shape
carat
color
clarity

Gift giving...ideas for people you don''t know well

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
How do you handle giving gifts to people you don''t know well? I''m thinking specifically about your spouse''s family, but it could be anyone. One of my standard gifts that seems to please just about anyone is specialty chocolate or homemade cookies or other baked treats. Other than that, gift cards to stores and restaurants are good choices, but if you wanted to buy relatives something else, what would it be?

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Well, I would usually say "why get a gift for someone you don''t know well", but THIS YEAR, i feel COMPLETELY different. My brother got married in January to a woman with a 13 year old daughter. We''re only buying for the kids, but I don''t really know my new niece. She''s not a girly girl so all the jewelry, bath, make-up stuff''s out. She''s into sports, but there really aren''t sports "accessories." She hates to read and downloads all of her music. So, I''m at a loss and actually considering an Aeropostale gift card. (I HATE giving gift cards)

So, please throw in ideas for teens, too!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
zoe, male or female, age, and your budget.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/1/2007 6:32:46 PM
Author: somethingshiny
Well, I would usually say ''why get a gift for someone you don''t know well'', but THIS YEAR, i feel COMPLETELY different. My brother got married in January to a woman with a 13 year old daughter. We''re only buying for the kids, but I don''t really know my new niece. She''s not a girly girl so all the jewelry, bath, make-up stuff''s out. She''s into sports, but there really aren''t sports ''accessories.'' She hates to read and downloads all of her music. So, I''m at a loss and actually considering an Aeropostale gift card. (I HATE giving gift cards)

So, please throw in ideas for teens, too!!
Does she play video games? And you might have your brother get some suggestions from mom.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Ellen~ she does games but my bro has anything she could EVER want. I''ve asked bro and SIL, and they don''t even have ideas for what they''re giving her...

she also has her room completely done and any entertainment device you could imagine.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ew. Wellll, HOW in to sports is she? Would you say, enough to get her a GC (I know) to a nice sports shop? Otherwise, I''d go with the other GC. This kid is making it tough.
11.gif

Honestly though, as much as I personally don''t like giving GC''s either, kids DO love getting them.

ringster

Brilliant_Rock
zoe, if she downloads music from itunes, then a gift cert might be an idea

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Ellen~ She into sports as much as you can be when you go to a tiny school and don't have to "try-out" for the team.....

I guess a GC is the way to go....arghhh....I really wanted to give her a gift to make her feel part of the family, ya know?

What about something small to open, and a GC?

What's small.....and can be opened......that's not jewelry.....
33.gif

ringster~ let's just say she doesn't need money for her downloads....

23.gif

ringster

Brilliant_Rock
hmmm...yep teenagers are tough ones to buy for. ellen is right though about gift certs. teens usually love going to the mall to shop/hang out so a gift cert maybe to her favorite mall (i think some do this)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/1/2007 7:02:23 PM
Ellen~ She into sports as much as you can be when you go to a tiny school and don''t have to ''try-out'' for the team.....

I guess a GC is the way to go....arghhh....I really wanted to give her a gift to make her feel part of the family, ya know?

What about something small to open, and a GC?

What''s small.....and can be opened......that''s not jewelry.....
33.gif

ringster~ let''s just say she doesn''t need money for her downloads....

23.gif
I understand. I think this is a good idea.

Hmmm, I''m thinking. She is a toughy...

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm...for the 13 year old...what about a gift certificate to a movie theater? That's about all I'm coming up with!

ETA: Something small to open: how a big bag of her favorite flavor of Jelly Bellies or some other candy she likes? I love candy!

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
I saw these earphones at the Swarovski store. I'm thinking of getting them for my daughter. They look very nice in person. Link to online store: Link

crystal earphones.jpg

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
And . . . these are to die for [same link as above]. The heart is a necklace and the lock has a clippie thing to attach to a handbag [it retracts so it looks just like a crystal lock]:

flash drive.jpg

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/1/2007 7:48:01 PM
Author: ringster
i think diamanteblu''s idea is great. another idea after looking at that link is

mobile phone accessories

Great idea! I had forgotten about those. They are gorgeous too.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not knowing her is really hard. Does she wear NO jewelrey? Like, would she wear an inexpensive fashion watch? plus GC. or, fun scarf and GC. I dunno...

Candy''s good.
grins-xmas.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
My FI is the youngest of 5 kids, most of whom are married and/or have kids. Most of my FI's nieces and nephews are in their twenties, although there are two younger kids. Every year, his family gets together on Christmas Eve to celebrate the holiday, and the following day is when their individual families have their own Christmas. Instead of everyone getting something for everyone else, names are drawn. This year, I have my soon to be SIL's ex-husband, who is still close to the family.

