shape
carat
color
clarity

Getting a little upset here.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Came in to work this morning to notices of three mandatory UNPAID shut downs at work over the next 6 months. Basically that''s one month I have to take off without pay this year. And this is going to seriously affect any bonus we get (if we get one at all)

STRESSSSSSSSSSSS

The industry I''m in is down. And shutdowns precede lay offs. So next year, early, there might be some lay offs.

SO we''ve offically gone into Zero discretionary income mode at home. Plus FI is getting a second, part time, job ASAP.

Stupid.

But I feel like crying. Oddly enough, crying for my ring re-set. Not going to happen. Again.

I was so happy I finally made a decision.

Maybe I should look to get out of this industry ASAP. Don''t know what the chances are there though.

Worried, and panicking a little.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Gypsy, I''m sorry for the bad news. I''d say it never hurts to start looking outside the industry if the forecast is poor. It''s better to look now before the market gets flooded with jobseekers.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
gypsy...i remember you moved here recently...what was the reasoning behind you coming here? i ask because you know this area is UBER expensive to live in. i don't know that i would really ever move to come live in an area like this if my job industry was potentially unstable or the 2nd half in my life couldn't more than cover us. in fact i often question why anyone would really ever move here from anywhere cheaper (aka *anywhere*) but that's another topic!! i was born and raised here so this is all i know, but there are so many other places to live where your dollar goes so much farther, and it took me years to actually realize that. i thought everyone always lived in such expensive areas.

i ask you this question as well because i don't see you guys 'getting ahead'. is that in the forecast? living here? greg and i are considering moving out of this area because of that very question...and we live a pretty luxurious 'do what we want' lifestyle right now but we can't maintain that forever living in this area and especially not if we decide to have children.

just some food for thought. i adore it here because this is my home. but chances are i will leave it at some point in the near future...we are already thinking and preparing for what/when/where etc. so i'm curious why you would have come here when it sounds like from day1 the job you came here for was never really quite all you hoped..and pay never seemed to really be all that fabulous from things you have said.

maybe it's time to think about cutting losses and returning to home, wherever that is, or another area where the industry is stronger OR as you mentioned another industry entirely, if there is ever a time to make a career change it's as young as possible. don't wait another 5 years or so to start a new career.

on a random potential silver-lining note, i would love if i had to take mandatory time off, can you say forced vacation??! hehee. then again, i am always up for a little extra time off (and i am a contractor as well, so i don't work and i don't get paid, but my hourly rate more than makes up for anything like that) to recoup and rejuvenate!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Gypsey,

I''m sorry, too, that cannot be fun. In those conditions, it is more challenging to count ones blessings.

I hope things turn better.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for the sincere commiseration.

Mara, my whole family is here. And I've lived away from them for the last 10 years on the east coast. My grandfather, who literally took the place of my father when he abandoned my mother and myself, is 90 with bad health problems. I just wanted to be near him. That was a large reason for it. Another was that in NJ all I was getting was medical/pharmacutical work which I hated, plus AT THAT TIME the market there was not hot. The permanent offers I was getting started at 20K less than what I'm making now. SO I seemed like the smart thing to do. But it ate up a lot of our savings, we've just started getting it back.... but since I didn't 'officially' start until the last week of april, I'm going to earn much less PTO than I would have starting in January. Plus we only get 3 weeks of PTO, and HALF WAY THROUGH THE YEAR they are calling for 4 weeks of shut downs. So everyone here is screwed anyway.

It's just really rotten.

I'm cancelling my PTO two days for July 2nd and 3rd and boy am, I glad we didn't commit to that resort in Tahoe (fires aside). Which was going to be my first vacation in a very long time, in order to save the time for the 'mandatory' time I have to take off. What really blows is that its not selfr scheduled. We have to take X and Y weeks off.

Sorry, just... venting. Argh.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Awww Gypsy honey. I wish I could just hug you. You can cry over your reset sweetie (we here all understand). I think it might be worth it to look in another industry. You need stability and this job isn't quite there yet. I firmly believe that when one door closes....(and this one isn't even closed)... well you know the rest. I'm not sure but are you a lawyer by any chance? I'm going to hunt up your old posts. Either way, I think there are a lot of other fields you can work on. Since you feel there will be future layoffs this might be a good chance to get a jump start on new opportunites. We're all rooting for you (and the reset too
2.gif
)

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Gosh what bad news Gypsy. Sorry to hear that you are being forced into vacation time. What industry are you in? Most of silicon valley seems pretty strong right now - what sector are you in?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
gypsy, it makes more sense when you say your family is here in terms of why you returned...but it still doesn''t make it easier at all to live here!! sometimes i wish my family would move away so that i''d have no REAL reason to stay here. i can work in almost any tech hub area as can greg but i would really miss my family.

beacon, much of the bayarea is booming again...the job market is SO hot right now for my industry...when i was looking about 3 months ago i was getting 14 calls a day from recruiters and companies, it was CRAZY. i had to stop answering my phone!

