carat
color
clarity

Getting older isn't so bad when you consider the alternative

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Getting older isn't so bad when you consider the alterna

I haven't been around much. I apologize for that. I'm trying to play catch up but on most days, time just won't allow.

colorluvr, I'm terribly sorry to hear that you lost your Mom. Soft hugs honey.

soocool

Ideal_Rock

Upgradable said:
Okay, floors done, bookcase done, kitchen done. :knockout:

Just need to stay focused to finish the rest. I'd love to share a funny story with you, but my brain is apparently on "low" today. Sorry.

Uppy when you're done there, I could sure use some help here ! Oh, excuse me. The dryer is calling.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

cnspotts said:
Matata said:
Hair, hair every where
Here a hair, there a hair
Everywhere a hair hair
I'm hairy noon and night, hair that's a fright
I'm hairy high and low, don't ask me why, don't know

And I got tired of making time to get it waxed, sooooooooo today I bought myself a wax warmer & wax. Tomorrow morning I will attack the peach fuzz on my cheeks, the unibrow, the chin hairs, and who knows, maybe even the hair on my big toes. Bwaaaaaahaaaaaaahaaaaa, I am the mad waxing woman of Oregon.

Okay, I've spent most of life here lurking and this particular post has me rolling so hard that I'm going to peeeee in my pants if I'm not careful. Obviously you have not yet used that little home hot waxing device, lol, as I chuckle. I've been in the "biz" for years and thought it would be a good idea myself once, twice, maybe a couple times until there was that one day that I just couldn't bring myself to pull the strip of fabric slathered with too hot wax that was securely stuck to my special place. What a dilema that turns into because now you've got a mess on your hands and very little courage to endure the pain this last time and pretty sure that you're not gonna be able to get into your clothes so you can drive to a friends to get them to pull the painfull POS off either.

ROFL -- Thanks for sharing your hairy horror story. I just finished waxing. No problemo. I'm waxing only my face, nothing south of the chin. Based on advice from my professional waxer, I don't use the wax that needs the cloth strips. I use hard wax, no strips, just wax & let 'er rip. Strangely it doesn't hurt as much when I do it to myself.

We're a hardy and handy group when it comes to self maintenance. Have you read Uppy's method of removing skin tags? I did need a wee bit of the amber joy juice the first time I de-tagged, just for courage and internal antiseptic reasons, but it was really easy and pain free.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

Matata said:
cnspotts said:
Matata said:
Hair, hair every where
Here a hair, there a hair
Everywhere a hair hair
I'm hairy noon and night, hair that's a fright
I'm hairy high and low, don't ask me why, don't know

And I got tired of making time to get it waxed, sooooooooo today I bought myself a wax warmer & wax. Tomorrow morning I will attack the peach fuzz on my cheeks, the unibrow, the chin hairs, and who knows, maybe even the hair on my big toes. Bwaaaaaahaaaaaaahaaaaa, I am the mad waxing woman of Oregon.

Okay, I've spent most of life here lurking and this particular post has me rolling so hard that I'm going to peeeee in my pants if I'm not careful. Obviously you have not yet used that little home hot waxing device, lol, as I chuckle. I've been in the "biz" for years and thought it would be a good idea myself once, twice, maybe a couple times until there was that one day that I just couldn't bring myself to pull the strip of fabric slathered with too hot wax that was securely stuck to my special place. What a dilema that turns into because now you've got a mess on your hands and very little courage to endure the pain this last time and pretty sure that you're not gonna be able to get into your clothes so you can drive to a friends to get them to pull the painfull POS off either.

ROFL -- Thanks for sharing your hairy horror story. I just finished waxing. No problemo. I'm waxing only my face, nothing south of the chin. Based on advice from my professional waxer, I don't use the wax that needs the cloth strips. I use hard wax, no strips, just wax & let 'er rip. Strangely it doesn't hurt as much when I do it to myself.

We're a hardy and handy group when it comes to self maintenance. Have you read Uppy's method of removing skin tags? I did need a wee bit of the amber joy juice the first time I de-tagged, just for courage and internal antiseptic reasons, but it was really easy and pain free.
:appl: :appl: :appl:

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock

Good morning ladies (and any gents who lurk)

Once again, I want to thank all of you for your good thoughts and to give bigs hugs to all who need it (and to those who don't, cause sooner or later, you will :(sad )

Random thoughts and responses that I was going to make over the past few months, but never did.

