shape
carat
color
clarity

Girdle: driving me nuts

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

slayerav

Rough_Rock
This is driving me nuts! I got what I thought was a perfect diamond yesterday... until I came down from the excitement and realized that the girdle may be a problem. GIA rated it as "Extremely thin to Medium".

The Sarin report shows the girdle at 2.4%, which I assume is an average of some sort, and rates it at "Thin".

I took a look at the stone under a little 60x microscope I had around the house, and I can see so pretty thin areas. Since this is the first diamond I've ever looked at like that, I don't know what to expect.

I am having it appraised by an independent appraiser Monday, and I will see what she thinks. Can someone provide a little advice with the ETN - MD girdle... most of what I've read deals with just ETN girdles... not a variance like mine.

Am I being a worry-wort, or is this something to be genuinely concerned about? The diamond would be going into a 4-prong setting.

Here is Sarin info:
Weight - 1.07ct
Diam - 6.65mm - 6.70mm (6.67mm)
Roundness - 0.7%
Total Depth - 60.9%
Table Size - 55.5%
Crown Angle - 33.9
Crown Height - 15.1%
Girdle Thick. - 2.4
Pavilion Angle - 41.0
Pavilion Depth - 43.2%
Culet - 1.6%

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock

I don''t know enough to help you...but that subject line sure made me laugh! I can recall my mother saying that all the time!

Thanks for the giggle. The board will help you...be patient.

DKS

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
all girdles have some variance and are not going to be the exact same all the way around. please don't stress too much about it. the appraiser will be able to tell you more on monday. the sarin reading is indeed an average and 2.4% is considered thin. there may be a small spot that measured ex.thin and you can have that area put under a prong for more protection. again, try not to stress about it. why don't you take some pictures of your new stone and share them with us?
20.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Definitely wait for the appraiser before going nuts! It is very possible like Belle said that the extremely thin part of the girdle is actually only in a little area. I would be concerned if a large part of the girdle was extremely thin, but we can''t know that until the appraiser sees the diamond. So for now, stop worrying and just enjoy playing with the diamond.

And how about those pics???
31.gif

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Looking at any stone at 60X will tend to drive u nuts!!...stop it!
emsmile.gif

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/22/2005 5:31:52 PM
Author: DiamondExpert
emsmile.gif

Hello Ame, where are you? Are you reading this?

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/22/2005 5:34:58 PM
Author: noobie

Date: 10/22/2005 5:31:52 PM
Author: DiamondExpert
emsmile.gif

Hello Ame, where are you? Are you reading this?
ROFLMAO!!! Sorry for the hijack. Continue the discussion, but if you hear giggling off in cyberspace...

shay

karenleah15

Shiny_Rock
My diamond has an area that is "very thin." I was like you and very concerned about it. Also at the very thin part I have an "indented natural." So of course this made me even more concerned. When I took it to be checked and set into my setting the jeweler (who I trusted very much) was not that worried about it. He set the very thin area under one of the prongs and all is right with the world. I have not had a problem with it. Also remember that no matter how thin or thick your girdle it still can be chipped. The best way to relax is to just make sure you have it insured.

slayerav

Rough_Rock
Pictures!!

I just emerged from my makeshift "diamond photo studio", and here is what I took.

dmnd_1a.jpg

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Sure is pretty. Keep us posted on your progress with settings, etc. Good luck. It is a beauty.

shay

slayerav

Rough_Rock
All is good!! The appraisal went great. She said there was nothing to be worried about in terms of the girdle. It was fairly thin in one tiny spot, but otherwise was thin to medium the rest of the way. She said I''d have no problem with it.

I''m getting it set now and should have the final product in hand later this week!

Thanks, everyone, for their reassurance.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Yay!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
See all that worrying was for nothing!
3.gif

The pics are gorgeous, and I can''t wait for pics of the finished ring!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results