shape
carat
color
clarity

Getting older isn't so bad when you consider the alternative

Sparklee

Rough_Rock
Re: Getting older isn't so bad when you consider the alterna

Colorluvr: Hope that doggie of yours continues to improve, and those tests come back negative.

Everyone else, thanks for all the advice and info about the colonoscopy prep. I guess I'll have to stop being a wussy and talk to my dr about it, and get it scheduled.

Getting old sucks......... :rolleyes:

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

OK....joke about getting older.

Sex at 20: God, honey that was wonderful!! (snuggling and getting your breath for about 10 minutes) Let's do that AGAIN!

Sex at 40: God, honey that was wonderful!! Hey, isn't it time for Law And Order?

;))

Gailey

Ideal_Rock

ksinger said:
OK....joke about getting older.

Sex at 20: God, honey that was wonderful!! (snuggling and getting your breath for about 10 minutes) Let's do that AGAIN!

Sex at 40: God, honey that was wonderful!! Hey, isn't it time for Law And Order?

;))

Whoever came up with that joke was most insightful! :oops:

risingsun

Ideal_Rock

Well, I spent my afternoon at the pain clinic. They worked on my neck and shoulders. I feel some relief now and should have more relief, within seven days, from the steroids, which were part of the treatment. I feel a bit like a pin cushion! I have to schedule radiofrequency neuralysis for my back and hips. That's done in outpatient surgery. If I can start getting some relief from the pain, I'll be a new woman! I'll probably get younger, too :bigsmile: Best wishes to everyone undergoing procedures or contemplating them. My brain is in fibro fog, so that's the best I can do :oops: Uppy~I sometimes have tingling and numbness in my hands. I thought it might be from the Topamax, but maybe it's from the fibro. Sometimes I'll get it after a hot shower.

Have a good evening, all. I'll see you later or tomorrow :kiss:

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

Just an update on my numb and tingly fingers. I took the B12 and vitD today and have had NO numbness!! Let's see how it goes tomorrow, but I haven't had a full day without numbness in over 2 months! Cautiously excited here. :twirl:

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Upgradable said:
Just an update on my numb and tingly fingers. I took the B12 and vitD today and have had NO numbness!! Let's see how it goes tomorrow, but I haven't had a full day without numbness in over 2 months! Cautiously excited here. :twirl:

Well, I'm not sure sure SURE I have fibro, but I certainly have a reasonable laundry list of the primary symptoms. Still, it sounds like you guys are dealing with far more than I, sadly.

I'm curious, Uppy and Risingsun - did you have sudden onset of this condition, or was it gradual? Mine was gradual, with some symptoms popping up for me, as far back as 10 years ago. I've read (somewhere) that for those of us with HMS, the onset tends to be more gradual, which seems to playing out with me. I really NOTICED the condition of my condition, after my mom died, and I was able to actually pay attention to myself a bit again. I found I was a wreck...or I thought I was a wreck. Or maybe I'm just nuts?

risingsun

Ideal_Rock

ksinger said:
Upgradable said:

Well, I'm not sure sure SURE I have fibro, but I certainly have a reasonable laundry list of the primary symptoms. Still, it sounds like you guys are dealing with far more than I, sadly.

I'm curious, Uppy and Risingsun - did you have sudden onset of this condition, or was it gradual? Mine was gradual, with some symptoms popping up for me, as far back as 10 years ago. I've read (somewhere) that for those of us with HMS, the onset tends to be more gradual, which seems to playing out with me. I really NOTICED the condition of my condition, after my mom died, and I was able to actually pay attention to myself a bit again. I found I was a wreck...or I thought I was a wreck. Or maybe I'm just nuts?

