shape
carat
color
clarity

GIa vs EGL vent

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I know that anything that''s not GIA or AGS is looked down upon around here, I just have to say that not all stones that are graded by other laboratories are bad. I have a beautiful D color SI1 stone that is EGL US graded, and it IS in fact a D color and SI1. I have taken it to two different (high end and very well respected) jewelers in my area, and have seen it compared to the GG''s master set. I realize that buyers need to be aware that there may be a difference in color and clarity depending on the lab, but I am really getting tired of people being negative and steering people away from stones simply because of the fact that they''re not GIA. (What, does everybody around here work for GIA or something?) You can still get a good stone from other labs. Sorry, just needed to get that off my chest. Hope I didn''t offend anybody
40.gif

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
Tuckins,

No offense taken! I feel like I am probably one of the people you are talking about here as I have mentioned that before. However, most of the time I am just trying to be helpful to people who aren''t as educated as I have become through this wonderful forum. These people, who are posting for the first time, usually don''t have the knowledge that we do. In that case, its easiest to tell them to stick with GIA and AGS because they are safer than EGL. EGL can have great stones as well, and I''m sure yours is gorgeous. It is ok for a more educated consumer to include EGL in their search, but when just starting and buying online where you can''t see the diamond in person, it is just safer to tell them GIA or AGS to save them the trouble later of being disappointed.

Thanks for this topic though. I have a feeling it might generate some more comments and it is a fair topic to bring up. And no, I don''t work for GIA!
3.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s just well known that EGL overall does grade softly, especially in overseas labs. (EGL Israel, for example.) That doesn''t mean your diamond is crap-it just means it''s best to get it appraised. Furthermore, AGS grades for light performance, which is something that EGL does not do.

No one here works for GIA as far as I know, and they certainly don''t "look down" on EGL stones-they just want posters to get what they pay for, which is more likely when you go with a GIA or AGS certed diamond.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Tuckin
1.gif
; GIA and AGS are very likely to be off in their grading like the other labs. I guess it is better to be warned so that you don't think you are buying (just as an example) an I and you actually have an K. I think people have to take that into consideration and figure out if you are really getting a good deal. If you can assess that then that is great but not everyone can do that so easily without an independent appraisers help or a good return policy if it isn't correct. Just my 2 cents.
2.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tuckins, I do agree with you that there are many many beautiful stones that aren''t graded by GIA (or even AGS for that matter). I think the *issue* (if that isn''t too big a word) is the way that a color and clarity grade can correspond to pricing. So, for instance, if you''re paying $X for a stone that''s GIA graded as a D SI1 you want to make sure you pay a fair price for a stone that''s graded as a D SI1 by EGL if indeed it would be graded lower in color and/or clarity by GIA. Does that make any sense?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/12/2008 8:50:52 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
Tuckins, I do agree with you that there are many many beautiful stones that aren''t graded by GIA (or even AGS for that matter). I think the *issue* (if that isn''t too big a word) is the way that a color and clarity grade can correspond to pricing. So, for instance, if you''re paying $X for a stone that''s GIA graded as a D SI1 you want to make sure you pay a fair price for a stone that''s graded as a D SI1 by EGL if indeed it would be graded lower in color and/or clarity by GIA. Does that make any sense?

Good point, Ellen.

Tuckins--When I was searching for my cushion my local jeweler brought in an EGL-Israel stone, and I posted the info on PS to get feedback about it. Nobody told me to stay away from it, rather they warned me about EGL''s soft grading, and provided some resources so I could read further. I really valued the warning because it helped me make an inform decision.

And then when I purchased said EGL-Israel certified stone, everyone was happy and enthusiastic for me, and I didn''t receive one negative comment whatsoever.

I''m sorry that you feel frustrated, but knowing PSers, I am almost positive that all responses about your stone''s grading were intended to help you act as an informed, confident consumer.