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Right Mara, that''s what I thought. My husband is a software developer and there seem to be a lot of jobs and demand out there. That is why I am curious what industry Gypsy is in that is getting weaker.

Hers is not the only case of forced time off I have heard about around here though. Still, things seem strong, so I wonder what line you are Gyspy?

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
That''s pretty darn awful, isn''t it? Sorry :(

Cali can be very expensive, but people make it work all the time (my dad and stepmother, for example). I wouldn''t worry about moving if you need to be there for family. But I do second the idea of getting into another industry! Unless you are very attached to your current work--perhaps this month "vacation" could be time to look into other career or career-retraining option?

There''s always money around, just have to look under the right stones. Deep breaths!

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
hi! i am sorry things are taking another turn down for you. i seem to remember that you have stated writing is your passion, maybe you can use this break to work on the book you have started. just a thought, i''ll be sending you good vibes. good luck!
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
RT it is so expensive here and i agree that people can make it work, most everyone who wants to be here can do that as well. BUT for me it's not just about making it work, it's more about 'can we really get ahead'...your dollar is worth so much more elsewhere. and really at some point just making it work doesn't get you anywhere, and what about retirement?

and to be really honest the weather here lately has sucked...it's super cold at night and the days aren't even that hot like they used to be...it drives me nuts actually to have to wear TWO SWEATERS to have to go for a 8pm walk on a night in june. just crazy.

my parents have lived here for all their lives basically as well and they love it here. they kicked around the idea of moving and retiring somewhere else but in the end i think they will stay here. they are currently looking for another place to move to and keep their house now they have in cupertino (school district is fabulous) to rent out, but it is amazing what 1.4 million WON'T buy you. it's just crazy. when/if we move away, we are kicking around the idea of keeping a 1 bedroom condo here in the bayarea just for investment and rental purposes, it'd be like $300k to buy most likely. and then wherever we go we will end up buying a $300kish house there which will be like 2700 sq ft on 1/4 acre in a good area. go figure...such a disparity, it seems just SO wrong.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, I''m really sorry to hear about the shutdowns! (And especially the negative side-effect on your ring progress
39.gif
)

This may be way outta left field, but I''m signed with a temping agency that I can just call up if I''m not getting work (since all my work is "temporary" anyway). I just tell them when I want work for and they''ll find somewhere to place me. Usually secretarial stuff. I know you weren''t really asking for advice on that but I thought it might be an option!

Sorry again for the stress!!

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Haha, I wasn't disputing that housing prices are RIDICULOUS there, just that if you need to it can be done. I personally wouldn't do it because I dislike the area. But if "getting ahead" is not worth as much to you as staying where you are, then you should stay where you are. It's all a balancing act. Sort of like New York--I don't understand why people live there their whole lives, but it's obviously worth it to them.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't feel comfortable posting the industry on here. Lots of lurkers an so forth. But it's industry wide, all our customers and our supplier's are doing this as well.

No I'm not completely attached. And I am an attorney. But I work as an contracts associate, which is where I want to be. Whatever industry its in I want to be a contracts manager/associate/negotiator. But most of the jobs I've seen posted require 2 years of ACTUAL contracts negotiation experience and I don't have that yet. I worked in pharmacutical/med litigation AND in land use policy previously. It's taken me a while to find my 'niche'... and now that I have a job in it, I have to stick it out so that my resume is solid in this area.

Still, I may be ablet o find other contracts positions around here, and it's worth looking into. I'm just not that hopefully given my resume will only have 10 months of this on there. It's been ten intense months, since there are only 2 of us, and one of us isn't an attorney. So the level of exposure I've had is very senior and WAY WAY above what I would have been exposed to in another company. But on paper, it's only 10 months. Although a good cover letter would certainly go a long way in explaining things.

I want to work for Crate and Barrel. LMAO. Honestly if there was a supply side/ purchasing contracts position at Crate and Barrel I would SO be there.