Growing too much hair: Not here, I'm with the group that is pretty much almost bodily hairless these days.. I never was very hairy and now I'm even less. My DH laughs at me when I say I need to shave and he says "what, all 17 of them?". I guess the good thing is that I don't have to shave very often any more... It's a good thing because I have lots of fun (not) things growing in my armpits these days, so shaving becomes an ordeal of obstacle (sp?) avoidance. It used to take me 20 seconds to shave my underarms... now it takes 10 times that long and I have 1/10 of the hair I used to have. Same thing with my legs....used to just do it in the shower and not think about it.... now I have to put on my glasses (the ones I use to read), put my leg up on the sink (so there is enough light to see) and see if I can find the stragglers that I invariably missed in the shower. Those soft little suckers can still get to 1/2 inch in length, even if there are only 17 of them. The downside of being a semi-hairless creature (to those of you with quills on your face that hate me) is that I've never had gorgeous locks of hair... just fine, northern European (like my Danish g-ma) semi - curly PIA stuff that has NEVER been very pretty. I don't think I have any less on my head than I used to, I've just never HAD much. I would have gladly shaved my legs twice a day when I was young in exchange for a gorgeous mane of hair. So, I guess I feel like I kind of deserve the "not much hair anywhere" status that I now enjoy.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock

Speakings of hair... it's now on to the eyebrows/eye lashes (or lack there of).... I've NEVER had hardly any eyebrows.... nor did my mom or sister or any of the women on my mom's moms (there's that hairless Dane again) side of the family. My mom was lucky enough to get some of her dad's (German) nice hair, but not the eyebrows. I used eye brow pencil when I was younger (yes, even when everyone else was sporting those Brooks Shield brows) and 10 years ago I got mine tatooed on.... They are still quite light and I would say look like I used a light brown pencil on them, but at least they are there when I wake up in the morning.

HOWEVER, I did used to have a pretty decent set of eyelashes.... They had to be coated with mascara to see them, but they were pretty long and average thickness, so in my youth (with a little help from mascarra and soft shadow) I used to have pretty decent looking eyes (if I do say so myself).

Nowdays, however, they are 1/2 as thick as they used to be (the lashes, not the eyes), so even though they grow as long as they used to, the gray ones, and there are now several of them, grow at odd angles and refuse to be curled, no matter how hard I try, so once again, a process that used to take just a couple of minutes (slapping on some mascara) now takes 10 minutes.

Attempt to curl / curse because the gray ones won't/ attempt to put mascara on lashes (need 10x mirror to do this) separate / attempt to curl again / mess up mascara so start over / curl / can't get the gray ones to stay in the curler / curl anyway / attempt to put on mascara again on the ones that I missed the first two times / separate those few that actually curled so it doesn't look like I only have three / look in the mirror / get depressed and then say f**k it, no one cares or knows me around here anyway.... and leave the house looking like I forgot to put on mascara.

I used to NEVER leave the house without at least mascara on...... nowadays, putting on mascara seldom seems worth the effort, although I definitely do look better when I make the effort. I always "try" when I am going somewhere special, but that seldoms happens, so I usually just say to hell with it.

BTW, I did have very thin eyeliner tatooed on my eyelids several years ago and it definitely helped... it was just supposed to add to my makeup, not be a "stand alone" as it is today......

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock

Uppy,

You are an inspiration, so I think I may actually attempt to pick up/clean the house today. Not for any company, as I never have any. The only people (other than my DH and son) who have ever been in this house since we moved in over a year ago is my landlord (once on our lease renewal date) and a friend of my sons..... sigh. My DH is just the opposite of a neat freak, so it will only be for me, but I always feel better after it is done, so maybe today will be the day.

Keeping the floors clean is a never ending battle with two furry dogs and tons of "forest products" that come in on our shoes and the dog's feet, but I try..... I truly do try.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock

Quick question for you all knowing ladies (and then I'll stop hoarding this thread). Do any of you know of a place to sell / post for sale, etc. etc. (other than ebay) vintage costume jewelry?

