shape
carat
color
clarity

Getting used to it

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
How long before it wasn''t weird calling him your husband? Lol I''m still getting used to it! I try to sign my last name whenever possible!

ilovethiswebsite

Brilliant_Rock
I am still getting used to it! I keep forgetting to sign with my new last name... But I do get irritated when friend, family and colleagues forget to refer to me as Mrs. His Last Name (like on invites, thank you cards etc)...

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
It''s been two months and I''m definitely still getting used to it. I haven''t changed my last name yet, so I''m still signing my maiden name, but just calling him my husband is weird enough!

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
tomorrow it will be 3 months, and even though I have now gotten used to referring to him as my husband when speaking to others about him, it is still weird for me to say it in front of him! my FIL called me yesterday and said, "May I speak to your husband?" and we all had a good laugh about that.

I didn''t change my signature or official name, but at work I changed my e-mail address, so everyone else has already gotten used to it and like to call me Mrs. His-Last-Name instead of my first name!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s nearly six months for me and I still find it funny when people refer to D as my husband or if they call me Mrs. hislastname. I haven''t done much about changing my name yet-will get around to it eventually so I think I''ve only signed my signature with my new name once or twice.

Inanna

Brilliant_Rock
Calling him husband already feels completely natural for me and its only been just over 2 weeks. However, we jokingly called each other husband and wife for months before we were married. Both of us hated using the term fiance to refer to each other.

Getting used to the new last name, however, could take a while. On Friday we set up joint bank accounts and I changed my last name at the social security office and the DMV. Its amazing how quick it was, but I''m really having trouble remembering to sign his last name now.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m still getting used to it and we''ve been married for almost 17 months. This will sound funny because I''m 36 (and my husband is 37), but I feel so grown up when saying that I have a husband. I did change my name when we got married, but it took a long time to get used to the idea of not using my maiden name anymore.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
When we first got married it was a little weird because I would be silly and leave him VMs that said "Hi, this is girlfriend, just seeing what you are doing." So that was a little weird refering to myself as wife.

A couple days after getting married he told me that he was at work and said "My wife cut her finger last night." Then he said that he loved starting sentences with "My wife"

Now that we have been married for a while I sometimes forget that I am married. Like when I am daydreaming about marrying someone rich and living in luxury for the rest of life or something like that and then I remember that I am already married and love my husband so much. It makes me smile.

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
We''ve been married for 15 months now, and while it feels normal now to call him my husband, the name change thing still catches me off guard at times. It''s kind of weird how different things make me feel, though. The general breakdown goes something like:

Feels totally normal:
Calling him my husband
Signing my new signature
Typing my new name (for emails, online shopping, etc)
Referring to his family as my in-laws

Catches my attention and makes me feel good:
Seeing my new name written by somebody else

Catches my attention and still just feels weird for a second:
Saying my new name
Hearing somebody refer to me by my new name
Seeing/hearing my old name

I think the differences really just have to do with the frequency of the different things. In my current situation it''s actually pretty rare to hear or say my full name, nor do I see my old name too frequently, so those are the things that still feel odd. I''m sure the only thing that won''t eventually move to the "feels normal" list is seeing or hearing my old name.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s been over a year and it''s still weird to say "this is my husband, _______" or refer to him as "my husband" when he''s not around.

BUT, labels were always weird for me. I only said "my boyfriend" when I was sure that the person I was with wouldn''t recognize his first name in conversation, and I avoided "my fiance" for the ENTIRETY of our engagement (really hated the "oh-em-gee you''re getting married, congrats, blah blah blah" attention). So if I haven''t gotten used to calling him "my boyfriend/fiance/husband/whatever" in the six years we''ve been together so far, I''m certainly not surprised that "my husband" is taking awhile, as well.

P.S. Even weirder is introducing myself as "Musey Marriedname." I simply don''t. Thank goodness I almost never have a need to use last names in introductions.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2009 1:46:43 AM
Author: ladyciel
We''ve been married for 15 months now, and while it feels normal now to call him my husband, the name change thing still catches me off guard at times. It''s kind of weird how different things make me feel, though. The general breakdown goes something like:

Feels totally normal:
Calling him my husband
Signing my new signature
Typing my new name (for emails, online shopping, etc)
Referring to his family as my in-laws

Catches my attention and makes me feel good:
Seeing my new name written by somebody else

Catches my attention and still just feels weird for a second:
Saying my new name
Hearing somebody refer to me by my new name
Seeing/hearing my old name

I think the differences really just have to do with the frequency of the different things. In my current situation it''s actually pretty rare to hear or say my full name, nor do I see my old name too frequently, so those are the things that still feel odd. I''m sure the only thing that won''t eventually move to the ''feels normal'' list is seeing or hearing my old name.
Shoulda just read through everything and ditto''d you, LC! This is mostly how I feel (minus calling my husband feeling normal).

I''m also still using my maiden name professionally, so that creates more inner conflict over the name, I think.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Calling him my husband is totally normal now.

I still haven''t changed my name and it drives DH bonkers though. I''ve gotta get on that!

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Still feel weird calling him my husband. It''s been 2 months.

I feel like I''m "Playing House"

Like.. when did I get old enough to have a *husband*? ... strange! I''m 27! I''m plenty old enough!
2.gif

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Still getting used to it, definitely.

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/14/2009 9:53:22 AM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Calling him my husband is totally normal now.

I still haven''t changed my name and it drives DH bonkers though. I''ve gotta get on that!
Ditto! DH is really upset that I haven''t changed my name yet!

Keepingthefaith21

Brilliant_Rock
I''m getting used to it. My name is at this weird point: some things have been changed over, others haven''t.

I still haven''t gotten to the bank. It seems every Saturday where I have time to pop in, it''s the week I am due a paycheck. I am terrified that my direct deposit will bounce back because it is being sent with my maiden name - I keep telling myself I have to go this Saturday since I will be paid Friday and have two weeks before my next paycheck. DH wants me to move along with the bank stuff because we have undeposited checks from our wedding with my new name - he thinks I am being rude taking this long. Meh.

What''s really strange for me is looking for my new name in alphabetical lists - I keep looking for myself in the D''s instead of the R''s...that will take a bit of time!

iloveny

Shiny_Rock
I''m just now getting used to it- we''ve been married for two months, and up until the last week or so I would like make a funny face when I had to use the term "husband" in reference to him. My name change is now official, but I keep signing my maiden name on receipts and stuff...

sctsbride09

Brilliant_Rock
Im used to it now, but I still LOVE it. We just celebrated 1 year.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Oddly enough, I remember calling DH my husband during our reception and it felt super normal to me - not weird at all. I''d also warmed very quickly to fiance, though.

I love the way my new last name sounds with my first, so that didn''t take long at all to get used to, either, but it wasn''t immediate. I''d say it was about 6 months until I was really comfortable saying "Hi, I''m Elmorton Newlastname." I HATED leaving voicemails when we were first married. I''d leave my first middle last (my middle=maiden) so it was a bit awkward to say.

What feels weird now is when people forget...my dad still calls me by my first and middle name sometimes, and it''s a little sad, because I legally dropped my old middle name. Some friends still insist on keeping me in their phones under my old last name, because my last name clicked really well with my first (I was one of those people that friends often called me by my first and last name together), and they say it''s weird to call me by my new last name, too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results