shape
carat
color
clarity

getting lost in stupid stuff

4ever

Ideal_Rock
SB- No Accent colour as of yet, just various purples, a natural brown paper colour and white. I thought a nice swirly font would make it look more Chic as well but so far with my photo shop trials, the more casual fonts just look better. Not as casual as the yellow invite used above, but my current favourate has a typewriter font for the main text and a handwriten looking caligraphy font for our names. Also I'm thinking I'll use a white linen card because the texture reminds me of old fashioned wall paper and I think textured paper makes invites look classyer. I think this goes with the twine. Ugg This is hard!

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Ok, thanks to Photoshop this is what I've got so far. Need some opinions. This will be printed on white linen paper, tied with twine like the yellow invite above, possibly with a purple vintage button in the bow and either purple envelope with a brown (natural brown like the twine not brown coloured) pattered envelope liner OR a brown envelope with purple liner.

Pricescope invitation copy.jpg

whitelinen card.jpg

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Internet Explorer just ate my really really long post. ;( ;( ;(

Summary, since I'm too lazy to type it all out again:

~Rosetta, those are awesome shoes!
~FG and SB, thanks for the complements on the jewelry! Super excited to get it in my hot little hands!
~FG, I love the linen paper. And the vintage typeface. Not 100% sold on the postcard-like layout, but it could work with the twine and button! I'm just having a hard time visualizing...
~SB, I'm living vicariously through your invitations!
~AFM, it was FI's CC that got burned up this weekend, not mine! He bought his suit: Classic 2-button black...with a white french-cuff shirt and tie TBD. Was originally going to be black, but we saw some ivory ties at Nordies that were TDF. So we'll see. But I think for the reception he's gonna change into a colorful tie, to mimick me changing into my purple sash!

4ever

Ideal_Rock
vc10um|1300710177|2876403 said:
~FG, I love the linen paper. And the vintage typeface. Not 100% sold on the postcard-like layout, but it could work with the twine and button! I'm just having a hard time visualizing...

Thanks VC, feedback that comes from girls is about 50 time better than boy feedback, with FI it's like:
Me "what do you think of this?"
FI "(long pause)I like it"
me "what do you think of the fonts?"
FI "yeah they're good"

I've made a new invite, portrait rather than landscape, with the same kind of look as the invite above and it does look nicer I think.

Invitation portrait pricescope copy.jpg

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Oh yes, FG! I much prefer the portrait layout!

I think the landscape layout was different and very neat, but it looked too much like a postard (especially with the location in the "address" portion!) and therefore too casual to me. I think it evoked rustic casual instead of rustic chic.

What if you did your invite on the ivory linen paper, and then backed it with something like this khaki parchment cardstock for a bit of additional texture? I think they'd complement eachother well. Or how about brown kraft paper?!?!

Rosetta - I LOVE your shoes! Excellent choice!

SB and VC - thanks much for asking about my Grandpa. You ladies are awesome. He gets a port installed today to start chemo. They found more cancer on one of his lymph nodes. I was very unhappy about that, and as a result, totally went off my diet so I could have a really large glass of vodka followed by a pepperoni and mushroom pizza after I found out on Thursday. Hopefully the chemo, followed by radiation, kills it all!

I haven't yet asked him to walk me down the aisle. He's been very busy planning his attack on the cancer and I wanted to wait until he gets his schedule down-pat. One less curve ball to throw in the mix, but I am going to ask him soon. It just seems like such an unimportant detail in the grand scheme of things right now.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
VC- it will have to be white not ivory linen I think. I'd prefer ivory but I just can't find it at a reasonable price in NZ and what I can find online in the US would cost too much in shipping. I think I'm going to experiment with the brown paper aspect once I have sample of everything I want to use, I want to use it for sure but I'm not sure how much yet. This is hard.

Anyway, should probably sort out the save the dates first since I don't need to send invites out until...next year.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Future Mrs. Sterling|1300823506|2877512 said:
Rosetta - I LOVE your shoes! Excellent choice!