I have a ton of it from my great aunt. Some of it is signature stuff and some not, but a lot of it is very nice and never worn. My great aunt's daughter (who was a teacher in SF in the 50's and early 60's) bought her a lot of it back then and it is now in my possession. I'm not (or have ever been) a big brooch/pin/earring wearer, but I see in More magazine (yes, it is the only mag I get also) that some of the vintage stuff is coming back in vogue. (page 22 of Nov issue for those of you who have the mag).

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

colorluvr said:
Speakings of hair... it's now on to the eyebrows/eye lashes (or lack there of).... I've NEVER had hardly any eyebrows.... nor did my mom or sister or any of the women on my mom's moms (there's that hairless Dane again) side of the family. My mom was lucky enough to get some of her dad's (German) nice hair, but not the eyebrows. I used eye brow pencil when I was younger (yes, even when everyone else was sporting those Brooks Shield brows) and 10 years ago I got mine tatooed on.... They are still quite light and I would say look like I used a light brown pencil on them, but at least they are there when I wake up in the morning.

HOWEVER, I did used to have a pretty decent set of eyelashes.... They had to be coated with mascara to see them, but they were pretty long and average thickness, so in my youth (with a little help from mascarra and soft shadow) I used to have pretty decent looking eyes (if I do say so myself).

Nowdays, however, they are 1/2 as thick as they used to be (the lashes, not the eyes), so even though they grow as long as they used to, the gray ones, and there are now several of them, grow at odd angles and refuse to be curled, no matter how hard I try, so once again, a process that used to take just a couple of minutes (slapping on some mascara) now takes 10 minutes.

Attempt to curl / curse because the gray ones won't/ attempt to put mascara on lashes (need 10x mirror to do this) separate / attempt to curl again / mess up mascara so start over / curl / can't get the gray ones to stay in the curler / curl anyway / attempt to put on mascara again on the ones that I missed the first two times / separate those few that actually curled so it doesn't look like I only have three / look in the mirror / get depressed and then say f**k it, no one cares or knows me around here anyway.... and leave the house looking like I forgot to put on mascara.

I used to NEVER leave the house without at least mascara on...... nowadays, putting on mascara seldom seems worth the effort, although I definitely do look better when I make the effort. I always "try" when I am going somewhere special, but that seldoms happens, so I usually just say to hell with it.
BTW, I did have very thin eyeliner tatooed on my eyelids several years ago and it definitely helped... it was just supposed to add to my makeup, not be a "stand alone" as it is today......
+1 to this, Sister!! Though I'm more than a little bit heavier than I was in my glory days (John Cougar Mellankamp soundtrack playing in my head), when I doody myself up I can still look pretty good. However, the amount of effort it takes to try and get there IS NOT WORTH IT!!

Shower and shave (then have to wait 20-30 minutes to stop sweating AND bleeding), try to do something with curly hair (that is more stubborn than my 18yr old son with Down syndrome), slather on the makeup (I need my glasses to see, and it's damned hard to put on eye makeup while wearing the glasses). I totally empathize with the disappearing eyebrows and lashes. I'd try that Latisse crap that Brooke Shields has been hawking, but I have light blue eyes and I'd rather they not get muddy brown spots in them! Now, after all of this effort, I'm sweating again, and I haven't even approached my closet!!!! :errrr:

Oh, mylanta! Totally NOT worth the effort. :!:

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock

Upgradable said:
+1 to this, Sister!! Though I'm more than a little bit heavier than I was in my glory days (John Cougar Mellankamp soundtrack playing in my head), when I doody myself up I can still look pretty good. However, the amount of effort it takes to try and get there IS NOT WORTH IT!!