The onset for me was gradual. Over a long period of time I started noticing more things were wrong with me. I have had health problems for a long time, but I came to a point where it was affecting my career, activities, ability to do things I had previously done and generally decreased my quality of life. At one point, ~2 years ago, I had a full blown episode. I had severe chest pains and had to be hospitalized. They did a complete cardiac workup and my heart was fine. I do have a non-threatening cardiac anomaly, but the pain was costochondritis, which is a symptom of fibro. After that episode, the fibro sx worsened. I had two more hospital visits for chest pain. The last one, several months ago, was for pleurisy. I suspect it was chest wall pain or both. My PCP has added Chronic Fatigue Syndrome to my diagnoses. They share many sx. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

risingsun said:
ksinger said:
Upgradable said:

I'm not sure sure SURE I have fibro, but I certainly have a reasonable laundry list of the primary symptoms. Still, it sounds like you guys are dealing with far more than I, sadly.

The onset for me was gradual. Over a long period of time I started noticing more things were wrong with me. I have had health problems for a long time, but I came to a point where it was affecting my career, activities, ability to do things I had previously done and generally decreased my quality of life. At one point, ~2 years ago, I had a full blown episode. I had severe chest pains and had to be hospitalized. They did a complete cardiac workup and my heart was fine. I do have a non-threatening cardiac anomaly, but the pain was costochondritis, which is a symptom of fibro. After that episode, the fibro sx worsened. I had two more hospital visits for chest pain. The last one, several months ago, was for pleurisy. I suspect it was chest wall pain or both. My PCP has added Chronic Fatigue Syndrome to my diagnoses. They share many sx. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Sounds a bit familiar...

Interesting. My "symptom list" (since I've not been officially diagnosed and it MIGHT be something else) began years ago too and each alone could possibly be attributed to something else. Heck, some of them might BE from something else, but since fibro is suspected to be a CNS response and change to long-term pain, perhaps all together they CAUSED it. Chicken? Egg? Such a frustrating thing.

The thing that has pushed me over the edge has been the stiffness. OMG. Some days it's just an effort to move. And I do "gel"...I sit for a bit, then can barely get up, or walk for 20 minutes and my lower back is so sore I can barely sit down. And my shoulder and elbows feel like I've been lifting weights - TOO MUCH weight. And just a little exertion (or it would have been several years ago - something as light as an hour of strolling the mall?) can have me almost laid out the next day. Headaches virtually every day, sometimes migraines (common variety thank God), numbness down the sides of my legs (possibly back related, but I'm not sure it's dermatomal or not - doesn't seem so, but I'm really not a doc) and pain to the touch (like bruised) all over the fronts of my thighs. Ouch.

There is this intermittent "burning" between my shoulder blades - like I've been LIT, muscle twitches (which at first absolutely terrified me, and still quite creep me out - since my mother died of ALS), non-restful or just NON sleep, (yeah, check the time of this posting), and swollen lymph nodes in my neck (all the time pretty much), back spasms (again, I've had a bad back for years so I never attributed much to THIS), intermittent chestwall pain (I recently had an echocardiagram and nearly came unglued it hurt so badly, whereas years ago I had one with no issues), and very recently - difficulty with word finding, which is bizarre since I've always been quite quick with just the right word. No longer. (Me to hubs: I wonder if that over there is new". Him: "What "that"?" Me, pointing and annoyed: "That tall, pointy thing." Him: 'You mean that radio TOWER"?) And on any given day, I have between 12 and 14 of the trigger points that can raise me out of my seat if pressed. There are a few other things too, but those are the biggies...

Yeah, I'm tired of being tired and hurting. I'm making it, but quality of life is declining. I owe me and my lovely husband, to find what I can do about this.

I don't ask for dust well...ever, but if someone is inclined, please wish me luck to get a decent MD who won't treat this like I'm just whining. I've spent the last 10 years sucking it up and being stoic, but I'm truly at the end of my rope now, nd liable to murder this person if he treats this as anything less than serious.

