blazer Bolero.

Hat /fascinator /headpiece of any sort optional UNLESS the gent's attire is "morning suit" /cutaway.
For the may wedding I'll attend I bought this IMG_20220325_104727.jpg

Will accessorize with pointy nude heels

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do like the lacy shrug/cardigan idea, either with pants and blouse or a dress! Thanks for the suggestion!

I am hoping our hotel will let us check in early or at least use their restrooms to change before we go to the venue.

How was the wedding ?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results