shape
carat
color
clarity

going through airport security with an e-ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

youjane1

Rough_Rock
here''s the catch, without her knowing you have it! I know people on here have done this, how does it work? The idea I''ve been planning involved me flying by myself to surprise her somewhere, but it''s looking like that won''t work out so now we''re on to plan B, which means we''ll be together.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
I can see why you might be nervous having it in your carryon in case of theft or having your luggage searched. It shouldn''t be enough metal by itself to set off the metal detector, but the ring box might be.

If it were me, I''d put the ring in a small ziplock baggy and put it in a secure pocket of my clothing, maybe picking a shirt or pants with a pocket that buttons close. Then pack the ring box in my checked baggage or mail it to the hotel.
You might also want to come up with a ring box that has as little metal as possible like a wooden box that only has metal hinges. Then you can put the whole thing in your jacket pocket, and it would be less likely to be lost.
If you''re not comfortable having the ring on your person in a pocket, how about putting the ring in a small baggie with cottonballs zipped into your toiletries kit? (in your carry-on of course)

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very creative advice, but seems a bit difficult and if you were hand screened, could absolutely ruin the surprise, plus make it look like your harboring stolen goods or something. If you are concerned about having it scanned in your carry-on luggage, perhaps you could arrange to go through security at different times. For example, could you arrive at the airport separately? If you can''t arrive at different times, then when you get to security, make sure she has her ticket, and just as you''re about to get in line, tell her to go through as you have:

1. To go to the bathroom

2. Forgotten something important

Let her go through first and tell her you''ll meet her at the gate. Then you can go through at your leisure without fear of having the ring screened.

Good luck..........

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
As long as you put it in your carry on bag, you should be fine. The thing goes through the xray and it is clearly visible to the technician that it is some piece of jewelry or a ring, and nobody will be alarmed, or alerted in any way. That seems the safest route to me, because if you put it in your pocket and you are 'wanded' by the security person, it will go off when they whisk past your pocket, causing you to have to empty them. And then, the surprise is ruined.

DO NOT put it in your checked baggage under any circumstances!!!! Now that you cannot lock your bags, the number of thefts have gone up again and it's not worth the risk. On several occasions I have come home to one of the TSA slips in my bag indicating someone has gone through it. Why tempt them with a ring?

jldunn

Rough_Rock
You can always put the ring in a plastic baggy and tape it inside your pants by your zipper. They always expect to find metal on a zipper, even with the wand. If they want to see inside your pants they take you into a private little room, so you''ll be fine there. You can leave the box in your carry on bag or a jacket pocket. I''ve made it through plenty of times with screwdrivers and other large menacing metal objects. I rarely get any problems unless I have some sort of electornics (laptop, playstation, lots of cables).

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Now that I think of it, there really isn''t anything to worry about. The likelihood of your bag being searched is very very low, as long as you don''t act squirrely.
9.gif

Just put the ring box towards the bottom of your carryon. If they do search your bag, they usually only pull out the top layer so they can find the thing the x-ray person couldn''t identify. Worst case, just lean in and whisper ''don''t pull out the ring box, it''s a surprise'' with a pointed glance at your lady.
Also it''s fairly obvious what a ring box is doing in a guy''s luggage, and almost everyone has a romantic streak so the security person won''t want to ruin things.
12.gif

Just to be on the safe side, you could contrive some difficulty with getting your laptop out or your shoes off and be ''forced'' to let a couple of people go in front of you to create a bit of a safety gap between you and your sweetie.
28.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2006 3:35:24 PM
Author: jldunn
You can always put the ring in a plastic baggy and tape it inside your pants by your zipper. They always expect to find metal on a zipper, even with the wand. If they want to see inside your pants they take you into a private little room, so you''ll be fine there.

This scares me because what if the tape doesn''t cling to the material strong enough and the ring makes its way down your leg - or worse, out the bottom? YIKES. Unless you''re using duct tape...and even then, this scares me. (This coming from someone who had a ring actually make its way OUT of a deep pants pocket, and is now gone forever.
39.gif
)

You can leave the box in your carry on bag or a jacket pocket. I''ve made it through plenty of times with screwdrivers and other large menacing metal objects.

I''m not even gonna ask.
2.gif

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2006 4:23:52 PM
Author: FireGoddess
You can always put the ring in a plastic baggy and tape it inside your pants by your zipper. They always expect to find metal on a zipper, even with the wand. If they want to see inside your pants they take you into a private little room, so you''ll be fine there.

This scares me because what if the tape doesn''t cling to the material strong enough and the ring makes its way down your leg - or worse, out the bottom? YIKES. Unless you''re using duct tape...and even then, this scares me. (This coming from someone who had a ring actually make its way OUT of a deep pants pocket, and is now gone forever.
39.gif
)
Ok, I just can''t resist this post...
31.gif
11.gif
31.gif
As long as he isn''t a boxer kind of guy.....
31.gif
*cough* that would be more secure.

12.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/6/2006 4:23:52 PM
Author: FireGoddess

Date: 3/6/2006 3:35:24 PM
Author: jldunn

39.gif
)

You can leave the box in your carry on bag or a jacket pocket. I''ve made it through plenty of times with screwdrivers and other large menacing metal objects.

I''m not even gonna ask.
2.gif
Good Golly Miss Molly......How creative in the oddest of ways
20.gif

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
You can put it in your bag!

emsmilep.gif

I have a funny story -- when my DH took me to Hawaii to propose... he put my ring in an Advil bottle! There was a Tiffany pouch inside with some Advil pills. He left the box at home because he was afraid I''d find it in his luggage!

He did that because when I was feeling wicked, I''d tease him about bringing me to Hawaii to propose. And I''d peek in his bag trying to find the ring. HAHAHAHA!!! The hilarious part is, I remember shaking that Advil bottle. I wondered WHY he''d lock up a little bag with the Advil bottle in the safe whenever we went out.

He said he''d been SO stressed the whole time we were in Hawaii that someone might take the Advil bottle not knowing a 3ct. ring was in there!!!! I laugh thinking about it.

solange

Brilliant_Rock
Instead of taping it, you can use a safety pin to secure the plastic bag.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Dont worry about it, my FI proposed to me in Puerto Rico, and everything was fine. He put the ring in his carry-on, guided it with his life, and when we got to the hotel he hid the box in a sock in his laundry bag...of course, I found out all of this after the fact, but it makes me laught when I think about it...he said he was so stressed about the whole process it drove him nuts!! The metal detectors never went off, security did not give him a problem at all, and everything went smoothly. FI said he was more worried about me rummaging through his bags when we got there, since I knew it was coming. He knows me so well, because sure enough I patted down ALL of his luggage when we first got there when he was in the shower. I am so bad, I know, but I couldnt help myself. I was so disappointed because I didnt find anything, and told myself it just wasnt happenning there, but I was wrong. Can you imagine how suprised I was when he actually did it???I was shocked!
He did such a good job at hiding it well, I felt bad that he felt his biggest obstacle was me!!!
2.gif

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
The metal detectors spot steel and iron objects.

I''ve never heard of it setting off gold or platinum items.

Most ring BOXES do have steel springs so that can set it off.

Rockdoc

nicolejrx

Shiny_Rock
My fiance put my ring in his camera case in his carry on, we had no probs getting through security but he made me go first just in case...
Nicole

BigToque

Rough_Rock
Phone the airport in advance and see if there is anything they can do to accommodate you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results