Lula

Ideal_Rock

Upgradable said:

Great news, Uppy! I find that B12 supplements make a huge difference for me in managing the problems I was having with restless leg syndrome, and muscle fatigue and weakness in my legs, hips, and hands. I was constantly dropping things because my grip was affected -- no more.

I honestly thought I had MS or early Parkinson's because the symptoms were very similar.

ETA: Some conditions affect your body's ability to absorb Vit. B12 through your stomach. Also, there is some evidence that shows that medications, such as Prilosec, may affect your body's ability to absorb vitamins and minerals. I was on Prilosec for 6 years. I weaned off of it in about a month and feel much better. Funny how the medication that is supposed to "fix" stomach problems actually caused more stomach problems - for me anyway! I do use the vit. B12 drops which you take sub-lingual (under the tongue). I also use vit. D3 drops rather than pills.

Sparkalin

Rough_Rock

Years ago I was diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Numbness and tingling in hands on good days, wake me up pain on bad days. I no longer do the work that caused this so I'm much better. But a few hours of gardening, or writing or typing will set if off again. Then I just have to back off for a couple of days and I'm ok enough. I've lost grip strength and I can't crochet anymore, but I've got enough blankets.
Colonoscopy: If I ever have one done, I told the husband I'm getting a sharpie and my butt will be covered with "Stop, do not enter, one way only".

Linda

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Okay, ladies, I am thankful to have found this thread as it only took me a few hours last night and this morning to read the 16 pages of posts! I qualify for membership because I had my 55th birthday on Monday! Nice to have a holiday for one's birthday!

I laughed outloud at many of these posts while having such sadness in reading of the health problems that a few of you face. I wish I could give you a hug, but since I can't, I'll pray that you all have success in finding the right doctors, medicines, or diagnoses that will improve your health!

Yikes, I haven't had a colonoscopy either. No family history and I have simply been too busy. Hate the thought of the whole thing and also suspect that a lot of what is done in medicine today is a total racket. Sometimes you end up worse off for the treatment they do, but I realize some here are alive because of treatment, so it does cause one to think. I'll probably schedule one soon once I find out who to go to in this area. My husband uses a gastro dr. in the city where he works, but that is not convenient for me. I will also call them in advance and ask what kind of prep they recommend before choosing! I think I could do the Miralax thing best. The chalky 164 oz thing is just out of the question and I wouldn't want to go to a dr. who is insensitive to torture.

I have been here just occasionally the last few months because we bought and then moved to a new home. It was a major undertaking because we had lived in our old house for 22 years with 3 kids being raised there. Fortunately, the old house was paid for so we just took our time and moved gradually, finally moving completely over Memorial Day weekend. Then we fixed up the old house and put it on the market. Of course it hasn't sold, but we got a great deal on the new house. It is new, so it has been fun starting from scratch with a clean slate and buying new furniture, etc.

I quit teaching at the end of the school year and am just continuing to tutor dyslexic kids in my home, which I love. We still have our youngest child in 9th grade (adopted from China when we were 40!) and our son in his 20's is living here because he doesn't currently have a job (and has some health issues which I may discuss another day). Our other daughter is a teacher and has her own house, but she is close to getting engaged and I look forward to being able to read through the brides forum to get wedding ideas when the time comes! So really, I am sort of starting a new phase of life where I can decide how to fill my days, although most of my extra cash for jewelry is gone because of not working fulltime anymore! (Not to mention that I spent a lot of money over the last several months on furnishings for the new house!)

Soooo, that's what's new with me, and I am very excited for us to have a place to "belong" here on PS!

Sparklee

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006 said:
The chalky 164 oz thing is just out of the question and I wouldn't want to go to a dr. who is insensitive to torture.

My thoughts exactly!!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

i had a colonoscopy done december 29, 2008. yes, i remember the date. the process of cleansing my system was so horrible i won't describe it. however, the dr said i was completely "clean" in the interior after i awoke.........and absolutely nothing was found. this was done as one of those routine you're of that age so we must do this types of things.

i have no family history of GI cancer and have decided it will be a COLD DAY IN HELL before i put myself through this again as a "routine" test.