Shower and shave (then have to wait 20-30 minutes to stop sweating AND bleeding), try to do something with curly hair (that is more stubborn than my 18yr old son with Down syndrome), slather on the makeup (I need my glasses to see, and it's damned hard to put on eye makeup while wearing the glasses). I totally empathize with the disappearing eyebrows and lashes. I'd try that Latisse crap that Brooke Shields has been hawking, but I have light blue eyes and I'd rather they not get muddy brown spots in them! Now, after all of this effort, I'm sweating again, and I haven't even approached my closet!!!! :errrr:

I dyed my own eyelashes several years ago and I have considered doing that again, but it is quite time consuming and you have to be careful and not get it in your eye or on your skin, so you really have to be in the mood which I haven't been, but maybe soon. I had it done professionally once, but she didn't take the time to get all my tiny blonde ones (which make up easily half of mine) so I felt it was a waste of money because I did a better job than she did.

As far as the makeup thing, I suggest you bite the bullet and buy an "expensive" makeup magnifying mirror. They go as high as 15x and should work, even without your glasses on. The cheap ones aren't worth it because they distort... the only down side is you need to remember that you don't look "quite that bad" in real life, or the enlarged pores, wrinkles, etc. will send you running to your antidepressant drug of choice.

BTW, I've gotten my kitchen all sparkly and a couple of loads of laundry done so far, so at least the entire day hasn't been a bust (oh, and I'm packing away all of my "summer" clothes because I don't have much closet space in this house).... now it's off to the shower and attempt to make myself presentable enough for the post office / bank / and various other errands that I have avoided all week. It's raining again, so getting all of the forest products off the floor would just be a waste of time (well, that's my excuse anyway and I'm sticking to it!)

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

colorluvr said:
Good morning ladies (and any gents who lurk)

Once again, I want to thank all of you for your good thoughts and to give bigs hugs to all who need it (and to those who don't, cause sooner or later, you will :(sad )

Random thoughts and responses that I was going to make over the past few months, but never did.

Growing too much hair: Not here, I'm with the group that is pretty much almost bodily hairless these days.. I never was very hairy and now I'm even less. My DH laughs at me when I say I need to shave and he says "what, all 17 of them?". I guess the good thing is that I don't have to shave very often any more... It's a good thing because I have lots of fun (not) things growing in my armpits these days, so shaving becomes an ordeal of obstacle (sp?) avoidance. It used to take me 20 seconds to shave my underarms... now it takes 10 times that long and I have 1/10 of the hair I used to have. Same thing with my legs....used to just do it in the shower and not think about it.... now I have to put on my glasses (the ones I use to read), put my leg up on the sink (so there is enough light to see) and see if I can find the stragglers that I invariably missed in the shower. Those soft little suckers can still get to 1/2 inch in length, even if there are only 17 of them. The downside of being a semi-hairless creature (to those of you with quills on your face that hate me) is that I've never had gorgeous locks of hair... just fine, northern European (like my Danish g-ma) semi - curly PIA stuff that has NEVER been very pretty. I don't think I have any less on my head than I used to, I've just never HAD much. I would have gladly shaved my legs twice a day when I was young in exchange for a gorgeous mane of hair. So, I guess I feel like I kind of deserve the "not much hair anywhere" status that I now enjoy.

OMG. I am so laughing. :) I'm on the less end of the spectrum too. But then gen-u-wine menopause hasn't hit just yet either, so ask me again in a few years. But I suspect that I will stay pretty much this way. I'm just glad I never had the thickets to mow on my legs. For some friends of mine, it was this THING, fraught with pain and mental suffering. Luckily I'm still in the 30-seconds-in-the-shower-once-a-week camp. And ditto on the fine hair on the head. I always wished I'd had more. But at least it's on the red side, I like that.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

colorluvr said:
Upgradable said:

I dyed my own eyelashes several years ago and I have considered doing that again, but it is quite time consuming and you have to be careful and not get it in your eye or on your skin, so you really have to be in the mood which I haven't been, but maybe soon. I had it done professionally once, but she didn't take the time to get all my tiny blonde ones (which make up easily half of mine) so I felt it was a waste of money because I did a better job than she did.

As far as the makeup thing, I suggest you bite the bullet and buy an "expensive" makeup magnifying mirror. They go as high as 15x and should work, even without your glasses on. The cheap ones aren't worth it because they distort... the only down side is you need to remember that you don't look "quite that bad" in real life, or the enlarged pores, wrinkles, etc. will send you running to your antidepressant drug of choice.

