shape
carat
color
clarity

GHI vs EGL diamond ratings ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

its_me_that_guy

Rough_Rock
Hello, new to the forums, lots of great information here. Hope some of you can help me. Been searching and trying to reasearch a ring, but keep getting hung up.

I have been told I want a ring that is EGL certified.

Most local shops sell IGI.

Found a few shops that sell EGL local, as well, Tiffanys.

My girlfriend found a ring on ebay she liked alot, it is GHI certified. I searched this site and google and still kinda clueless about this rating.

Here is the ring she sent me: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8902752324

Can anyone give me a thumbs up or down, or tell me if this diamond/ring are junk ? sorry I am so frustrated!

thank you very much, hope someone can help

Jensia

Shiny_Rock
I almost bought a ring from this guy, but he uses generic photos. WhenI asked him for a picture of the actual stone,
he couldnt give it to me, so I didnt buy it.

Jensia

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Never heard of GHI certs. I''d run not walk away.

its_me_that_guy

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys.
I have emailed him asking if i could pay for a EGL appraisel before purchasing.
He does have 1500 ebay feedback, 100% positive.

Looking to spend around $8k or under.

Girlfriend wants a Round Cut and 1.5c.

Any other ideas? much appreciated.

Garysax

Shiny_Rock
This situation sounds a little shady (generic pics, Jensia saying he won't send specific pictures???) if you ask me, and if an ebay deal sounds shady I personally would not go through with it. I'd hit up a reputable brick and mortar or established and credible online vendor. You can get a FANTASTIC diamond with 8K and be virtually 100% sure about the people you're dealing with.

Why so insistent on an EGL report, BTW? They're generally thought to be a more liberal than the usual GIA or AGS cert. If you were to ask what kind of cert to get to be safe I'd say you should get to be safe I'd say GIA...

Also, be safe. Get an independent appraiser's opinion on the stone when you buy it to be sure. Don't accept the stone until your appraiser tells you it matches the cert and is a good stone.

edit: I didn't see the requirement that it has to be 1.5. You're going to be hard pressed to find an extremely well cut 1.5c stone for 8K, like dancing fire said.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
that stone is too deep
38.gif
a nice GIA or AGS 1.5ct D SI 2 would be more like $10,800-$11k range.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm confused. You had already started one thread on this very subject and several of us offered our advice. Now you start a completely new thread asking pretty much the same question. Did you somehow magically think a different group of people would somehow tell you EGL grading reports were the best. We also told you Tiffany does not sell EGL graded diamonds. And IGI, well, if you like the quality of Zales, then you'll be pretty happy with an IGI stone.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/15/2006 10:18:57 AM
Author: fire&ice
Never heard of GHI certs. I''d run not walk away.
Gemological Horror Institution.
20.gif
33.gif

Garysax

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/15/2006 10:30:35 PM
Author: Rod
I''m confused. You had already started one thread on this very subject and several of us offered our advice. Now you start a completely new thread asking pretty much the same question. Did you somehow magically think a different group of people would somehow tell you EGL grading reports were the best. We also told you Tiffany does not sell EGL graded diamonds. And IGI, well, if you like the quality of Zales, then you''ll be pretty happy with an IGI stone.

I''m a little confused after now reading your other thread as well. We''re telling you the same thing as others did there.

That said, you''re going to have to make some sacrifices in color, clarity or cut to get the size you''re talking about. They gave you some nice suggestions on some good compromises (moving down to a J color or SI2 clarity). Remember that a round stone and a well cut stone hide color well. Personally I''d move down my size requirement and get a great cut w/great color and clarity but that''s just me--you''ve got a good budget for a fantastic stone, just not necessarily a fantastic colorless inclusion free 1.5 carat stone. Just remember there are really no free lunches with diamonds; you may find a D VVS2 1.5 carat on ebay or something for your quoted budget but I''d shudder to think what would be wrong with that stone, if you''d get the stone at all and what the cut would be like. Also remember why GIA and AGS have a price premium over EGL--because an appraiser would most likely tell you their color and clarity grading is much more accurate than EGL and also than IGI.

Small

Brilliant_Rock
I''m very new myself to this forum but there is no way I''d buy a diamond off of Ebay! I''ve had bad experiences buying toys from ebay and when a purchase is this important...I''d really trust what all of these people are telling you and listen to their opinions.

StonesThrow

Rough_Rock
Almost buying a ring off of Ebay is what led me to Pricescope...which led me to run as fast as I could from ebay

34.gif

its_me_that_guy

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/16/2006 2:02:47 AM
Author: Small
I''m very new myself to this forum but there is no way I''d buy a diamond off of Ebay! I''ve had bad experiences buying toys from ebay and when a purchase is this important...I''d really trust what all of these people are telling you and listen to their opinions.

Sorry did not mean to lead to confusion. I thought the way i titled this thread i wasnt getting as many responses as the other thread title.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results