SB and VC - thanks much for asking about my Grandpa. You ladies are awesome. He gets a port installed today to start chemo. They found more cancer on one of his lymph nodes. I was very unhappy about that, and as a result, totally went off my diet so I could have a really large glass of vodka followed by a pepperoni and mushroom pizza after I found out on Thursday. Hopefully the chemo, followed by radiation, kills it all!

I haven't yet asked him to walk me down the aisle. He's been very busy planning his attack on the cancer and I wanted to wait until he gets his schedule down-pat. One less curve ball to throw in the mix, but I am going to ask him soon. It just seems like such an unimportant detail in the grand scheme of things right now.

FMS...thanks for the update. And sometimes, vodka and pizza are the best medicine. I will continue to send prayers and positive thoughts to your grandfather, you, and the rest of your family.

FG...I think white linen paper will work just fine as well! And yes, time to focus on Save the Dates...but you kinda had to get a concept down for your invites before you did those, since you want all your stationary to coordinate, so it's all good!

AFM...my VEIL came on Monday...and yes, SB, I pranced. But only in the privacy of our guest bathroom where I locked myself in for pictures because, apparently, FI doesn't want to see even the veil before the wedding. Boys. :rolleyes: And as of this morning...my WEDDING BAND is finished! It won't be on its way to me yet because FI still needs to tell Dan and Caren what he wants engraved on the inside (we're keeping the inscriptions secret until the wedding) but Caren wanted me to see it! Hooray!!!

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Hello hello!

Let's see...

FMS, I'm still thinking about you all. Pizza and vodka is the dinner of champions. Although probably more like pizza and red wine for me. But A LOT of red wine. ;))

4ever, I definitely like the new layout of your invitation much better than the postcard, and it is super cute, but it's still reading really casual to me. Which is totally fine, if that's the feel you're going for, but since you're still in the design phase I wanted to throw in my $.02. I'm trying to figure out exactly what it is so I can articulate it better to be more helpful, but I'm having a hard time putting my finger on it. I guess maybe my use of the word "cute" is the problem?

vc, so excited about your prancing and your ring! I love the concave design - I don't think I've seen that before (granted I haven't seen much, but still). And I think it's sweet he's waiting to see you in your full bridal regalia on the big day!

AFM...my veil arrived, but I'm not sure about it. The one I had tried on at a bridal salon seemed so much softer, less tulle-like. But I'm scared to go back there because I didn't order my dress from them! :lol: Otherwise, my big thing is getting the groomsmen attired. They're driving be freaking crazy. I'm already doing all the legwork, but get me your damn measurements. Seriously. I don't want them wearing nothing but ties! Which I already have, because it required nothing from them to purchase...

SB - Thanks again. And (my apologies to any men actually reading this thread) you cannot rely on men to get things done, I swear! My groomsmen are just wearing black suits because
1. I assume they already own one
2. I am taking care of the ties so...
I know they will be dressed and I won't have to worry about what you are currently experiencing! Less stress is better. I hope they get on the ball and get that taken care of so you can move on to other things.

Is it just me, or do certain things throw a road block in the planning process? For example, if I don't get the invitation wording done, I can't even begin to think about a first dance song...

EDIT: VC - I'm glad your veil came in and you got to prance. I am also happy for you that your husband is hanging on to something traditional about the wedding day. It's romantic, which my guy is not, at all. I love him that way, but he doesn't care one iota about superstitions, traditions, "have to's," etc. so it's refreshing to know someone out there, besides all us silly brides, hang on to these things!

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
aaah....i may have just bought a vintage Judith Leiber crystal clutch to carry at my wedding....

stay tuned for pics when it arrives, hopefully in good condition! :errrr:

4ever

Ideal_Rock
sillyberry|1300898709|2878262 said:
4ever, I definitely like the new layout of your invitation much better than the postcard, and it is super cute, but it's still reading really casual to me. Which is totally fine, if that's the feel you're going for, but since you're still in the design phase I wanted to throw in my $.02. I'm trying to figure out exactly what it is so I can articulate it better to be more helpful, but I'm having a hard time putting my finger on it. I guess maybe my use of the word "cute" is the problem?