MoZo

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hmmm, since I have no family history either, maybe 60 would be a good age for the first screening colonoscopy. :sick:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi everyone, I haven't been very active in this thread lately, and I apologize for that. Since the topic has turned to colonoscopies, I thought I would share something that a good friend of mine is going through. She has just been diagnosed with rectal cancer, in her words "stage 2/3". I didn't want to pester her with too many questions, I'm assuming that means it's crossing the line over into stage 3. She had the colonoscopy done as part of a routine exam, as she has just turned 50. Thankfully she did, because she admits she's been having symptoms for about a year (feelings of being constipated and blood in her stool) but wrote it off as her hemorrhoids acting up. She told me she knew they'd find "something" but it never even occurred to her it might be cancer. If she had explored her symptoms earlier, that tumor wouldn't have had an extra year to grow. but if she hadn't had that routine "turning 50" test, that tumor would have had even more time to grow and spread. Who knows when she would have finally gotten around to looking into the reason for her symptoms, especially since they weren't that serious in terms of affecting her daily life?

I initially felt the same way as several posters here...no family history, no symptoms, why go through the discomfort, inconvenience and expense? My friend's experience has changed my mind. My husband had a colonoscopy last month, and he tolerated the prep very well. He did the miralax thing, and to be honest it really didn't seem too bad.

I apologize in advance if relaying my friend's experience has frightened or upset anyone, that's not my intent. I just offer it up as food for thought, since the discussion turned to colonoscopies.

Again, I'm sorry I haven't been on too much, I'm going to make an effort to change that!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock

Ksinger~you might want to consider an appt with a neurologist. You have so much going on! If your doctor isn't taking your symptoms seriously, you need to find one who will. I really feel for you. It's a difficult way to live. I'm sending a truck load of dust your way. I know what it's like to have all this going on and not understanding what is happening to you.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock

Welcome back diamondseeker :wavey: It's good to see you again.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock

Nice to see you diamondseeker!!! :wavey:

lulu

Ideal_Rock

Portree, thanks for the advice about B12. I have a bad case of restless legs so I'm going to try it.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock

When we moved up to the Pacific Northwest, we were allowed to change Health Insurance (actually we had to because of a State Law stating that all employees withing the state had to be with the same Insurance Company or some such thing).... anyway, it allowed me to ditch the dreaded HMO (don't get me wrong, I had some great doctors within that HMO, I just hated some of their rules/restrictions)...

My new PPO allowed me to choose a Naturopathic Physician as my primary care physician, and I found one (via a referral). I went to her with the specific intent on getting blood tests (the last ones I had were two years ago and while I was within normal range, a couple of the readings were nearing the "not so good" levels). I also wanted my hormone levels checked because they hadn't been checked in years due to the fact the my ex-HMO didn't believe in testing hormones - SERIOUSLY, the last GYN I saw 4 years ago told me that, but they had no problem renewing my prescription year after year for the patch that I had gotten 5 years prior from a different doctor.. It was no skin off their nose - oh wait, did I tell you they wouldn't PAY for the prescription because it wasn't on their approved list, but they had no problem continually renewing it.

Anyway, I LOVED seeing this ND. She actually listened to me and I was in her office for an hour during my first visit. (when was the last time a doctor actually listened to you for an hour????) I talked to her about my few symptoms and what I was doing or not doing to try to "fix" my minor complaints. She complemented me on being very intune with my body (and didn't look at me like I was an idiot when I told her what worked and what didn't work for me)... She also was in agreement with the path I had (was) taking with my weigh loss.

NDs (at least this ND) could write prescriptions, even though they often try to find a more natural way to deal with your various health issues. I purposely chose an ND because I didn't want a GP throwing meds at me if my bloodtests once again came back less than stellar...