BTW, I've gotten my kitchen all sparkly and a couple of loads of laundry done so far, so at least the entire day hasn't been a bust (oh, and I'm packing away all of my "summer" clothes because I don't have much closet space in this house).... now it's off to the shower and attempt to make myself presentable enough for the post office / bank / and various other errands that I have avoided all week. It's raining again, so getting all of the forest products off the floor would just be a waste of time (well, that's my excuse anyway and I'm sticking to it!)

Again, you're making me laugh! I finally broke down about a year ago, and got a decent magnifying mirror, although now I'd love a bigger one with a LIGHT in it, like they have in nicer hotels. Mai Gawd, but I simply cannot LIVE without that thing! And yes, you just have to ignore the pores that look the size of craters. The fact that I don't have mascara on my eyebrows at least, justifies the pain of having to see my skin that closely....

iLander

Ideal_Rock

Okay, I have a question:

One the first day of my period, for the last 2 months, I have (almost) fainted! What is this about? Is this about menopause? Or blood pressure?

First time, I was walking outside at a street fair and got so hot, it was unbearable! Then I had to sit down or I would have fallen down. I got really woozy, and couldn't walk steady for over 4 hours. I had to go home, the sudden exhaustion was overwhelming, and I napped, which I NEVER do. I've never really had hot flashes, but the weakness was the worst part. It wasn't hot enough for heat stroke, I've had that, that's not it.

The second time, I was especially tense and started to feel faint. I went to a restroom and threw up. Then I was so weak, I couldn't walk even a couple of steps. I had to have security take me to the car in a wheelchair, and when I was home I had tremendous chills and even the next day I couldn't walk more than a few steps. I wasn't normal again for 3 days!

Both times, I had trouble focusing, and kind of addled. I am only in my late 40's, and have always been able to push through minor discomforts. But the weakness was more than I could handle. Never had any blood pressure issues, usually it's on the low side.

So, what the heck is this? :-o

Next period, I'm just staying home! :bigsmile:

risingsun

Ideal_Rock

iLander said:
Okay, I have a question:

One the first day of my period, for the last 2 months, I have (almost) fainted! What is this about? Is this about menopause? Or blood pressure?

First time, I was walking outside at a street fair and got so hot, it was unbearable! Then I had to sit down or I would have fallen down. I got really woozy, and couldn't walk steady for over 4 hours. I had to go home, the sudden exhaustion was overwhelming, and I napped, which I NEVER do. I've never really had hot flashes, but the weakness was the worst part. It wasn't hot enough for heat stroke, I've had that, that's not it.

The second time, I was especially tense and started to feel faint. I went to a restroom and threw up. Then I was so weak, I couldn't walk even a couple of steps. I had to have security take me to the car in a wheelchair, and when I was home I had tremendous chills and even the next day I couldn't walk more than a few steps. I wasn't normal again for 3 days!

Both times, I had trouble focusing, and kind of addled. I am only in my late 40's, and have always been able to push through minor discomforts. But the weakness was more than I could handle. Never had any blood pressure issues, usually it's on the low side.

Please contact your gyn to discuss these symptoms. I don't know what it is either, but it's best to find out for sure!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

risingsun said:
iLander said:
Okay, I have a question:

Please contact your gyn to discuss these symptoms. I don't know what it is either, but it's best to find out for sure!

I agree you should contact your doctor about this. In the last 8 months or so right before my period I now experience intense cramping and nausea and sometimes I feel as I am about to faint but it is not as severe as what you just described. I chalk it up to peri-menopause (or hopefully peri-peri menopause LOL as I am not ready for that just yet!)

soocool

Ideal_Rock

iLander,

Please listen to me. See your family doctor right away. Write down everything that happened.

Back in February I experienced some strange things and as you could handle minor discomfort, but it was strange enough to worry me. If you read an early post of mine you would know that all this lead to me getting a pacemaker because my heart was beating less than 40 beats per minute and I had several long pauses that were life threatening.

I am not saying that you have what I have, but fluctuating hormones can stress the heart. If you felt faint this could have been blood pressure related, but it could also be something called coronary artery spasms. From what I have read these affect many women when they are getting their periods.

