color
clarity

Getting older isn't so bad when you consider the alternative

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Re: Getting older isn't so bad when you consider the alterna

ksinger said:
Upgradable said:
two good sleeps in a row, church with hubby & kids (and guests OUPeargirl & her SO), nice lunch, productive afternoon (with small nap), cleaned kitchen after dinner, now snuggling next to hubby to watch Amazing Race.

wonderful weekend!!! hope yours was too!!

Wow. Must be something in the air. I had a great day today too - I cleaned, and did laundry, and cooked an entire meal- and cleaned up again after that meal. In between went to hang out in the hottub at the gym. Laughed and joked with hubs. Good day. Good days stand out because they come so infrequently.

Here's to another good day tomorrow for both of us! :)

Oh, Uppy dear, if you read this before tomorrow, bring your camera, will ya? Mine is still dead and as-yet unreplaced. I'm thinking we will suffer the tortures of the damned and the wrath of the thread if we fail to post at least one pic....

You are correct in that assumption. One pic--hah!! Try harder :lol:

soocool

Ideal_Rock

Some light (ahem!) reading for those who may be interested:

The Cancer + Chronic Pain Wonder Cure?

You’ve probably heard that curry powder is a powerful antioxidant—the spice tumeric, and specifically a compound in it called curcumin, has been shown in multiple lab and animal studies to slow the growth of, and even kill, cancer cells. After reading this you probably think, like I have many times, “Gee, I should eat more Indian food, when I’m not eating more berries, cruciferous vegetables, seaweed, red wine, green tea, Brazil nuts and all those other antioxidant-packed wonder foods” (I sometimes feel full just thinking about the list of cancer-fighting essential foods I’m supposed to be eating every day). But it seems hard, for me anyway, to work a lot of curry powder into my diet. I am crazy about Indian food, but when I cook it at home I’m always disappointed with the results, and I can't afford a whole lot of take-out. I do love roasted cauliflower coated in curry powder, and also like to sprinkle curry on popcorn, but still, it seems that there’s only so much curry a non-Indian woman can consume.

So, I was happy to talk to Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum about curcumin, because he told me a few interesting things:

1.Eating curry powder probably isn’t the best way to consume curcumin, because it’s not easily absorbed in powdered form, when the essential oils have been stripped from it. In fact, consuming curry seems to be most effective at preventing colon cancer (compared to other cancers), precisely because the curcumin isn’t well absorbed in the small intestine and therefore reaches the colon.
2.There are two supplements, called Curamed and Curamin in the US, that allow curcumin to be easily absorbed by the body, and, obviously, allow you to reap its benefits without ordering Indian take-out for dinner every night.
3.In addition to its anticancer properties, curcumin is a natural anti-inflammatory that’s excellent at relieving chronic pain caused by disorders such as fibromyalgia and arthritis, according to Dr. Teitelbaum, without hurting your stomach the way some anti-inflammatory drugs can. There's also evidence that it breaks up the amyloid plaques associated with Alzheimer's.
He recommends that people suffering from chronic pain disorders take the supplement Curamin, and that those of us looking for cancer prevention and general health boosting take Curamed. Both supplements are made by Europharma, which is the only company selling this particular curcumin formulation in the United States. I should add that Dr. Teitelbaum isn’t paid by Europharma (or by any drug or supplement companies) to promote their products, he just talks about them because he believes that they work and are the best quality curcumin/tumeric supplements out there.

If you suffer from fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue syndrome (and even if you don’t) you should check out Dr. Teitelbaum’s website, called End Fatigue, http://www.endfatigue.com/ to learn more about his philosophy on conquering these illnesses.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

Thank you, SooCool, for sharing this info and link. Some of my best strategies for mastering this challenge have been suggestions just like this!

On a personal note.... another good night's sleep. And ksinger and I are getting together to troll the local jewelry and antique shops today. I promise pictures! Have a great day all!!! :wavey:

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

risingsun said:
ksinger said:
Upgradable said:
two good sleeps in a row, church with hubby & kids (and guests OUPeargirl & her SO), nice lunch, productive afternoon (with small nap), cleaned kitchen after dinner, now snuggling next to hubby to watch Amazing Race.

wonderful weekend!!! hope yours was too!!

Wow. Must be something in the air. I had a great day today too - I cleaned, and did laundry, and cooked an entire meal- and cleaned up again after that meal. In between went to hang out in the hottub at the gym. Laughed and joked with hubs. Good day. Good days stand out because they come so infrequently.

Here's to another good day tomorrow for both of us! :)

Oh, Uppy dear, if you read this before tomorrow, bring your camera, will ya? Mine is still dead and as-yet unreplaced. I'm thinking we will suffer the tortures of the damned and the wrath of the thread if we fail to post at least one pic....

