shape
carat
color
clarity

GemGal123 to laser or not to laser inclusion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have posted this PM. I recomend she drills it.
I have done this for a few clients and they have been very happy. There is a slight risk involved, and I would ensure the diamond has an all risks policy or the jeweler will take responsability (I do not however).
Here is the request:

Hi there, I''m having some trouble posting so I''m messaging a few individuals instead. I hope you don''t mind helping me. Hi All,

I did a search and was unable to find information on this topic. I have a beautiful diamond, round brilliant 1.51 ct. However, it has a dark spot, not jagged, just a dark dot that is visible to my fiance and myself. When he purchased it, it wasn''t as noticeable to the naked eye - but now we have become much more conscious of it, and it bothers us both. We spoke with our jeweler and were going to replace the stone, but it''s very costly just to go one step up in clarity, and not really in our budget. So he offered an alternative that he doesn''t normally recommend, but said he will look into in our case. He said he can possibly laser the dot and we won''t be able to see it (it may just leave a small white mark instead of the black mark) He said before he does anything, he will consult with someone to ensure it won''t affect the diamond negatively - clouding, etc... but I wanted some thoughts on this. I absolutely LOVE the diamond and if this can be done just to remove the spot, we''d be thrilled. Have you ever seen the "after" effects of this process. Please share your thoughts on whether we should just save and upgrade, or if this may be a good idea. ....FYI, the spot is close enough to the surface that he said it should be pretty simple to do. I''d really appreciate any info you have on this. Thanks in advance!!! :)

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
I also vote for it, only if the professional looking at it says that it can be done with out any sort of damage to the stone, but generally it''s a pretty safe thing.

By the way, how much does laser drilling run? Anyone know?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There''s still going to be a visible speck there after drilling: not great if it''s right in the middle of the table and the owner doesn''t like incusions much to begin with. It''s not like that stone is going to have a makeover... and from the message I deduce that they have not seen a laser drilled diamond.

Perhaps instead of upgrade, they could exchange the stone for a clarity enhanced one ? If the jeweler would provide, that is...

Just in case, DBL has one lasered beauty posted, pictures and all (link)

250_I1_Gdinclusion.jpg

No telling what the "before" looked like thoough ;-)

Doesn''t Yehuda do their trick on request ?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

It sounds like the jeweler has offered a trade in for another stone with more acceptable parameters. I’ld go with this approach. If you modify the stone you have and still don’t like it, you will find it even more difficult to trade it afterwards. Your stone will forever be branded as ‘treated’. There is always a balance between the various attributes of the stone and the price. If you need a higher clarity and are unable to raise the price, discuss with the jeweler what happens if you lower the size or the color a little bit at the same time.

Neil Beaty
Independent Appraisals in Denver

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results