Feeling like you are going to faint means that you are not getting enough blood flow and therefore oxygen to your brain. When you are feeling like this the best thing is not to keep walking, but lie down with your legs propped up. The last thing you need is to pass out and hurt yourself. If afterwards you still don't feel well call your doctor and have him refer you to a cardiologist to make sure.

Things to write down: was you heart racing while this was happening or was your pulse very slow. Were you hydrated? Dehydration will make you feel faint. If it was hot your heart works harder to cool the body, take your pulse on you wrist to see what is.

Please, please do not take these symptoms lightly. It is better to get checked out than to check out.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sheesh Ilander, get thee hence to a doctor! It could be so many things. I was thinking heart issues as well, or early symptoms of stroke. It could also be low blood pressure that needs treating, or even blood sugar issues like hypoglycemia or diabetes. Maybe even anemia. There are so many possibilities, but each one is treatable when caught early on. Take care!

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock

iLander - I completely agree with everyone's suggestion to get yourself to a doctor asap.

I used to have horrendous periods when I was young (hence the reason for having my uterus removed when I was only 32) and I occasionally would black out when I first got up in the morning from a combination of blood loss/low blood pressure..... BUT, and this is a big but, after I would sit my butt down on the floor and wait a few minutes for the blackness/stars to disappear, I would be fine..... maybe a little light headed for a minute or two, but NOTHING like what you are describing, and I had days when I absolutely could not leave the house for fear of an "accident".

What you are explaining sounds like there could be more to it than just low blood pressure/blood loss. Please get yourself checked out ASAP.

iLander

Ideal_Rock

Ugh! I don't wanna go doctor . . . :nono:

I feel fine now . . .

Sigh. . .

Everybody has is so much worse than me, I really shouldn't have even mentioned it. Sometimes people just feel faint, when they get all riled up or overheated or whatever. I hate the doctor treadmill and sometimes they can't even figure anything out, so it's a waste of time AND money. I'm going back to the pearls thread. . . (where's a pouty emoticon when you need it?)

How did I get from the age of "It's probably nothing" to "It could be something", so damn fast?!! :lol:

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

iLander said:
Ugh! I don't wanna go doctor . . . :nono:

I feel fine now . . .

Sigh. . .

Everybody has is so much worse than me, I really shouldn't have even mentioned it. Sometimes people just feel faint, when they get all riled up or overheated or whatever. I hate the doctor treadmill and sometimes they can't even figure anything out, so it's a waste of time AND money. I'm going back to the pearls thread. . . (where's a pouty emoticon when you need it?)

How did I get from the age of "It's probably nothing" to "It could be something", so damn fast?!! :lol:

GO!!!!

We mean it...!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ksinger said:
OMG. I am so laughing. :) I'm on the less end of the spectrum too. But then gen-u-wine menopause hasn't hit just yet either, so ask me again in a few years. But I suspect that I will stay pretty much this way. I'm just glad I never had the thickets to mow on my legs. For some friends of mine, it was this THING, fraught with pain and mental suffering. Luckily I'm still in the 30-seconds-in-the-shower-once-a-week camp. And ditto on the fine hair on the head. I always wished I'd had more. But at least it's on the red side, I like that.

HA! no doubt you'll likely remain hairless or nearly so on areas that are currently that way. However, the way it works with menopause is that hair grows in areas where it never before appeared -- tips of ears, inside ears, chin....and let's not forget to pay homage to the Menopause Mustache -- those quill like structures that can puncture tires and always grow in black even if you're a blond. You have much to look forward to.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I feel like buttah....got a therapeutic massage and was adjusted by my chiro today. The massage therapist said she hadn't seen anyone with muscles as tight as mine in ages but I didn't get any sort of prize for being the most uptight person seen in ages :bigsmile: . The massage was quite painful but afterward I felt like I was floating.

My pelvis gets out of alignment and when that happens my toes point outward when I walk which is actually a waddle and that throws out every joint I own. It's sooo darn nice to have my toes pointing forward again. Now all I need is 2 Advil and a glass of wine to take the sting out of the after effects of the massage and I'll be right as rain (whatever that means).

