shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA vs. EGL

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Incognito2

Rough_Rock
In looking at potential cushion stones....should I assume that an EGL H VS2 is the same quality as a GIA I SI1? I have read on the PS forums about the "lax" grading standards of the EGL stones, but is this true in every case? Any help would be greatly appreicated.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
EGL what? USA, Israel, Europe? It seems to make a difference. I am no expert, but from what I''ve learned, it is possible the grading report could be a bit more lax than AGS or GIA. For this reason, I chose to spend more and ensure my stone was GIA graded, if for no other reason than my own piece of mind. If you find a stone you really like that is EGL graded, it would proabably be wise to ship it to an appraiser for verification of the grading specs and to ensure you are getting what you paid for.

I''m sure the experts can offer better advice, but that''s my .02 worth..........

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
EGL USA is better than EGL Israel. But still soft in their grading. If you buy an EGL stone take it to an independent appraiser within the return period to be sure of what you are getting. But recently have heard better things about EGL USA. Good luck, HTH.
2.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To add to the mix there is also EGL Antwerp as well as Israel, Europe and USA. EGL USA have been said to have really tightened up their standards in the past year, personally I have no problem with EGL USA especially with an independant appraisal which should be done in any case, but I would personally steer clear of Antwerp, Europe and Israel. EGL USA diamonds are priced lower than GIA and you might be able to find a great deal assuming the diamond in question appraises accurately. I wouldn't assume that an EGL USA diamond is two grades lower than it says, just be aware that it could be - don't write off a diamond which actually might be graded accurately by EGL USA if you love it. With the others though all bets could be off. The independant appraisal should settle any question.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/28/2006 10:44:45 PM
Author:Incognito2
In looking at potential cushion stones....should I assume that an EGL H VS2 is the same quality as a GIA I SI1? I have read on the PS forums about the 'lax' grading standards of the EGL stones, but is this true in every case? Any help would be greatly appreicated.
Hi Incognito,
Remember also that you must look at each diamond individually for the characteristics that you seek. I recently saw an EGL graded diamond that was a 1.01 H SI2 and graded correctly, however the cut of the stone was awful. The client was purchasing the stone based on it just being an H/SI2 with no regard to cut issues. Compare, ask questions, and then make your decision based on the individual diamond...and yes, an independent appraisal during a return period would be a wise decision for peace of mind. Have fun shopping!

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

PhilipMilmore

Rough_Rock
Hi- I''m not a diamond expert at all but I have just had experience with this issue. I was considering three diamonds, one GIA and two EGL, each from different jewelers. My negotiations with the jeweler with the GIA diamond didn''t go well so I bought one of the EGL diamonds with a "return within one week for full refund if not satisfied provision". I think I was able to get price concessions from this jeweler using the argument that EGL diamonds are discounted on-line as compared to GIA diamonds. Immediately after taking possession of the EGL diamond, I took it to a GIA trained independent appraiser (who doesn''t sell diamonds, only appraises) who matched the EGL ratings except she was a little tougher on the fluoresence rating.

So I was satisfied. I think I got a diamond with the characteristics noted on the EGL certifcate for a very reasonable price. I bought it for an engagement ring so I''m not worried about resale market value (which would be an issue with an EGL rated diamond).

And it is a beautiful diamond too.

Incidently, the independent appraiser told me that she grades lower on about 40% of EGL diamonds and 4% of GIA diamonds.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results