shape
carat
color
clarity

Going shopping for a cushion cut...what is most important?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
I have 2 jewelers I have made appts with. My reluctant husband is coming with me to share this experience with me. We are looking for a cushion cut that will be the center stone for my upgrade and anniversary gift. My problem: I have noticed that there seems not to be a clear guide for cushions for table, depth, crown, etc., and I want to know EVERYTHING I must know before we go. I have read the tutorials. I have gone to GOG and read about cushions there. Is there anything else I should know? Our budget is kind of tight so I know that cut above all is most important. I have a 10-12K budget for everything including the cost of the new setting, hopefully in either WG or Platinum.

Thanks for your help!

Psychobroker

Rough_Rock
I can''t offer any help, but I''ll wish you good luck and state that I wish I had your budget problem :)

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Hope moremoremore either pops her head in this thread or PM her. She knows oodles about cushion cuts
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/14/2005 8:17:14 PM
Author:DeannaBana

I want to know EVERYTHING I must know before we go.

IMO, the more you see, the more you'll know what to look for next. If you are just seeking to learn about cut, any size, color or clarity would do as 'samples'
2.gif
Some branded ones (Danile K, Kotlar) might be of better assistance.

I have gone to GOG and read about cushions there. Is there anything else I should know?

Try the page on fancies at Ideal-scope.com. I don't remember if they talk about cushions pecifically, but the same rules apply to all fancy cuts, as far as I understand. Only some are held to higher expectations than others (i.e. don't expect trilliants to outshine rounds...)
34.gif

Our budget is kind of tight so I know that cut above all is most important. I have a 10-12K budget for everything including the cost of the new setting, hopefully in either WG or Platinum.

Is there such a thing as a non-tight budget when diamonds are concerned ?
31.gif

10k should give you some reasonable range of choices, IMO.
Just my 0.2
1.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
you flatter me too much rascal, stretch, who ever you are LOL
emangel.gif

Ana gives great advice...

I would think that step #1 is getting a vendor who understands what you want...and who can help you decide what you want...b/c buying a cushion online from numbers alone won't get you far... darn you fancies, darn you!

I guess the first steps would also include:

Do you want an antique look, a "modern" cushion, or a beautiful in between cut
Do you want more round or more square or more rectangular?

Edited! You already have two appointments which is great! Not much else to know LOL... If you find a few stones that interest you, post the stats and describe the plot and you'll get tons of feedback on price...of course, your eyes are a great judge!

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/14/2005 8:54:00 PM
Author: moremoremore
you flatter me too much rascal, stretch, who ever you are LOL
emangel.gif

Ana gives great advice...

I would think that step #1 is getting a vendor who understands what you want...and who can help you decide what you want...b/c buying a cushion online from numbers alone won''t get you far... darn you fancies, darn you!

I guess the first steps would also include:

Do you want an antique look, a ''modern'' cushion, or a beautiful in between cut
Do you want more round or more square or more rectangular?
I am leaning more towards the rectangluar shape or the antique, but in all honesty, each cushion I have seen--which is 2 stones--have their own personality and are beautiful. Like most have said here many times before, look, look and look and when you see the one that speaks to you, the shape and everything else all comes together. So, I guess I am willing to consider them all, though I am first drawn to elongated cushions.
emlove.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/14/2005 9:00:27 PM
Author: DeannaBana

I am leaning more towards the rectangluar shape or the antique...

x.jpg

Long & Old you say ?
23.gif
I don''t know why they punished the poor diamond with the severe setting, but this is rather unsual and thought I''d bring it up. I am pretty sure you had something else in mind, but how many like these might there be in any given diamond shop?
3.gif

The picture comes from HERE

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
WOW!!! Yes, they should have left off the second halo...

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
WOW!!!The cushion is beautiful, but the setting is way over the top for me personally. I am leaning towards an antiquey looking simple setting that make the center stone the star with a little milgraining, engraving and--if $ permits--some small pointers for side stones 1/2 way down on either side from the center.

I want to concentrate my focus on how much we need to spend to get a stone that says "I''m yours."

I kind of have big hands and fingers(size 9) and I want a setting that is very feminine in nature...something that when money is more plentiful, a WB can accompany, if I go that direction.
emotion-5.gif

ello

Brilliant_Rock
I love this setting from JB Star. Very beautiful on....

JBstar24.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results