shape
carat
color
clarity

Generous with your compliments?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NY Princess

Rough_Rock
I work in a place where I see hundreds of people all day long. Sometimes, I want to compliment the women on their rings but I keep thinking that they might not be comfortable with a stranger eyeing their ring....

I know ps is different BUT do you compliment stranger''s rings?

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Yup! Only when something really catches my eye, but I''d say 90% of the women I''ve complimented have been happy to hear it. One or two kind of look at me like I''m a weirdo, but oh well.

The best was a woman when I worked at Build-A-Bear - she was thrilled that I noticed. Her husband designed the ring on his own, and she said she didn''t get a lot of compliments on it. I have no clue why, that ring sparkled like nothing I''d ever seen.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I generally comment on something I think is really pretty and they are usually seem pleased for the compliment.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2010 12:09:31 AM
Author: marcyc
I generally comment on something I think is really pretty and they are usually seem pleased for the compliment.

Ditto-only one person has ever looked at me like I''m crazy!

Most women seem to love that someone notices. One woman in particular was super impressed because I knew she had asschers in her ring. Her ring was stunning-a 3 stone, not super big, but the asschers were really well cut and the 2 side stone asschers were fancy light yellows. I loved that ring!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I rarely see one I want to compliment
2.gif
But when I do I let them know!

natalina

Brilliant_Rock
I compliment if they seem friendly. Never had anyone react strangely. I never mind if someone mentions my rings!
2.gif

tlh

Ideal_Rock
I''m not a very intimidating person. So when I compliment something, I typically get glowing responses. Now if I were a large man or lingering in parkling lots asking for spare change- I might not get such friendly receptions.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to work in retail and saw lots and lots of rings every day. I gave compliments when I really liked someone''s ring but never gushed and went overboard. I think a quiet "wow, your ring is beautiful," is appropriate when dealing with the public. I never had anyone seem offended or creeped out. In my experience, people can be really weird about receiving compliments on their general appearance (hair, outfit, etc.) but compliments on their jewelry are generally very well-received.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
I can't imagine that anyone would be annoyed at such a compliment! I rarely give them out though (IRL).

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Yep
Although I don't mean to, my verbiage can come out kinda specific ("oh wow, what a gorgeous cushion, the split-shank setting really makes it pop!")- they think I KNOW what I'm talking about, so it's well-received
31.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
For a long time, I complimented people and have had mixed reactions. Some are thrilled and others look at me like I'm a bit odd. Recently, I decided to quit commenting b/c I had seen a gorgeous diamond on a friend and after mentioning it, she said it was a CZ. Both of us felt really stupid. Another time I told a friend she has a beautiful set (an antique set) but after telling her I loved it, she said it wasn't a comfortable subject as it was a passed down from her husband's family.

Also one that kind of left me feeling uncomfortable. . .an aquaintance at my son's school has a very pretty antique stone and I told her I loved her ring and her and I spent half an hour talking about diamonds. The only bad part was she kept saying she wanted larger and the diamond she had was too small, but that was what she had to settle with. The deal is hers is about 2X the size of mine and I kind of had to hid my hand in my pocket.
14.gif

Sooo, no more comments. I'll just wearing my sparkilies proudly and let those who feel like doing so, do the same as well. The others - I don't want to know if their stories are good or bad.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Hmm ... I think I'm more likely to compliment women on their shoes or outfits. Rings are pretty small, so to admit I'm staring at their ring seems kind of strange
41.gif
Though if I worked in a job where I could easily see people's hands (if they were signing in at an office, signing a receipt, etc) I would feel comfortable complimenting becaues it would be obvious why I was looking at their hands.

So Excited

Shiny_Rock
I will comment when I see something that REALLY catches my eye, but honestly it doesn''t happen very often. Maybe living in a smaller town in WI puts me far enough away from the Bling Bling that would appeal to me.
emsad.gif

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
Ugh happens to me all the time!

Unfortunately, planning weddings puts me in touch with tons of brides with nice sparkly new engagement rings that they are just dying to show off. And planning weddings in NJ/NY??? I never see a ring under 2.5 cts. Its hard not to talk about it! **sigh**
5.gif

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
When I see a ring I really like, I give a compliment. The recipient is always happy and pleased. I am happy too when I get compliments on my ring and jewelery.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I do usually try to comment on a ring or anything else that stands out to me - in my experience, women are generally very pleased and flattered to receive such compliments.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
I do compliment a lot on really pretty jewelry. I love jewelry, so I can't help it!

I'm with MC on the awkward moments, though. This weekend, I complimented a friend on her diamond stud earrings from a few feet away at a party - her earrings were flashing at me! Then when I walked up, saw that they were obviously CZs. She seemed really uncomfortable about it so I changed the subject as fast as I could.
32.gif
I felt really awful for making her feel uncomfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results