shape
carat
color
clarity

Getting a bit stressed about picking pearls online

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t live in the USA so returns are not simple or affordable. I’m looking at takahashi, moline, and pearl paradise for 8mm round Akoya gem quality pearl studs. I get overwhelmed with all the subtle nuances, price differences, and options. I’m starting to get stressed! I just want to close my eyes and pull the trigger.

Any advice?

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@yssie with all respects she’s the pearl guru!! OP You can find all her posts about pearls and what to look for, selection etc… I love her collection and know how you feel. I have a few pearl pieces and it’s nowhere as fab as @yssie.. read her take on Mikimoto NYC. Hopefully she’ll be by soon to help you.

Honestly I have the 8mm freshadama from PP and I did reach out to Andrew Moline for a fabulous pair but couldn’t bring myself to do it so I do understand you!

-C4C

Last edited:

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
I have gem quality from Andrew Moline. They are stunning. He was so easy to work with, I would definitely recommend! His gem quality is going to top Pearl Paradise for sure. He is very flexible and fast to respond.

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
I also wanted to add that shipping from Takahashi will be a pain nomatter where you live, since they ship directly from Japan, and it’s expensive. I also believe they do not do returns. If I remember right, my Andrew Moline studs were “final purchase” and no returns due to hygiene concerns with them being earrings.

Pearl Paradise would be easiest, but you’re gonna get the best pearls from Moline or Takahashi :) both are great and easy to work with.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you by chance in Canada? Returns from Pearl Paradise aren’t easy for internationals either, although there are degrees of difficult - Canada is probably easiest. But not free.

Andrew Moline has an akoya upgrade policy - I don’t know if anyone else who does! That’s a big plus IMO. I would just check what your return options and costs would be as an international customer.

Takahashi - lower prices, fantastic goods, but yeah, you’re taking full responsibility for your selection. No returns. Shipping varies depending on where you live and whether or not you want insurance.

If you’re at #CloseEyesPullTrigger then my vote is Andrew, let him know what you want and let him do the searching and nitpicking for you ::)

@Sprinkles&Stones Maybe reach out to Andrew and see if you’d be grandfathered into his upgrade policy? For future even if not right now ::)

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
This is soooo helpful everyone. Thank you! I’ll post pics. Was leaning towards moline for a lot of reasons and this just clinched it for me. Now I feel relieved and excited! Thank you!!

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Are you by chance in Canada? Returns from Pearl Paradise aren’t easy for internationals either, although there are degrees of difficult - Canada is probably easiest. But not free.

Andrew Moline has an akoya upgrade policy - I don’t know if anyone else who does! That’s a big plus IMO. I would just check what your return options and costs would be as an international customer.

Takahashi - lower prices, fantastic goods, but yeah, you’re taking full responsibility for your selection. No returns. Shipping varies depending on where you live and whether or not you want insurance.

If you’re at #CloseEyesPullTrigger then my vote is Andrew, let him know what you want and let him do the searching and nitpicking for you ::)

@Sprinkles&Stones Maybe reach out to Andrew and see if you’d be grandfathered into his upgrade policy? For future even if not right now ::)

oh no, and here I was trying to save money and NOT think about upgrades! ;-) I do think my studs are under his upgrade policy.. but I was SO trying not to think about that haha!

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
This is soooo helpful everyone. Thank you! I’ll post pics. Was leaning towards moline for a lot of reasons and this just clinched it for me. Now I feel relieved and excited! Thank you!!

He is truly really great to work with. :) Tell him exactly what you want he'll pick out something great for you. I told him my size of stud, gold karat and "pick out the least pink pair you have". My gemmy studs are completely equal to the ones I saw at Mikimoto too. :)

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
He is truly really great to work with. :) Tell him exactly what you want he'll pick out something great for you. I told him my size of stud, gold karat and "pick out the least pink pair you have". My gemmy studs are completely equal to the ones I saw at Mikimoto too. :)

Pics?

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock

Here ya go! This link shows pearl paradise's AAA akoyas vs. Andrew Moline's gem quality 7.5mm studs :)

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock

Here ya go! This link shows pearl paradise's AAA akoyas vs. Andrew Moline's gem quality 7.5mm studs :)

Thank you

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don’t live in the USA so returns are not simple or affordable. I’m looking at takahashi, moline, and pearl paradise for 8mm round Akoya gem quality pearl studs. I get overwhelmed with all the subtle nuances, price differences, and options. I’m starting to get stressed! I just want to close my eyes and pull the trigger.

Any advice?

i know how hard it is buying things off the internet when one doesnt live in the US and returning stuff is intractable and exspensive
i am on a steep learning curve so practicing with a much lower budget

but you can do it
just take your time, ask questions and keep us posted

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results