shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA vs. AGS - 1 better then other?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TechSales

Rough_Rock
Is on report better then other. I can''t find the thread now but I thought I read something about when trading up you need to have a GIA cert. I could be wrong...

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
it depends on who you ask
2.gif

they are different. both are highly regarded but i give ags the edge for reporting proportions and grading light performance.
as far as trading up, that depends entirely on the vendor''s policy from whom you originally purchase.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I prefer AGS too, because they have been grading light performance for quite some time.

I''m also not thrilled with the recent breach at GIA.

TechSales

Rough_Rock
breach?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock

TechSales

Rough_Rock

Well, Well Well... That’s disconcerting to say the least. Hmmmmmmmmm, may decide to go for that WF AGS cert'd stone instead.

Anyone know what the aprox. cost would be to have the stone set? Coudl I just send WF the setting? Shoudl I get it done locally instead so I have a local jewler to go to for sizing and etc.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Yes, WF can set your diamond. There may be a fee. If you bought your diamond from them, I don''t know if it will be just a token fee or not. There is a thread where JohnQ discussed that very issue. I cannot remember which one it is. My personal opinion, (my preference) just so we''re clear (standard disclaimer) If I bought a WF stone, they would be the ones setting it. There is no right or wrong here. There is only convenience versus peace of mind. If you buy a stone from someone they take responsibility for setting it. You take that stone to someone else, all bets are off (usually). There may be a unique few that are different. Chances of finding them in your hometown, slim and none.

shay

just my .02 of course.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
setting costs vary greatly by jeweler and locale. it would probably be safer and easier to have wf set the stone if you purchase from them. i did not have any problems with having an online stone set locally, but some jewelers don''t want to take the responsibility. do what best fits your situation.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2005 4:26:22 PM
Author: Shay37

Yes, WF can set your diamond. There may be a fee. If you bought your diamond from them, I don''t know if it will be just a token fee or not. There is a thread where JohnQ discussed that very issue. I cannot remember which one it is. My personal opinion, (my preference) just so we''re clear (standard disclaimer) If I bought a WF stone, they would be the ones setting it. There is no right or wrong here. There is only convenience versus peace of mind. If you buy a stone from someone they take responsibility for setting it. You take that stone to someone else, all bets are off (usually). There may be a unique few that are different. Chances of finding them in your hometown, slim and none.

shay

just my .02 of course.
Thanks Shay. You may be referring to this thread.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2005 6:18:20 PM
Author: JohnQuixote

Date: 11/17/2005 4:26:22 PM
Author: Shay37

shay

just my .02 of course.
Thanks Shay. You may be referring to this thread.
Yes, thank you good sir Knight. That is the one.

shay

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
GIA certs are acceptable from a vendor who provides the information that is missing from the cert and is honest enough to verify the cert info and not sell a diamond if its not properly graded.

With fancies other than princess cuts its pretty much GIA or crap certs so GIA gets the nod for now on them.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2005 7:49:46 PM
Author: strmrdr

With fancies other than princess cuts its pretty much GIA or crap certs so GIA gets the nod for now on them.
Likely true, but since he''s considering between GIA and AGS, I figured he was going round.

In that case, I''d still favor AGS......personally.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results