I think it's the top bit that makes it more casual, the date and hearts and dots. I think it will look a little more formal when printed but I'm not really sure how to make it a little less casual with the type and lay out, fancier type didn't look quite right, I thought it would look odd once I add the twine and brown paper if the type was really formal. Donno, might have to go to plan two and have friend of mine look at it for me, she is much MUCH better at this stuff than me.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for all the compliments on my shoes. They are from Aruna Seth if anyone wants similar. :))

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rosetta good to see you back :))

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Thank you yssie!

FI continues to improve steadily and it's GREAT to see and to be back wedding planning instead :))

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
4ever|1301033460|2879789 said:
I think it's the top bit that makes it more casual, the date and hearts and dots. I think it will look a little more formal when printed but I'm not really sure how to make it a little less casual with the type and lay out, fancier type didn't look quite right, I thought it would look odd once I add the twine and brown paper if the type was really formal. Donno, might have to go to plan two and have friend of mine look at it for me, she is much MUCH better at this stuff than me.

FG, what if you find an accent flourish that looks a bit like natural lavender? Place that at the top in place of the current date/heart combo?

Rosetta, you MUST post pictures of your clutch when it arrives!!!

AFM...we had a WHIRLWIND weekend of wedding planning! Flew to KCMO on Friday, spent Saturday doing my hair and makeup trial, my boudioir pics (which were SO.MUCH.FUN...I HIGHLY recommend them to EVERYONE!), met with our officiant, did the basic layout of our reception venue, had our second cake tasting (she made SO MUCH CAKE!), and met with our DJ and discussed the timeline of the reception. Basically I'm in love with our vendors and looking forward to working with everyone on our wedding day. YAY!

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I'll post here, tomorrow
It's only a day away...

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
sillyberry|1301460563|2883247 said:
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I'll post here, tomorrow
It's only a day away...

Someone's been buuuuusssssyyyyyyy!

Hope your engagment party was FAAAABULOUS!

In other news, we have our second round of engagement pics tomorrow at the Tidal Basin...I was dying for Cherry Blossom pictures...and it's suppose to be 40 degrees with a 20-40% chance of rain during our shoot. It's also suppose to rain all night. So much for (1) wearing a cute spring dress and (2) getting pictures laying in the grass surrounded by the fallen blossoms! Oh well...I have a super cute polka dot umbrella, a pretty purple winter coat, and I just picked up new houndstooth wellies yesterday, just in case it rains. Otherwise, mid-thigh length purple coat, jeggings and my knee-high brown boots it is!

Not exactly the pictures I was HOPING for...but at least we'll still have the flowers!

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
still running around like a chicken with my head cut off (I swear, I haven't had the time to sit and write the stuff in my head), but...

MY DRESS IS HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
IT DIDN'T RAIN!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

I think our Cherry Blossom E-pics are gonna be SUPER cute. She's posting the un-touched files online for us tonight to pick our files, and then she'll touch them up and send them our way! (I bought a Groupon deal, so we get 15 images as part of the deal and can purchase additional ones for $5 each. I have told myself no more than 10 extra images, since we already have TWO HUNDRED AND THIRTY from our Kansas City E-pics. I think 25 smoochy images should be plenty. :bigsmile: ) Oh, and we got cat-called by the vast groups of eigth graders touring the FDR Memorial. Fortunately, they were pretty much the only other people out on the Tidal Basin since it was cold and overcast this morning. I guess there ARE some good things about less-than-deal weather! 8-)

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah no rain!!!! You must have had early morning pictures! And overcast means no weird shadows haunting your faces!

I CANNOT wait to see these! :appl:

4ever

Ideal_Rock
I've booked our cake! Yay! And our cake-maker is going out of her way to alter her recipes to be vegan so my sister and my good friends boyfriend (vegans) and FI (who is lactose intolerant not vegan) can eat the cake too! And it's very reasonably priced! The plan is one chocolate layer and one carrot if they both turn out well in her trials.