You are correct in that assumption. One pic--hah!! Try harder :lol:

If I wasn't quaking in abject fear right now, I'd be LMAO. ;))

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Upgradable said:
Thank you, SooCool, for sharing this info and link. Some of my best strategies for mastering this challenge have been suggestions just like this!

On a personal note.... another good night's sleep. And ksinger and I are getting together to troll the local jewelry and antique shops today. I promise pictures! Have a great day all!!! :wavey:

Yep. I'm rarin' to go too. Maybe it's the crisp morning? Who knows, but I feel like a human today! Whoo hooo!!

I've even lined up a jewelry store that's liquidating! Could be interesting.... :naughty: :naughty:

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

Karen and I had a fabulous time today!!! Lots of lusting after sparklies, a nice lunch, and lots of good talk!! I'll let her decide what pictures she'd like to post, but I found a couple of things that caught my eye today: a nifty rubellite tourmaline ring, a set of turquoise, chrysoprase, and diamond earrings and bracelet set in yellow gold, and a 1.87 Royal Asscher!!! I was too wowed to remember to take pictures of the asscher. :nono:

rubellite at Naifeh.JPG

turquoise at Naifeh.JPG

rubellite side at Naifeh.JPG

Lula

Ideal_Rock

Thanks for the photos, Uppy! I am so jealous of your fun day with Karen. And I :love: :love: :love: that rubellite ring. The size and color of the stone and that incredible YG setting - wow! How much was it, do you recall?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

I wish I had written all the info down. I was trying hard to be "cool" as opposed to my usual gooby self! :wacko:

I think the ring was about $2400.

Lula

Ideal_Rock

Upgradable said:
I wish I had written all the info down. I was trying hard to be "cool" as opposed to my usual gooby self! :wacko:

I think the ring was about $2400.

Ha-ha! You look "cool" in the pictures, but, hey, here on PS, we love your gooby self! Thanks for the approximate price -- less than I thought it would be, but I know zippo about colored stone pricing.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

OK...my turn....

Pardon the hands. The freckled ones are MINE: Liposuction might be a boon, but I'd keep a few lumps and bumps if I could get my young hands back...sigh...

Hopefully, the sparkle will distract. ;)) Some of these choices were with another poster in mind. I hope she comes in to visit and view....

criscut at Naifeh.JPG

emerald cuts at Naifeh.JPG

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

More...

Karen's mount2 at Naifeh.JPG

Karen's mount3 at Naifeh.JPG

radiant at Naifeh_1.jpg

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock

Oooooh, those are such pretties. What fun!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

SO....you now have PROOF that it actually happened!! Unfortunately, the pics don't do justice to any of the sparklies, and certainly can't capture the "fun level". The sales associate at Naifeh's, Pam, knows me pretty well now, and gives me a terribly hard time, and basically told me to my face that I was full of ...hooey, when I thought a particular ring was "too big" for me. (Yeah, she's good. REALLY good.) She's about as fun to visit as the jewelry itself. Great sense of humor, and will take as much time as you like, even if it's just browsing.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

ksinger said:
SO....you now have PROOF that it actually happened!! Unfortunately, the pics don't do justice to any of the sparklies, and certainly can't capture the "fun level". The sales associate at Naifeh's, Pam, knows me pretty well now, and gives me a terribly hard time, and basically told me to my face that I was full of ...hooey, when I thought a particular ring was "too big" for me. (Yeah, she's good. REALLY good.) She's about as fun to visit as the jewelry itself. Great sense of humor, and will take as much time as you like, even if it's just browsing.
Yep, we "browsed" for about 2 hours!!! :love:

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Upgradable said:
ksinger said:
Yep, we "browsed" for about 2 hours!!! :love:

I wish I could get a discount for bringing them "fresh meat", but so far no go. ;))

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock

ksinger said:
OK...my turn....

Pardon the hands. The freckled ones are MINE: Liposuction might be a boon, but I'd keep a few lumps and bumps if I could get my young hands back...sigh...

Hopefully, the sparkle will distract. ;)) Some of these choices were with another poster in mind. I hope she comes in to visit and view....

GIMME THAT!!! Why oh why oh WHY did I have wedding stuff to do today??

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

OUpeargirl said:
ksinger said:
OK...my turn....

I know you said you absolutely DON'T want an emerald three stone, but that baby was gorgeous!!!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Waaahhh, pity party for me. I wanna have some fun like that and I want that emerald 3-stone. Want it, want it right now (on the floor having a fit like a bratty 2-yr. old) waaaahhhh, sniffle.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock

Matata said:
Waaahhh, pity party for me. I wanna have some fun like that and I want that emerald 3-stone. Want it, want it right now (on the floor having a fit like a bratty 2-yr. old) waaaahhhh, sniffle.

If you behave yourself, I'm sure that Karen and Mel will be happy to buy you the three stone emerald ring :bigsmile: Don't mention my name.... :razz:

risingsun

Ideal_Rock

I'm glad that Uppy and Karen had such a good time on their play date! Did either of you buy anything?