Good news was my tests were better than when I had last been tested (improved some eating habits / ditched or toned down some not so good habits and had lost 15 lbs) so I was pleased with the results (except for my Vit D levels). My estrogen was where it was supposed to be so she had no problem renewing my presciption for my estrogen patch.

During my visit she suggested a Vit D supplement and a multivitamin, so I thought I would share them with those of you who are contemplating starting or changing your supplements.

The Vit D supplement is: Biotics Research Corporation - Bio-D-Mulsion Forte and it is in drop form (looks kind of like thinned out elmer's glue) and the Multi-vitamin she suggested was Integrative Therapeutics, Inc - Multiplex - 1 (this one doesn't contain Iron because I'm a big protein eater and I'm not at all anemic.) I bought the initial products from her office, but I just reordered online from
http://www.totaldiscountvitamins.com/ I also take Salmon Oil capsules and Move Free (when I remember) for my osteo-arthritis and probotics...

I'm not at all suggesting those of you who are having serious medical issues to drop your MD and go to an ND, but if you are having issues that are something that might respond to a more natural therapy approach, you may want to consider an ND.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock

Upgradable said:

Good news Uppy! I hope the supplements continue to work for you.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks RisingSun and Kaleigh! It is great to see everyone again!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006 said:
Okay, ladies, I am thankful to have found this thread as it only took me a few hours last night and this morning to read the 16 pages of posts! I qualify for membership because I had my 55th birthday on Monday! Nice to have a holiday for one's birthday!

I laughed outloud at many of these posts while having such sadness in reading of the health problems that a few of you face. I wish I could give you a hug, but since I can't, I'll pray that you all have success in finding the right doctors, medicines, or diagnoses that will improve your health!

Yikes, I haven't had a colonoscopy either. No family history and I have simply been too busy. Hate the thought of the whole thing and also suspect that a lot of what is done in medicine today is a total racket. Sometimes you end up worse off for the treatment they do, but I realize some here are alive because of treatment, so it does cause one to think. I'll probably schedule one soon once I find out who to go to in this area. My husband uses a gastro dr. in the city where he works, but that is not convenient for me. I will also call them in advance and ask what kind of prep they recommend before choosing! I think I could do the Miralax thing best. The chalky 164 oz thing is just out of the question and I wouldn't want to go to a dr. who is insensitive to torture.

I have been here just occasionally the last few months because we bought and then moved to a new home. It was a major undertaking because we had lived in our old house for 22 years with 3 kids being raised there. Fortunately, the old house was paid for so we just took our time and moved gradually, finally moving completely over Memorial Day weekend. Then we fixed up the old house and put it on the market. Of course it hasn't sold, but we got a great deal on the new house. It is new, so it has been fun starting from scratch with a clean slate and buying new furniture, etc.

I quit teaching at the end of the school year and am just continuing to tutor dyslexic kids in my home, which I love. We still have our youngest child in 9th grade (adopted from China when we were 40!) and our son in his 20's is living here because he doesn't currently have a job (and has some health issues which I may discuss another day). Our other daughter is a teacher and has her own house, but she is close to getting engaged and I look forward to being able to read through the brides forum to get wedding ideas when the time comes! So really, I am sort of starting a new phase of life where I can decide how to fill my days, although most of my extra cash for jewelry is gone because of not working fulltime anymore! (Not to mention that I spent a lot of money over the last several months on furnishings for the new house!)

Soooo, that's what's new with me, and I am very excited for us to have a place to "belong" here on PS!

I already had it done because my father had a polyp in his colon and even one polyp in your relative warrants earlier colonoscopy.
Well, I was afraid of sedation (my typical fear). It was not that bad, though, and the procedure is not painful at all. One advise: before the colonoscopy, on the prep day, stay at home. Do not go out, even to get the mail!
They will give you the prep. solution. It is not Miralax.
My experience: by the end of the prep day, I started feeling numbness and tingling in the area around my mouth. It is a sign of calcium and magnesium deficiency. Luckuly, I had Rolaids and Magnesium at home and took them. Just remember, that the prep. is so effective it may wash out certain electrolytes.

