shape
carat
color
clarity

Girdle Lasered

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cl2ysta1

Rough_Rock
I read in my "modern girls guide to everything" haha I know I''m a dork that it is a very good idea to get your girdle lasered on your diamond. That way whenever you go to get it cleaned and it is out of your hands etc etc you can be 100 % sure it is YOUR diamond. The reason I wanted to look into this is b/c i moved to a new state and don''t really have a trusted jeweler here. Does anyone know how to go about this. Who does it and the ballpark range of cost on it? Also, My diamond is already set. Are they going to have to take it out to laser it??? How does the process work!

thanks in advance.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Only a few places can engrave the diamond while it is set. Many more of us can engrave it when it is not set. It isn''t very likely that you are in a place where anyone does this work, unless you are in a good sized city. So, you''ll probbly have to send it to someone you really don''t klnow and have the issue of how can you prove it is the same diamond you sent.

If the diamond has an inclusion you can see and cleary recognize, then you have a good clue of how to recognize it in the future without any lasering at all. Of course, you could choose to temporarily depend on the inclusion and send out the ring for diamond girdle lasering.

Lasering a girdle is not 100% foolproof. I could make a counterfeit if I wanted to. Anyone with this equipment can do something wrong if they choose to. The rbest re-identification is the ability to recognize your diamond from its inherent internal birthmarks, its weight and probably its exact depth. None of these will alter over time. A laser engraving can be removed or applied to another diamond.

We like laser engraving and find it popular, BUT it isn''t something of vast importance.

cl2ysta1

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info. Unfortunetly my diamond doesnt have any visable inclusions. and on its gia report it only has a small pinpoint. which i cannot see. I guess you''d hope that if they did switch it out they''d be doing it with a worse quality one and you could tell right away. arghh. I suppose i''ll have to just hope no one switches it? There are only a few small jewelery stores here. no mainstream ones. All privately owned. I live in the middle of a desert now and definetly not close to any large cities. I appreciate your input though

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/29/2007 7:37:33 PM
Author: cl2ysta1
Thanks for the info. Unfortunetly my diamond doesnt have any visable inclusions. and on its gia report it only has a small pinpoint. which i cannot see. I guess you'd hope that if they did switch it out they'd be doing it with a worse quality one and you could tell right away. arghh. I suppose i'll have to just hope no one switches it? There are only a few small jewelery stores here. no mainstream ones. All privately owned. I live in the middle of a desert now and definetly not close to any large cities. I appreciate your input though
It's great that your diamond doesn't have any visible inclusions.
9.gif
That's a lovely trait, not an unfortuante one! However, an appraiser should be able to see your pinpoint under their microscope, so if you were worried, you could take your diamond to one after you got it cleaned (or for whatever reason that the diamond left your hands), just to be sure.

Switching a diamond would be a huge risk for any company. One verified report of a switch could ruin their reputation permanently (especially a small, family-owned jeweler who is counting on word-of-mouth for business). Additionally, as oldminer stated, anyone with the proper equipment could laser inscribe any diamond (or diamond-looking stone) and call it your diamond. That is why the GIA report (and not a pair of eyeballs) is what is used by appraisers to identify your diamond. As long as you have that report, you're in good shape. Don't fret!
1.gif

cl2ysta1

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/29/2007 8:46:59 PM
Author: Julianna

Date: 10/29/2007 7:37:33 PM
Author: cl2ysta1
Thanks for the info. Unfortunetly my diamond doesnt have any visable inclusions. and on its gia report it only has a small pinpoint. which i cannot see. I guess you''d hope that if they did switch it out they''d be doing it with a worse quality one and you could tell right away. arghh. I suppose i''ll have to just hope no one switches it? There are only a few small jewelery stores here. no mainstream ones. All privately owned. I live in the middle of a desert now and definetly not close to any large cities. I appreciate your input though
It''s great that your diamond doesn''t have any visible inclusions.
9.gif
That''s a lovely trait, not an unfortuante one! However, an appraiser should be able to see your pinpoint under their microscope, so if you were worried, you could take your diamond to one after you got it cleaned (or for whatever reason that the diamond left your hands), just to be sure.

Switching a diamond would be a huge risk for any company. One verified report of a switch could ruin their reputation permanently (especially a small, family-owned jeweler who is counting on word-of-mouth for business). Additionally, as oldminer stated, anyone with the proper equipment could laser inscribe any diamond (or diamond-looking stone) and call it your diamond. That is why the GIA report (and not a pair of eyeballs) is what is used by appraisers to identify your diamond. As long as you have that report, you''re in good shape. Don''t fret!
1.gif
Thanks Julianna!!!! I actually got the set from you guys! I just wanted to state again the great quality on the setting and the beautiful diamond!!!!!!!! Thank you soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much! and also thank you for putting my mind at ease

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results