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

risingsun said:
I'm glad that Uppy and Karen had such a good time on their play date! Did either of you buy anything?

Well, we bought lunch, does that count? (And sat outside on the restaurant's patio. The weather was perfect! The only things that made the patio a bit of a problem were the flies, and a rogue bee who REALLY wanted my San Pelegrino Aranciata soda.)

The one thing that made both of us drool uncontrollably though, was at a local store that is going out of business. Most of their stuff was pretty meh, BUT....they did have a 1.68 carat D SI1 Royal Asscher that made both of us get weak in the knees. It was a genuine monster and was just incredibly gorgeous. We think even Karl would have been impressed. ;)) They wanted 16,000 for it, and try as we might, neither one of us could dredge up the requisite 8,000 apiece that could have snagged it. (We talked about going halvesies on it) It just sucks to have those pesky "budgets", and have to spend money on such mundane things as food and shelter.....tsk.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock

Upgradable said:
OUpeargirl said:
ksinger said:
OK...my turn....

I know you said you absolutely DON'T want an emerald three stone, but that baby was gorgeous!!!

I think I could manage to keep that on my finger for awhile.. :love: Poor, poor, pitiful Lane is going to have a HELL of a time with this. Bwahahah. I'm glad you two had fun! Looks like you're just going to have to get together again soon..

soocool

Ideal_Rock

Uppy and Ksinger! Glad you had a great time. And who wouldn't trying on bling. I'll get to reveal my 54th birthday present very soon. Sure hope it is not that 2 1/2 quart pot I keep saying I need. :errrr:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you for posting pics Karen and Uppy! Such gorgeous pieces, you two must have had so much fun. Looking at the pics made me feel like I was there for a minute or two!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock

ksinger said:
risingsun said:

Well, we bought lunch, does that count? (And sat outside on the restaurant's patio. The weather was perfect! The only things that made the patio a bit of a problem were the flies, and a rogue bee who REALLY wanted my San Pelegrino Aranciata soda.)

The one thing that made both of us drool uncontrollably though, was at a local store that is going out of business. Most of their stuff was pretty meh, BUT....they did have a 1.68 carat D SI1 Royal Asscher that made both of us get weak in the knees. It was a genuine monster and was just incredibly gorgeous. We think even Karl would have been impressed. ;)) They wanted 16,000 for it, and try as we might, neither one of us could dredge up the requisite 8,000 apiece that could have snagged it. (We talked about going halvesies on it) It just sucks to have those pesky "budgets", and have to spend money on such mundane things as food and shelter.....tsk.

Thanks for taking the pics. I cannot taunt you, but it was worth it! The Royal Asscher sounds gorgeous :love: How many of us would it take to share that beauty...hmmmm....

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

soocool said:
Uppy and Ksinger! Glad you had a great time. And who wouldn't trying on bling. I'll get to reveal my 54th birthday present very soon. Sure hope it is not that 2 1/2 quart pot I keep saying I need. :errrr:

When we were about 20 years old, I told my now-husband (dang that pesky 27 year courtship!) that here were the rules: Christmas, you can get me something utterly practical - pots, pans, vacuum cleaner, whatever, BUT if you EVER get me anything practical for a birthday, you'll lose a body part. Of course my next birthday present was a POT(I was fixin' to be NOT amused, which was of course, his plan)...inside of which was a bottle of perfume. Such a kidder. ;)) Skip forward to today, and he STILL goes by that rule - early training does stick. No jewelry, because the thought of it (price and tastewise) terrifies him, but he does really well on the perfume front. Which is good because I'm a hound for the stuff...

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Needle threader. Had to use one for the first time today. Could barely get the needle on the threader. Need wine, just sayin'.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh yeah, almost forgot the other humiliation today. Did Zumba, love Zumba. BUT I caught sight of myself in the mirror and, OH LORDY, it was uuuuuuuuugly. My fat stops shakin' about 2 minutes after my body stops moving. Looks like a bowl of jello during an earthquake. :-o

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Speaking of earthquakes, we actually had quite a little monster here today - a 4.3 or 5.1 depending on who you listen to. I'm inclined to the higher number, but what do I know? This is the first earthquake that I recollect actually feeling. Oklahoma is NOT a hotbed of seismic activity as a rule. Anyway, it felt like someone came up behind me and rattled my chair. Very odd. And people vacated the building pretty quickly, since the first thought was explosion or bomb. Scary times these are, sadly.

Of course I'm not terribly scared of a little 5 pointer here in OK, since (although I was very young) I survived the Good Friday earthquake in Alaska 1964. 9.2 for almost 4 minutes. Now THAT was a quake! :-o

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ksinger said:
Speaking of earthquakes, we actually had quite a little monster here today

I am so so sorry that my fat rolls bouncing around in Oregon caused tremors in OK. :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results