shape
carat
color
clarity

Gemstone Photo

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nwphew

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I would like to know the best way to photograph Opal. I have some that I would like to photograph, but just can''t get it right. I''m using a Sony point and shoot digital
36.gif
camera. I''ve tried adjusting the setting, as well as taking the picture outside without any luck. Some advice would be grealty appreciated.

Thank you

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Try (if you haven''t) turning off the flash, using indirect lighting (some wall-mounted sources for example) and some contrasting background (dark for white opals and light for black ones). That might help - not that I''m an expert, I just read those things.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Shooting opals in water shows the color well.

Don''t forget to use the macro mode (little flower symbol on most digitals).

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/2/2009 12:00:24 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood
Shooting opals in water shows the color well.

Don''t forget to use the macro mode (little flower symbol on most digitals).
interesting to know that. great tip there Richard
36.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I second the suggestion of a dark or contrasting background (lay it on a dark cloth), no flash, indirect lighting and of course, the macro mode.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you do photgraph your opals wet, with oil or in water to be able to capture the play of light, be sure to mention this in a description, if you are using the photos commercially. Fair disclosure of temporary treatment et al.

rubyisforlove

Rough_Rock
In the macro mode try to use the optical zoom,use lowest possible ISO(in P&S camera it is usually 100),Use broad daylight,take at least three shots for any single view with EV 0,+0.5,-0.5,keep light settings to daylight (you may try with cloudy,if the sunlight is not so bright),Most important of the composition in macro shot is the background,which shows the depth of the field,use different background for experimental shots.Now you press the shutter button halfway-you will hear a click like sound,also the red looking focus point in your camera''s display will change from red to green-your focus is locked now(if it blinks red,that means either you are too near or too far from the object)-you can now either press the shutter full to take the shot,or move your camera a bit to different position for that locked focus condition.
Now,see the picture attached,you will get similar picture when your focus is locked.This picture was taken under the conditions/settings I have described above (resized and illustrations drawn in Adobe Photoshop CS4) with a Sony basic point and shoot camera.
I am not a pro photographer,but I am trying to make you understand the things which I learnt from the web and lot of experimental shots.Take as much experimental shots as possible,because Digital camera cost you nothing unlike films,upload to your computer-do the basic image editing if you feel,your image is not so vibrant as it should be.
Just go through the manual which came with your camera-it will make you to do things easier.

08032008221.jpg

nwphew

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for the info. I actually tried taking some picture and a few of them came pretty decent, while other didn''t look quite as good. I''lll keep trying until I eventually get it right. I know this is very important in order to market my gems.

Thank You

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results