shape
carat
color
clarity

GOG solasferas vs eighternity

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dedicated

Rough_Rock
Learning lots,
I''m doing all this research and feel like I''m becomming very confused!! What is the difference between the solasfera and the eighternity diamonds found on GOG?. Does one seem to have more "oomph" than the other? How do they compare to the other H&A diamonds?
Thanks for any info.

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
Did you check on the GOG educational pages for further explanations?????
He''s got a lot of information on that sight.....you also could do a search at the top of the page....there was a recent thread about H&A vs. Eighternity.......

Welcome, and good luck finding out more info!
34.gif

35.gif

icemyster

Shiny_Rock
Hi dedicated,

Fundementally they have a differnt cut patern one from another. The eighernity is an 81 facet diamond that yeilds tremendous sparkle as a result of it pavillion faceting structure. It is not, per se, a hearts and arrows diamond....

The Solasfera is a modified H&A with 91 facets, and it cut to maximize light return and brilliance. Every stone is cut to max out the ratings on the gemex...that is what they are made for.

Rhino has written excellent tutorials on both stones, and posted them on the internet. His explinations will give you much more insite into the differences between these these stones than my small thumbnail scetch above.

Good luck in the diamond search!!!!!
1.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Standard H&A has 58 facets.
Eightstar also has 58.
Eighternity 81.
Solasfera 91.
All 4 are round brilliants.
There are other rounds but I have only seen these four, in person, side by side.

H&A is a standard round cut with optimized angles and proportions that result in 8 arrows visible on the top and 8 hearts visible on the bottom with special viewer.
Sure, the heart and arrows have a great gee whiz factor but are actually useful features when you learn how they reveal the quality of the cut.
When well cut they have very little light leakage.
Eightstar is ultra superduper precision example of the 58-facet pattern with no light leakage (white visible through an idealscope.)

The Solasfera also has no light leakage.
Its imagescope is blood red edge to edge.
I think of the standard H&A as having 8 sets of facets, while the Solasfera has 10 sets, so It has 10 hearts and 10 arrows.

Apparently some experienced people find these rounds with more than 58 facets to be too different-looking.
Some have called them busy-looking.
I suppose if I spent 50 years looking at a zillion examples of the 58-facet cut I would get used to it too.

Personally I don't care what is considered conventional.
You don't need the approval of others.
Pick what you like.

After seeing the Solesfera, Eightstar, Eighternity and H&A side by side I prefer the Solasfera.
The Eightstar is about double the price of an excellent 58-facet H&A, and while it is superb it is difficult for me, a working person, to justify that price tag after seeing it next to a Solasfera.
Solasfera has more facets, so it would make sense that it has more flashes of color but each flash may be smaller than it would be on a 58-facet stone of the same size.

To each his own, but I prefer the Solasfera based on my side by side comparisons.

I am a consumer with no financial interest in what I post.

SUPA IDEAL KID

Rough_Rock
Kenny,

How did you manage to see Solesfera, Eightstar, Eighternity side by side?

What are the specs of the three stones you saw?

mrmedoes

Shiny_Rock
I don''t know what Kenny did, but I know that Jonathan has offered me to see them against each other in the past. I''m quite sure the offer would also apply to you.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They were all within a tenth of one carat, D to F, and VVS2 to VS2.
So close that the difference seen was in the cut itself.
One carat is a good size for comparing cut because there is the largest selection at this size.

IMHO seeing stones side-by-side in the same room and light is the only way for a novice to compare them.
It is much like comparing pianos.
The room size and acoustics affects the sound so much.
Memory for the feeling and sound of a piano is not so good when the experiences are separated by space an time.

For me diamond shopping is similar.
One at a time they each looked excellent and would make anyone very happy.
But seen side-by-side the differences were pronounced.

Buying a diamond sight unseen is tough for many of us.
Sellers who sell through the mail should be understanding if you are honest and sincere, and as long as you have the credit limit to cover both stones and don't mind considering some shipping cost to be part of the education process.
As a courtesy call ahead before bringing in stones into B&Ms.
Needless to say, never let the stones you are responsible for out of your sight.

They will be surprised you are doing this, but I will be surprised if anyone objects.
They all have a chance to make this sale, or future sales or referals if they treat you right.
Really how can they blame you?
Even Tiffany was willing to make an appointment to accommodate after speaking to the right person.
You are the buyer; you are entitled to be sure of your choice.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ah... just got back from an excellent weekend escape to Ocean City, New Jersey... hated to come home.
39.gif

Excellent input Kenny.

When you look at each of these side by side THEY ARE ALL GORGEOUS. Each of these types are cut to optimize light return and each do it very effectively. A choice for either is a choice for a rare beautiful stone. They differ in thier personalities and as kenny pointed out these become evident on a side by side comparison.

mrmedoes, correct. If anyone would like to do a visual comparison of any of these stones side by side in the convenience of their own home, if their credit will cover it and don''t mind covering my shipping (which is very cheap anyhow) the experience and education is definitely worth it. If a sale is consummated we include the shipping in the price of the stone but just so ya''ll know ... there is no obligation to buy and never any pressure from us whatsoever.

Peace,

SUPA IDEAL KID

Rough_Rock
It does not make any sense why anyone would bring those stones to a B&M shop.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I carried a H&A and a Solasfera into a B&M that carried Eightstar.
Then into another that had Eighternity.

I whipped out my Idealscope and went to town.
We took the stones away from the cheat-lights and even took them outside in the shade and the sun.

I wonder what the jewelers thought to themselves.
I imagine not many customers do this - although we ALL should.

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
I would love to see them side by side. I am a comparison shopper[=)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results