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Matata said:
ksinger said:

HA! no doubt you'll likely remain hairless or nearly so on areas that are currently that way. However, the way it works with menopause is that hair grows in areas where it never before appeared -- tips of ears, inside ears, chin....and let's not forget to pay homage to the Menopause Mustache -- those quill like structures that can puncture tires and always grow in black even if you're a blond. You have much to look forward to.

I'm sorry, but I refuse to accept this. Totally. You cannot sway me. It will NOT happen to ME. I MEAN it. Dammit.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

If I am the butt of another joke, or my mother cleans another appliance, drawer, or closet and then comments on how much better it looks, I am going to have to kill someone. This is not going well!!! :angryfire:

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I heard that they're coming out with a Latisse that will be just for eyebrows. I'm all for that. Half of the hair on my eyebrows fell out because of my thyroid problems. It would be GREAT if I could paint this stuff on just where I want the hair to grow back, so I wouldn't have to use an eyebrow pencil anymore.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

Upgradable said:
If I am the butt of another joke, or my mother cleans another appliance, drawer, or closet and then comments on how much better it looks, I am going to have to kill someone. This is not going well!!! :angryfire:
I just dosed my coffee with a large measure of kaluha and cream. Maybe that will help.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Upgradable said:

Hang in there Uppy. I'm happy your Mom is on her feet and is still able to do physical things. My mother is in a nursing home, (compliments of my stupid self-centered sister), confined to a wheelchair, wearing adult diapers and taking Aricept. I wish I could turn back the clock about fifteen years for her sake. I really wouldn't mind her being in the kitchen with me and taking the lid off a pot of something I was cooking to tell me that I should add a little more something to it.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

gemgirl said:
Upgradable said:

Hang in there Uppy. I'm happy your Mom is on her feet and is still able to do physical things. My mother is in a nursing home, (compliments of my stupid self-centered sister), confined to a wheelchair, wearing adult diapers and taking Aricept. I wish I could turn back the clock about fifteen years for her sake. I really wouldn't mind her being in the kitchen with me and taking the lid off a pot of something I was cooking to tell me that I should add a little more something to it.
Gemmy, you are right. And thank you very much for giving me some much needed perspective! I do have so much to be thankful for, including the fact that she has now pulled everything out of my tupperware cupboard and is "organizing" it. :cheeky:

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Upgradable said:
gemgirl said:
Upgradable said:

Gemmy, you are right. And thank you very much for giving me some much needed perspective! I do have so much to be thankful for, including the fact that she has now pulled everything out of my tupperware cupboard and is "organizing" it. :cheeky:

Oh honey, tell her "Ma, knock yourself out! Here's a list of things I *know* i've been neglecting lately"..... Hey, it makes them happy!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Uppy, I know this is hard on you and hurtful too. That said, if you want to send her up here to organize my house, I'd probably even pay her flights. Last time my MIL visited, she organized my pantry. It actually never occurred to me to be disgruntled or embarrassed. She did a great job! She likes to keep busy and be helpful. Maybe the same is true for your mom, she just lacks the verbal shut-off that would be nice.

I have a selfish vent today. Well, for starters, does anyone know where my loupe ran off to? I got my ebay goodie yesterday and sure enough, can't find my loupe that I've had for 30 years!! :nono: All I had was my idealscope, which gave a very amiguous reading seeing as how the diamond is set in an etoile inspired setting. I think it might be steep, but it faces up the proper size at least. It sparkles, I *love* the setting. However, we're all pretty clinical here about diamonds right? When we take a chance on ebay we want to know we didn't get fleeced. Well, apparently my clinical comments and close examinations (attempts at anyway) made my DH feel that I didn't like the ring or was disappointed. He said he wasn't ever going to get any more jewellery online, because he thinks I'm always disappointed! ;( He just doesn't understand that I want to make sure he didn't overpay. I took the ring to my jeweller to be sized ($200 because they have to remove the stone to do it and it is extremely thick band). Jeweler seemed to like it. I have an appt. in 3 weeks for an appraisal and I'm guessing it'll appraise for 3 times what I paid minimum. (.76 G VS1) I'm very happy with it. I guess I don't squeal and cry, and that seems underwhelming to DH. I hope he changes his mind on the online purchases too. I still want a pear diamond and a pendant at least. One or the other for my 50th birthday. Maybe. Who knows by then. :halo:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results