shape
carat
color
clarity

Gemstone with name (even nickname/common name) starting with ''U''?

Rae~

Shiny_Rock
I am looking for ideas for a surprise stone in a gem with a name starting with ''U'', and I''m having trouble.

Does anyone have any ideas? It doean''t even have to be especially "pretty" (and obviously will be rarely seen)... just need to link it to the letter U somehow. :)

Appreciate any thoughts anyone might have!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe a gem that comes from a "U" location?

Like Ural mountain demantoids?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Umbalite garnet?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Uvarovite Garnet - Here is one. Link

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Gemstone: Uvite
Variety-Species: Tourmaline

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not even checking what other people have said because I want to check my own knowledge. The first thing coming to mind would be "umbalite"

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Uvarovite (comes in druzy) and uvite (tourmalie; do not know how common it is)

I had to go from "ua" to "uw" in my head to remember it

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BTW - uvarovite is beautiful but you have no chance to find it as a stone; druzy are common; you can buy them off ebay and they work well in jewelry

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ulexite.

Rae~

Shiny_Rock
Oh, thank you so much for all the replies and suggestions!

It is really going to come down to what I (or the jeweller) can source, as it seems finding an actual stone in some of these is going to be difficult. But at least I will be able to start with a short list to start to search for. It''s not going to be a large stone - since it will be on the inside of a 3mm band, maybe approx 2mm. Tiny!

Any further suggestions are welcome. And MakingTheGrade, I like your suggestion re a Ural Mountains Demantoid, if all else fails. :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/29/2010 6:58:24 PM
Author: Rae~
Oh, thank you so much for all the replies and suggestions!

It is really going to come down to what I (or the jeweller) can source, as it seems finding an actual stone in some of these is going to be difficult. But at least I will be able to start with a short list to start to search for. It''s not going to be a large stone - since it will be on the inside of a 3mm band, maybe approx 2mm. Tiny!

Any further suggestions are welcome. And MakingTheGrade, I like your suggestion re a Ural Mountains Demantoid, if all else fails. :)
Barry of acstones.com might have some umbalite material. I just saw some mentioned in his newsletter. Email him. They''re affordable too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results