Otherwise, it is not dangerous at all.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock

I just received the news that my Vit D levels are low. My gyn wants me to take 2000 IU of Vit D per day. I'm already taking 2200 IU daily. I have a call in to her for further instructions. How do you know if your B12 is low?

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Varied early morning musings...

Other people are undoubtedly have more first-hand knowledge of this, but for me this is a new revelation: It SUCKS to have to take iron supplements. I just wanted to say that. How does anyone get through this?? :sick: :knockout:

Drs continue to piss me off. Do any of them ever know who you are, or for that matter, do any of them ever read your friggin' records??
I had my "procedure", and all was well, but the doc asked me to call him the next day, so I did. He says, "Well, everything was fine (yeah knew that) so it's been 7 years...so we should be able to only do this once a year now." I'm like, "OK...I've only been doing this once a year since I started doing them..." Him: "Well..um...well that's old history now, you need to do this once a year." :rolleyes: READ MY RECORDS A TINY BIT BEFORE I COME IN AND WE WOULDN'T HAVE THESE MORONIC "DISCUSSIONS". :angryfire:

Understand of course that LAST year, he said "Everything's fine, so next year (this year) we may not have to do this" Now THIS year (after him changing his mind) he's like I'm going to have to do this every year for life. What changed?? (No rationale given of course, not considered necessary for the plebs I guess) Do doctors even care how arbitrary they appear to patients? If I was that indecisive, some OTHER doctor would undoubtedly think I had some pathology and throw some med at me to get me out of his office. Maybe it's just here in this state, but why is it SO SO hard to find doctors who don't think their patients are stupid children and therefore don't need good reasoning presented to them for that doctor's "recommendations"? Grump. Grump. Grump.

Yes, I'm cranky today and feel like I've been beaten with a chain. When asked if he's responsible for this sad state of affairs, hubs claims he did it for "fun". He's quite the smart*** is the hubs, but he also knows he can get away with it 'cause I can't catch him. ;))

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ksinger said:
Varied early morning musings...

Other people are undoubtedly have more first-hand knowledge of this, but for me this is a new revelation: It SUCKS to have to take iron supplements. I just wanted to say that. How does anyone get through this?? :sick: :knockout:

Drs continue to piss me off. Do any of them ever know who you are, or for that matter, do any of them ever read your friggin' records??
I had my "procedure", and all was well, but the doc asked me to call him the next day, so I did. He says, "Well, everything was fine (yeah knew that) so it's been 7 years...so we should be able to only do this once a year now." I'm like, "OK...I've only been doing this once a year since I started doing them..." Him: "Well..um...well that's old history now, you need to do this once a year." :rolleyes: READ MY RECORDS A TINY BIT BEFORE I COME IN AND WE WOULDN'T HAVE THESE MORONIC "DISCUSSIONS". :angryfire:

Understand of course that LAST year, he said "Everything's fine, so next year (this year) we may not have to do this" Now THIS year (after him changing his mind) he's like I'm going to have to do this every year for life. What changed?? (No rationale given of course, not considered necessary for the plebs I guess) Do doctors even care how arbitrary they appear to patients? If I was that indecisive, some OTHER doctor would undoubtedly think I had some pathology and throw some med at me to get me out of his office. Maybe it's just here in this state, but why is it SO SO hard to find doctors who don't think their patients are stupid children and therefore don't need good reasoning presented to them for that doctor's "recommendations"? Grump. Grump. Grump.

