shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA vs. IGS gemology degrees....Help anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondman

Rough_Rock
I want to get my G.G. degree from GIA but just cannot afford the tuition or the time. I found the gemology degree from international gem society. How does it compare? Will I get a quality education? I know it may be comparing Yale to a community college, but will it work for me? I want to be an appraiser, and I just need to know where to start. I have enjoyed reading all the topics here over the last few months! Please, can anyone help? Thanks, Colin

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In the United States, the only broadly accepted gemological credential is the GG from GIA. This is not to say that they are the only, or even the best place to learn the material but if you are seeking employment as a jewelry appraiser this will be required to demonstrate that you have attended to gemological portion of your training.

Other places to consider gemological training are Gem-A out of England, the Canadian Gemmological Association, and the International School of Gemology. These all offer quality programs for considerably less money than the GIA. I’m not familiar with the IGS program. For overseas students there are programs in India, Germany, France, Thailand and other places and I’m sure that some are excellent. Others may be less so.

If you're really budget conscious, start at the public library. There's great material available for free.
36.gif

You should bear in mind that appraisal training and gemological training are not the same thing. If you wish to become a capable appraiser, you will need both.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2005 11:51:27 AM
Author:diamondman
I want to get my G.G. degree from GIA but just cannot afford the tuition or the time. I found the gemology degree from international gem society. How does it compare? Will I get a quality education? I know it may be comparing Yale to a community college, but will it work for me? I want to be an appraiser, and I just need to know where to start. I have enjoyed reading all the topics here over the last few months! Please, can anyone help? Thanks, Colin
Dear Dman

Are you referring to ISG ( International School of Gemology ) ? Run by Robert James?

I haven''t heard of the International Gem Society.

While the courses at ISG, are less costly, and certainly better than no education, as of yet they do not have industry acceptance. I know Robert teaches other courses, and has registered these courses with a number of different states.
It may gradually gain more acceptance as time goes on, but also consider that getting a GG is really just the beginning.

But even this will not make you an appraiser. Getting a GG, will educate and train you to identify gemstones, and grade diamonds. It will NOT credential you as an appraiser.

I certainly don''t want to discourage you, but the easy, instant gemologist in a box approach just won''t get you where you really want to be, as quickly as you might think it will.

GIA sort of implies that after taking their 6 month residency courses, that you''re ready and qualified as a real expert. This is not really the case. It takes some years of hand''s on experience to really become competent. Plus to be an appraiser you need education, training and experience in both gemology AND Valuation. I have tried not to sugar coat this for you, so you sort of know up front the level of committment you need to make.

In addition, you''ll need to invest in quite a bit of gemological equipment. To begin practicing you will really be required to have the education and equipment to do the best job for your customers who do come to you for analysis and valuation.

Another piece of advice. Before doing any gemological studies, I would suggest you have your eyes tested for color hue discrimination. You certainly don''t want to make a financial committment, and learn later you have a deficiency in your color vision.

Again, I am not trying to discourage you, and I am certainly sympathetic to what it costs. Getting the proper education is vital and crucial for you and if you really want to do this, I certainly encourage it.

Rockdoc

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results