So now we have a ceremony space/reception venue/all the food etc sorted, cake, celebrant, DJ (as DJ friend of FI will do it for freeeeee for our wedding prezzy, yay!) and some quotes and options for transport and flowers to choose from, about 75% of the centerpieces/decorations for the reception collected and MAYBE a well priced photographer if my friends sister says yes. AND there is 1 year and 4 days till our wedding. I am a wedding planning ninja!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
4ever|1301600307|2884436 said:
I've booked our cake! Yay! And our cake-maker is going out of her way to alter her recipes to be vegan so my sister and my good friends boyfriend (vegans) and FI (who is lactose intolerant not vegan) can eat the cake too! And it's very reasonably priced! The plan is one chocolate layer and one carrot if they both turn out well in her trials.

So now we have a ceremony space/reception venue/all the food etc sorted, cake, celebrant, DJ (as DJ friend of FI will do it for freeeeee for our wedding prezzy, yay!) and some quotes and options for transport and flowers to choose from, about 75% of the centerpieces/decorations for the reception collected and MAYBE a well priced photographer if my friends sister says yes. AND there is 1 year and 4 days till our wedding. I am a wedding planning ninja!

FG, some of the best carrot cake I've EVER had was vegan carrot cake. So I'm sure yours will be DELCIOUS. And you are TOTALLY a wedding planning ninja! The rest of your engagement will be SO RELAXING! Yay!

Our pictures from yesterday were posted in the afternoon! They are EXACTLY what I was hoping for (minus the fact it was C.O.L.D. so my hopes of a cute spring dress were completely dashed...) and our photographer was a JOY to work with. In fact, I'm kinda sad we don't really have any other events in DC to hire her for over the next year and a half! So, they're currently un-retouched and watermarked (since she'll only retouch the files we choose to keep, obviously!) but I couldn't resist sharing a few of my favorites with you! I'll start a thread with all our selected files once we receive them.

cb epic preview 1.jpg

cb epic preview 4.jpg

cb epic preview 3.jpg

cb epic preview 2.jpg

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG I love these!!! VC you are SO gorgeous and photogenic. DF isn't half bad himself. You guys totally scored with this groupon deal!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Hudson_Hawk|1301669683|2885110 said:
OMG I love these!!! VC you are SO gorgeous and photogenic. DF isn't half bad himself. You guys totally scored with this groupon deal!

Thanks, HH! :bigsmile: I keep going back to look at them. I swear, getting married has turned me narcissistic! :errrr:

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
vc, I am SO SO happy you ended up doing a Cherry Blossom Festival shoot, because these are just awesome. You didn't get your spring dress, but your other e-photos were totally summery, so this is a nice change of pace. No wonder you can't stop staring at them!!!

4ever, you are a ninja! Awesome that you're getting everything done early so you can enjoy your engagement!

AFM...this week has been a beating (travel woes, home buying stress, dress doesn't fit, one missing cat - she's been found!, one cat had surgery and we're waiting on the biopsy results, missed my FI's 30th birthday), but I have a few stupid things to share!

Our stamps (both postage and rubber) have been ordered! Our invitations are covered in blooms, so we created a complimentary image that will be on the postage, then will be followed through as a rubber stamp on our welcome bags and favors (and anywhere else we need to stamp something!). My mom thinks they look like a cabbage, but I like them. :lol: Plus the invitations have been printed, the calligraphed envelopes delivered, and we're just waiting on the envelope liners so we can put them all together!

Then the floral show-and-tell on Monday, followed by the timeline meeting with the wedding planner where this (hopefully) all starts to come together! I did just learn that the song that we're considering using for our first dance was used by my MOH at her wedding...to her ex-husband on Memorial Day Weekend five years prior. I totally didn't remember this (maybe I was already drunk by the first dance?). But I'm hoping it's not a bad omen!

And, this final thing may be really creepy and morbid, but...my father is deceased and my mom and I have been trying to figure out how to have him at the ceremony. The more pronounced stuff (rose on an empty seat, moment of silence) just aren't me. I think we're going to do a cremation pendant and sew it onto my dress.

CW Zazzle Stamp Small.jpg

CW B&W Stamp Small.jpg

Heart Pendant.jpg

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
sillyberry|1301674570|2885197 said:
vc, I am SO SO happy you ended up doing a Cherry Blossom Festival shoot, because these are just awesome. You didn't get your spring dress, but your other e-photos were totally summery, so this is a nice change of pace. No wonder you can't stop staring at them!!!