So, where are the pictures of this stone? You''re not going to just tease us with words, are you?
2.gif

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all of your responses. By all means, the consumer should know what they are getting into... I might add that my husband bought my stone form a jeweler, not online, so he was able to see it in real life before purchasing. I just feel bad sometimes that some people might be "scared off" from a really lovely stone just because of the lab. An online, sight unseen purchase would be very different than one in person, so I get it. I know that everyone here just wants the consumer to get the best stone possible and not get something that they weren't expecting. I do respect all of the advice and guidance that fellow PSers give!
35.gif
I do love it here!
19.gif

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Haven, I have posted some pics of my ring before, but, being a true diamond addict, I will post the links to some of them so that more people can look at my sparklies!

Flower shots
Sunny pics

I'm still trying to perfect my picture taking... Hubby complains all the time that I ALWAYS have his camera!
28.gif

BTW- There are many pictures throughout the flower pics post

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/12/2008 8:33:53 PM
Author:Tuckins1
I know that anything that''s not GIA or AGS is looked down upon around here, I just have to say that not all stones that are graded by other laboratories are bad. I have a beautiful D color SI1 stone that is EGL US graded, and it IS in fact a D color and SI1. I have taken it to two different (high end and very well respected) jewelers in my area, and have seen it compared to the GG''s master set. I realize that buyers need to be aware that there may be a difference in color and clarity depending on the lab, but I am really getting tired of people being negative and steering people away from stones simply because of the fact that they''re not GIA. (What, does everybody around here work for GIA or something?) You can still get a good stone from other labs. Sorry, just needed to get that off my chest. Hope I didn''t offend anybody
40.gif
Word, from a fellow EGL stone owner who is totally happy with her diamond. Except mine is from (*gasp*) Israel!
emsmileo.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/12/2008 9:37:55 PM
Author: Haven

Date: 8/12/2008 8:50:52 PM
Author: Dee*Jay

Good point, Ellen.

Tuckins--When I was searching for my cushion my local jeweler brought in an EGL-Israel stone, and I posted the info on PS to get feedback about it. Nobody told me to stay away from it, rather they warned me about EGL''s soft grading, and provided some resources so I could read further. I really valued the warning because it helped me make an inform decision.

And then when I purchased said EGL-Israel certified stone, everyone was happy and enthusiastic for me, and I didn''t receive one negative comment whatsoever.

I''m sorry that you feel frustrated, but knowing PSers, I am almost positive that all responses about your stone''s grading were intended to help you act as an informed, confident consumer.

So, where are the pictures of this stone? You''re not going to just tease us with words, are you?
2.gif
pssst that was DeeJay
5.gif
2.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a fab EGL USA diamond! I also try to find out exactly what a poster is looking for and if a diamond happens to be an EGL and looks good, then I would not steer them away from it necessarily, if you know what you are looking for then there are some great stones to be had.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2008 11:55:57 AM
Author: Lorelei
I have a fab EGL USA diamond!
You sure do!
bat%20eyes3.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/13/2008 11:57:42 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 8/13/2008 11:55:57 AM
Author: Lorelei
I have a fab EGL USA diamond!
You sure do!
bat%20eyes3.gif
* blush* fankies El !
face20.gif

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/12/2008 8:33:53 PM
Author:Tuckins1
40.gif

I agree that I think it can be off putting that people dismiss EGL USA so readily. According to this report done by PS (please note small sample size), EGL USA actually grades tougher on clarity than GIA, but softer than AGS or GIA on color. And they are only generally softer by one grade, not the two grades often proffered by its detractors. And they offer more info on their reports than GIA does.

If the grading is predictable, then it seems a lot less risky than others make it out to be. That and I would tell ANYONE to only get stones with return policies. And I highly recommend appraisals, too.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good fair thread. I agree that it can seem like a knee-jerk "shortcut" to suggest GIA & AGS stones ... but several (maybe even many) Pscopers have found lovely EGL stones & were able to experience the EGL "discount". Savvy consumers can "get what they pay for" with any lab ... especially with the help of a good independent appraiser.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results