You know... that temp idea is a great one. I'll have to look into that. Actually one of the attorney's I've negotiated with in the past has a temp side to his firm... contracts negotiators on a per job basis. Which would be perfect.

Hmm... thanks for that hint. I'm going to have to contact him.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, I''m so sorry to hear about the mandatory unpaid shut downs you have to take and I''m sorry you won''t be getting your reset done.
8.gif
I''m curious to know what industry you''re in too. I think you should look to get out of that industry if it''s doing so poorly. Hugs!

The cost of living here is crazy! My husband and I often think about how we could get a huge place if we lived somewhere else. But all of our family is here. I grew up here. I can''t imagine living anywhere else!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2007 1:23:25 PM
Author: Gypsy
You know... that temp idea is a great one. I''ll have to look into that. Actually one of the attorney''s I''ve negotiated with in the past has a temp side to his firm... contracts negotiators on a per job basis. Which would be perfect.

Hmm... thanks for that hint. I''m going to have to contact him.
I''m glad I could help!!
9.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy,
that is stressful; I am so sorry.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Gypsy,

I was going to suggest temping, and I see that musey already did. I used to work in publishing for a large publishing house in Boston. One of the people in HR was responsible for hiring temps to work in whatever department needed an extra hand if someone was out (like a sub for teachers). Before I got my job in the children''s production dept., I temped for a few months. It was GREAT experience because I got to work in various divisions and I dabbled in the production, editorial, and corporate sides of the business -- mostly as someone''s assistant. I loved that this publishing hired their own temps -- it wasn''t through an outside temp agency. That''s the route I''d recommend, whether it''s through an outside agency or an internal one at a particular company.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2007 1:38:53 PM
Author: musey

You know... that temp idea is a great one. I''ll have to look into that. Actually one of the attorney''s I''ve negotiated with in the past has a temp side to his firm... contracts negotiators on a per job basis. Which would be perfect.

I''m glad I could help!!
9.gif

I contacted him and we are having lunch next week. Hopefully he''ll have something for me. I''d love to assist on a couple of contract negotiatins though them. It would really BOOST my resume nicely. And increase my networking net.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2007 4:31:38 PM

I contacted him and we are having lunch next week. Hopefully he''ll have something for me. I''d love to assist on a couple of contract negotiatins though them. It would really BOOST my resume nicely. And increase my networking net.
That''s great! I''m keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2007 5:01:14 PM
Author: snlee

That''s great! I''m keeping my fingers crossed for you!
Awesome Gypsy, Keeping my fingers crossed for you too!!!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
So sorry for your job troubles Gypsy and the resulting impact on your ring re-set project. I'm glad you have a lead on something though and I sincerely hope that it works out for you! Keep us posted.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2007 1:38:53 PM

Author: musey

I''m glad I could help!!
9.gif

THERE''S that silver lining!! This could even lead to better job opportunities in the future!
10.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif

They just told us that Operations (overarching department where I work) is required to take AN ADDITIONAL 40 hours off THIS QUARTER. That''s 80 hours this quarter. Not to mention All of Thankgiving week. ANd the week before Chistmas, AND the week of Christmas.

I''m LIVID.

29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh no Gypsy, I would start look for work. that is awful!!!! Hugs

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am, immediately. This is ridiculous. Absurd.
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif

I was promised X amount per year salary. That''s about... A LOT of money that I''m losing because of this. Plus no ''real'' vacation time. My vacations are forced on me. I would have been better off in Jersey making 20K less. Lower cost of living, and the possibility of a nice bonus. PLUS FI would have been making much more cause he was established there.
29.gif

I''m fire breathing FURIOUS.
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Oh no!!! That''s terrible!!! *hugs*

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy gonna choke someone. And I don''t blame you one bit.

I''m so sorry to hear this. The best defense is a good offense. I assume you will already be well on your way to looking for another position. I hope you can find something that suits you, quickly. That is seriously absurd. Seriously.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to hear of your situation Gypsy! I just got laid off my job last week and it sucks, it was sort of a shock but the company was trimming the fat so to speak and I happened to be the person with the least seniority. Anyway, I agree with others that temping can be a great way to get some income while you''re looking for that perfect job opp. It''s actually how I got my last job! I am thinking of going back to my temp agency at this point just so I don''t have to draw unemployment and be totally bored, although I do have a lot more time to work out now which is nice! Hey, look at it this way, with your mandatory vacation time you can really work out a lot and lose weight even faster now!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results