Yes, I'm cranky today and feel like I've been beaten with a chain. When asked if he's responsible for this sad state of affairs, hubs claims he did it for "fun". He's quite the smart*** is the hubs, but he also knows he can get away with it 'cause I can't catch him. ;))

Ah Doctors, who can ever figure them out! I know how you feel, as I'm kinda in the same situation only the opposite. The hole in my heart has not totally closed so I still have a small leak between chambers. Innitially I was told that I would have to have a TEE every year to make sure the leak doesn't get any larger. After I had this year's TEE done I was told that I didn't need another one. So what now? I guess I'm just supposed to wait around and see if I have another stroke. :roll:

I had to laugh about your husband. When I was on coumadin and then on Plavix and 325mgs aspirin I looked like a walking poster child for sposal abuse. My lovely hubby took great delight in telling everyone how he beat me, lol.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium

K I'm a few pages behind, so I don't know why you have to take iron supps, but I took them for three months after I almost bled out and although I left the hospital with orders to buy Feosol 325, we headed to the Vitamin Shoppe for a non-constipating version. I took it for three months with no adverse effect. Anything that reads iron bisglycinate on the label, will be kind to your gut. I'm thinking that's the side effect that makes everyone miserable.

Lula

Ideal_Rock

risingsun said:
I just received the news that my Vit D levels are low. My gyn wants me to take 2000 IU of Vit D per day. I'm already taking 2200 IU daily. I have a call in to her for further instructions. How do you know if your B12 is low?

Hi, risingsun -- here are a few links with information about B12
ttp://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003705.htm
http://www.yourhealthbase.com/vitamin_B12.html
Keep in mind, that in the U.S., the lowest acceptable blood level is 200; however, in Europe and other parts of the world, the lowest acceptable level is 400 - 500. Symptoms can show up in those, like me, whose levels are sub-500.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock

Portree said:
risingsun said:

Hi, risingsun -- here are a few links with information about B12
ttp://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003705.htm
http://www.yourhealthbase.com/vitamin_B12.html
Keep in mind, that in the U.S., the lowest acceptable blood level is 200; however, in Europe and other parts of the world, the lowest acceptable level is 400 - 500. Symptoms can show up in those, like me, whose levels are sub-500.

Thanks, Sara. I'll look up the symptoms for VIt B-12 deficiency.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock

I have a couple of doctor stories to tell, too. I had a growth on my nose. It looked like a mole, to me, but what do I know. I went to an ENT for another matter and he was also removing growths and doing skin care, as many are these days. I returned to him saying I didn't think it was healing properly. He said it as fine. No biopsy was done. Fast forward four years. I saw a dermatologist, who did a biopsy. He told me he thought it was a tumor. It was a squamous cell carcinoma. I was referred to a MOHs surgeon. They do specialized tumor excision, especially on the face. When he drew a circle on my nose indicating how much tissue would be excised, I nearly passed out. It took two years of reconstructive surgery to repair the damage. I was told that I was very fortunate that it hadn't spread to my neck.

I saw an allergist/immunologist about ten years ago. He ran some tests and told me my IGG [I had no idea what he was talking about and he didn't explain] was higher than normal, but he had another test done, which showed that I didn't have multiple myeloma. He said that I was fine and should probably have my levels checked every few years. He never gave me a diagnosis or made it clear why I needed ongoing monitoring, so I forgot about it. About three years ago, I asked my PCP to test my IGG. The tests came back positive for elevated levels. I had an appt with the Cancer Center within two days. I had more bloodwork, a bone marrow biopsy and a full skeletal survey. I have a precancerous [it's been recently upgraded from benign] blood disorder called monoclonal gammopathy, IGG kappa. I am seen at the cancer center every six months for follow up. So far my levels have been stable. I am currently at a 25% risk to progress to multiple myeloma. That risk increases yearly. I have had this condition for at least 10 years and my first doctor didn't seem to think it was that important to let me know. Now I'm a regular patient at the cancer center.

It is a priority for me to find excellent medical care. If a doctor is not giving me that care, I will and have found another. I just won't put up with the nonsense anymore. Well, I guess I needed a good vent :shock:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results