shape
carat
color
clarity

GemEx tech

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stupid-diamonds

Rough_Rock
Does GemEx technology mean anything to anyone? How important are its ratings vs a Sarin report? When the jeweler used the GemEx rating it seemed to correlate w/what i was seeing with my two eyes.

JD_MD

Rough_Rock
A Sarin report accurately measures a diamond's table, depth, crown and pavilion angles, facet symetry and a host of other "measurable" properties of a diamond that will allow a person to grade the quality of the cut against various trade standards.

Certain numbers in the sarin report, including table, depth, crown angle, pavilion angle and culet can be entered in to the HCA https://www.pricescope.com/cutadviser.asp to give a score that will allow a person to have a general idea of the diamond's EXPECTED light performance.

Gemex measures ACTUAL optical light performance. It's useful because if someone is not able to view a diamond in person, he/she will have an idea of how the stone will perform if they were to see it with their own two eyes.

Since a Gemex "sees" light return, it's no surprise that your eyes may be attracted to diamonds with higher Gemex scores, although it's certainly possible to have a diamond with very high Gemex scores (that will also look great to you) that fall outside of the industry ideal cut range.

Hence....a top notch diamond will have an "ideal" cut rating based on certain factors contained in the sarin report, an HCA score of less than 2 and a Gemex score of at least high, very-high, high.

Just my opinion though!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL JD_MD that answer will throw Sir John into a tissy but ssssshhhhhhh I agree with you mostly.

The B-scope isnt the final word on diamond performance but it does make a nice peice of the puzzle if the report is available.

JD_MD

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/5/2005 4:39:00 PM
Author: strmrdr
LOL JD_MD that answer will throw Sir John into a tissy but ssssshhhhhhh I agree with you mostly.

The B-scope isnt the final word on diamond performance but it does make a nice peice of the puzzle if the report is available.
Good point..

There are many ways to measure a diamond''s light performance, but a Gemex is a perfectly acceptable way of doing so. If sure there are MANY opinions on which tool is the best....but if "Stupid-Diamonds" (love the name) only has access to a Gemex then I didn''t want to confuse him!

drkewl

Rough_Rock
Good HCA score, good cut, good brilliancescope performance, nice idealscope with minimal leakage...

i mean, i think thats a good battery of tests to find a good performing diamond. I feel like you soon get to a point where the differences became so small that you can''t really see the difference anyways (maybe with the exception of the true experts in the industry who deal with diamonds daily)

I totally respect John''s opinions on the matter as well, but I think even he''d agree that as one potential tool to help determine the light preformance of a diamond, the brilliancescope has some value
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results