We see my FI's parents and siblings once a month usually, and over the 4 years we've been together, we've all gotten together for special occasions or BBQs, things like that. So while I've hung out with everyone, I still don't feel like I know anyone well enough to know what to get him/her for Christmas. I'm sure they feel the same way. Usually, we'll call each other and ask what so and so might want, and then we usually just get exactly that. While that's fine, there's virtually no thoughtfulness to it. It doesn't say, "I found the perfect gift for you!" It says, "someone told me what to get you so I did." Do you know what I mean?

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
That is tough Zoe. I''ll be in that boat next year, as I will finally be included in FI''s family''s grab bag gift exchange that includes his entire 50 person extended family, a few of whom I''ve never actually met in person. Is it possible to call someone who does know him better, and ask for general ideas to go off of rather than a specific "He wants this"? Guys are so much harder for me! Sorry I''m not much more help!

Somethingshiny, I like the idea of having something to open with a gift card. This year I found these really fun super fuzzy/soft stretchy gloves and socks at JC Penny''s that I''m adding to my gift cards. Or maybe a fun ornament that matches her age, like a cell phone shaped one or something?

ringster

Brilliant_Rock
last year i wasn''t joining my FI (then BF) to visit his family but i got some items from the gourmet food stores for him to bring. i live near San Francisco ferry building and there are tons of ideas there.
SF Ferry Building

cheese basket from cowgirl creamery
Cowgirl creamery

olio nuovo olive oil from stonehouse -- they give you a nice bag and sheet of paper that tells you about the oil -- Olio Nuovo is the first oil of the year, straight from the mill and brimming with fresh flavors and a rich, almost creamy texture. This oil is perfect for dipping, for dressing greens, or as a finishing oil. We do not recommend cooking with Olio Nuovo!

Stonehouse Olio Nuovo

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok, a guy.

Does he golf? A box of nice balls, they can always use those. Titleist is a good brand, but won''t break the bank. Maybe throw in a towel. Ha!

Does he like to BBQ? Some cool accessories maybe.

Car enthusiast? All kinds of products there...

Reader? Maybe a new release? Or a hard to find treasure?

Does he drink wine? A really nice bottle in one of the cool carring cases they''ve got for them now?

Smoke cigars?

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I don't know how you feel about this (re the 13 yr old niece issue), but at that age, the gift I liked best was ... MONEY! You're getting to the age where you like to buy your own clothes, go hang out with friends at coffee shops or wherever, and money = freedom. It's hard to get cause you're still not really old enough to work.

I know some people are uncomfortable giving money, but at least when I was that age, it was the ace gift for sure.

Oh, and you can buy gift certificates to on-line music stores like iTunes I think.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have two nieces who are now 15 and 17, but since DH and I were first together back when I didn''t know them very well, I''ve always given them really cute pajama sets either from Victoria''s Secret or the GAP, or a department store, and it''s become a tradition that they get a cool new set of pj''s from their auntie. We supplement with Target GC''s, and on birthdays they each get something from Tiffany''s (sterling silver, of course...we''re not made of money, lol!) The pj''s have always been a big hit. I find it fun to shop for them and find really cute ones, and they love them and usually change into them right after they open them (I wish they''d wait and wash them first, but they don''t seem to care.)

For other relatives I usually do GC''s. I can almost always think of someplace they go frequently (Starbucks, Borders, etc.), or ask DH about their hobbies or whatever to figure out where to get the GC.

In the past, when DH''s relatives didn''t know me very well, I was given Bath and Body Works gift baskets, which I always appreciated, or bookstore GC''s, also great.

Food items for gifts I think you need to be careful with, make sure that person doesn''t have any dietary restrictions and would actually be able or want to enjoy sweets like cookies or candy. I gave my FIL a box of gourmet cookies one year, not realizing that he was diabetic and needed sugar-free goodies. Oops.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
GREAT! Thanks, ladies! I think I will look for pj''s, gloves (and the like) or candy (which I know her favorites, duh!!) At least going shopping with something in mind should make it easier. Hopefully I''ll be able to find something for her, and then, of course, a GC.