AFM...this week has been a beating (travel woes, home buying stress, dress doesn't fit, one missing cat - she's been found!, one cat had surgery and we're waiting on the biopsy results, missed my FI's 30th birthday), but I have a few stupid things to share!

Our stamps (both postage and rubber) have been ordered! Our invitations are covered in blooms, so we created a complimentary image that will be on the postage, then will be followed through as a rubber stamp on our welcome bags and favors (and anywhere else we need to stamp something!). My mom thinks they look like a cabbage, but I like them. :lol: Plus the invitations have been printed, the calligraphed envelopes delivered, and we're just waiting on the envelope liners so we can put them all together!

Then the floral show-and-tell on Monday, followed by the timeline meeting with the wedding planner where this (hopefully) all starts to come together! I did just learn that the song that we're considering using for our first dance was used by my MOH at her wedding...to her ex-husband on Memorial Day Weekend five years prior. I totally didn't remember this (maybe I was already drunk by the first dance?). But I'm hoping it's not a bad omen!

And, this final thing may be really creepy and morbid, but...my father is deceased and my mom and I have been trying to figure out how to have him at the ceremony. The more pronounced stuff (rose on an empty seat, moment of silence) just aren't me. I think we're going to do a cremation pendant and sew it onto my dress.

Glad you love them, SB! Did you get a chance to go down to the CBF when you were here last weekend? And ((hugs)) on your stressful week! I hope FI had a good 30th birthday!!! Glad to hear the missing cat has been found and I will keep my fingers crossed on the biopsy results of cat #2.

I LOVE your stamps! If you were going for garden/cabbage roses, I think you hit the nail on the head!!! ;)) And I can't WAIT to hear about the floral show and tell! Weird about the first dance song, but if it means something to you, then I say omen-shmomen.

Also, I don't think that pendant is creepy or morbid. I think it's a thoughtful and loving way to have your father with you. Is your mother walking you down the aisle?

VC - your photos are lovely! The blossoms are just beautiful. And you're not so bad yourself. ;-)

SB - I'm so glad you found your cat! That happened to me last year and I know how stressful that can be. I'm sending positive vibes for cat #2's results. Honoring your father is so important, and you should do it however you see fit, and however will make you feel closest to him on this very important day. If you are happy with the pendant, go for it! Not morbid at all.

Today is the 6 month mark for me and I finally decided on a photographer. His was the best meeting I had of the three I whittled it down to. So, so, so glad to have that off the list. The next thing I'm looking forward to is cake. I already have a bakery chosen. They are in the top 25 bakeries in the U.S. every year. In just 2 weeks we have our appointment and get to try 4 different kinds - red velvet, carrot cake, genoise, and marble! Yum!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, FMS! Any update on your grandpa? Also, your cake sounds like it will be amazing. But I'm not familiar with genoise...what is that? And yay for a photographer!

No real updates here. The Rehearsal Luncheon invites are addressed and ready to be mailed. Just need stamps. My project for this week is getting all the wording done for the invitations so I can get those either 1) assembled over the weekend or 2) assembled next week if the government goes into shutdown and I get a few extra days of unpaid vacation...

SB, I've got my fingers crossed that everything works out with your dress!

VC - so you're a federal government employee, too? I'm wondering if they'll get something done so we are able to work next week!

Grandpa had his first round of chemo and radiation today. Yes, they are doing both at the same time. I did finally ask him to walk me down the aisle last weekend. He said he would be honored, and would roll down the aisle in a wheelchair if he had to. He even teared up a bit. It was a very special moment.

I also want to share a link with you ladies, and I wish you would please go to it, since the stinky website is blocking me from saving a copy of the picture to upload for you all. I think this is the dress that I will wear for partying after our reception ends at 11:30. I found it totally on a whim at David's Bridal today. It is actually a bm dress. I've been looking for something for when we go out to the bars so that I don't have to wear my actual bridal gown and have it stepped and/or spilled on.

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Slim-Charmeuse-Dress-with-Chiffon-Detailing-F14193_Bridal-Party-Bridesmaids-Short-Bridesmaid-Dresses

What do you think?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results