shape
carat
color
clarity

Gems and Gemology article on Fluorescence?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Finally!

Rough_Rock
I spent the weekend in Columbus, OH due to BF''s work. I decided I would spend my Saturday afternoon visiting the B&Ms, looking for potential in-house candidates for my ering RB center. I have decided I really want SB or VSB Fluorescence, which greatly narrows the options in the D-I range in my target carat weight, 1.3 - 1.5. In this process, I met a very nice and helpful jeweler in downtown, Mr. Sadiq. While he did not have what I was looking for, I was impressed with his store and his ring designs, as well as his demeanor. I suggested that he consider participating on PS, and I hope he considers it. If I''d seen one of his settings when I was still looking for my ering setting, I believe I might have purchased one of his.

A goldsmith and designer, Mr. Weidinger, was very knowledgeable and obviously dedicated to his profession. He hand-picks his in-house collection for beauty, and sells only AGS DQD stones (he was quite proud of this.) He said he would not consider selling online. He believes a customer needs to see the stone in person, and usually, be shown how to look at it. He thinks people these days get too wrapped up in numbers and miss the idea that a diamond should be assessed by its beauty, first and foremost.

He told me that, when considering a diamond in general, I should focus on the fire, find one very bright glint, and see how long the ''rays'' are that shine off the glint, like car headlights at night. I think he was telling me that this is what we''re identifying as the "beauty" in a diamond. I thought it might be what people mean when they say a diamond was "blindingly beautiful." It surely was interesting, in any case.

He showed me a Strong Blue (I think it was at least a K, if not lower in color.) I didn''t care for the color in normal light - it was too colored for my taste - but WOW the Strong Blue Fluor was beautiful. I''d never seen MB or stronger in person. He showed me a Medium Blue as well, and I really didn''t care for it because, to me, it wasn''t obvious. He said he wouldn''t carry a stone of higher than H color with any serious fluorescence to it at all. He believes that even Medium Blue could negatively affect higher colors. He suggested that I find and read the Gems & Gemology article from not too long ago about fluorescence before I commit to a VSB purchase. Does anyone know where I can find this article? I would like to read it, if only to enhance my knowledge.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Applause for you for actually going to look at the fluorescent stones to see if you liked them.

Applause for your jeweler too, who sounds like an upstanding member of our trade, even if I disagree with him about the higher colors and fluorescence. I find the article to be a good read in favor of looking at each stone and not prejudging it, rather than against fluorescence in the higher colors. This is a wonderful profession and there is LOTS of room for educated disagreement. I am glad you found someone with good knowledge to show you these gems.

Sounds like you had a remarkable experience!

Wink

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results