Zoe~ Does your FI''s family EXPECT to get what''s on their lists? I ask because DH''s family did this. If they didn''t get what they WANTED, you were looked at like a tool. I don''t know where the spirit is in that, but it''s what was expected.

ideas, though...Harley Davidson stuff (seems to be a winner with lots of guys), BBQ accessories (if he''s the BBQer), fishing (bait, reel, fly, ice ) stuff, golf stuff, specialty camera accessory, 80''s Monster Ballads (
2.gif
), subscription to a journal, unique tool, billiard balls or other accessories (again, if that''s his thing), ipod accessories, blank dvds or cds (if he likes to burn), old books on his favorite topics, new books by a favorite author.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions! Ellen, I just found out that he likes to read but I''m not sure what to look for. I need to do more investigating. I know he spends time with his grandson (my FI''s niece''s son), so I thought of possibly getting something for the two of them to enjoy doing together, even if it''s movie tickets or something.

In the meantime, I was curious to find out how others handle this type of situation. I love getting together with everyone and sharing Christmas Eve together. I just feel that I''ll always be at the same place I am now -- not knowing anyone in the family well enough to choose the perfect gift just for him or her. My FI agrees with me and would like to change how gift giving is done. He''s never sure what to get anyone either and he''s a member of the family. I think a traditional Yankee swap would be fun because you could get more generic gifts that would be great for more than one person. I''m not sure if my FI''s ever suggested that but he could.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/1/2007 9:24:31 PM
GREAT! Thanks, ladies! I think I will look for pj''s, gloves (and the like) or candy (which I know her favorites, duh!!) At least going shopping with something in mind should make it easier. Hopefully I''ll be able to find something for her, and then, of course, a GC.

Zoe~ Does your FI''s family EXPECT to get what''s on their lists? I ask because DH''s family did this. If they didn''t get what they WANTED, you were looked at like a tool. I don''t know where the spirit is in that, but it''s what was expected.

ideas, though...Harley Davidson stuff (seems to be a winner with lots of guys), BBQ accessories (if he''s the BBQer), fishing (bait, reel, fly, ice ) stuff, golf stuff, specialty camera accessory, 80''s Monster Ballads (
2.gif
), subscription to a journal, unique tool, billiard balls or other accessories (again, if that''s his thing), ipod accessories, blank dvds or cds (if he likes to burn), old books on his favorite topics, new books by a favorite author.
Thanks Somethingshiny! I don''t think my FI''s family expects to get what''s on their list. People seem happy with what they''re given each year. My FI told me that one year, he had drawn his BIL''s name. He wasn''t sure of what to get him, but in his search, he found a puzzle that was described as "the world''s hardest puzzle." He thought that might be kind of fun so he gave it to his BIL. The family got a good laugh out of that one when he quickly gave up on trying to put it together because it was so impossible. The following Christmas, the BIL happened to draw my FI''s name. Guess who was given "the world''s hardest puzzle?"
9.gif
I guess it''s been passed around the family for years.

fansynancy

Shiny_Rock
What about an iPod accessory? Maybe some cool ear buds or a sports case to hold it? Or maybe something from Pottery Barn Teen that''s personalized? My kids are 10 and 14 and that''s the kind of thing they like. Also- magazine subscriptions- Amazon is offering $5 off on them this week.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
For extended family and friends this year we are doing these cute little lidded jars with an assortment of lollies in them :) should be a hit I think the jar is really popular with customers where I work and it is fairly practical as it can be used for things around the home later

For a teen seriously a GC or some cash is the way to go :):):):):) unless you know her specific tastes just let her pick her own gift :), my niece and I are close enough in age to have similar tastes so I can usually buy for her :).

if you wanted to add a small gift what about a small yummy inexpensive perfume or a perfume miniature :), most girls irrespective of interests like to smell nice the body shop has some yummmy inexpensive scents for the 13 year old age bracket :)

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Not so much for kids, but my favorite gift for a family or for a woman is a candle set. You know, the pretty ones that come with the little stand and the rocks to decorate the plate under it. Those give a boost to just about any home, just as a little more decor.

I also like to give young couples a Christmas ornament, because often times it takes years to graduate from all balls to more developed ornaments.

I also like nice scarves, or making scarves, or little things like that.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
I like the oriental rug mousepads and coasters: Mouse pads.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I collect handmade potted mugs so my standard "generic" gift is a big, gorgeous handmade mug with a pretty set of yummy hot chocolate, and either a pair of warm wooly slipper-socks or some other traditional winter accessory. It's really just a selfish excuse for me to go shopping for more mugs.
11.gif

ETA: And I accompany every gift with a handwritten note, of course! Stationery is almost more fun than handmade mugs!

OR A BOOK, too--books make great gifts!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results