shape
carat
color
clarity

Gem Shows Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyone going to this one? (aside from me that is)

MARLBOROUGH, MA • Royal Plaza Trade Center November 13-15

-A

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I was planning on going, probably on Saturday. The one in July was a big disappointment but I''m hoping that since this will be nearer the holidays that there will be more gem/jewelry vendors there (as opposed to beads, handbags, sunglasses and scarves).

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/2/2009 2:02:11 PM
Author: Kismet
I was planning on going, probably on Saturday. The one in July was a big disappointment but I''m hoping that since this will be nearer the holidays that there will be more gem/jewelry vendors there (as opposed to beads, handbags, sunglasses and scarves).
32.gif

Yes lets both hope so! I can see all that other stuff at TJ max all day everyday! I''m going thay friday and told my supervisor Im playing hookey that day. She approved.
21.gif

-A

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
I''m planning to go that Saturday as well. I''m hoping it''s better than the last 2 shows I''ve been to.

I went to a newer show by Malic in early September; there were only about 25 or so vendors in attendance. We were in and out of there in an hour.
8.gif

Then I hiked down to the show in Hartford at the beginning of October; again, sparsely attended. Many of the better quality goods vendors weren''t there and there were many more purse/scarf vendors.
15.gif

Still, like Kismet, I''m hoping the onset of the holiday season will translate to a more robust vendor representation.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
wow Allison, thats really terrible! My jeweler has done this show in the past but he has said that its such a hassle and a waste of time. He didn''t even bother this year. I''m sure the economy is in part to blame for some of it, but also I don''t think its widely advertised either.

I''ll keep my fingers crossed for something that won''t resemble a scarf and purse show.

-A

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Oh I really want to go but I''m not arriving back in the States till the 19th. What a bummer. When I lived in NH I never even knew about Gemstones and now that I''m in Japan I see they are all over the east coast.....what bad luck!
38.gif

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
hmmm should i go?
is there a website that details who would be there? is there more information?

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/4/2009 2:54:43 AM
Author: haagen_dazs
hmmm should i go?

The website is: http://www.intergem.com. It used to have a lot more information on it (vendors at each show) but now it just gives show dates and a list of vendors without specifying which show(s) they''ll be at.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/4/2009 7:41:44 AM
Author: Kismet

Date: 11/4/2009 2:54:43 AM
Author: haagen_dazs
hmmm should i go?

The website is: http://www.intergem.com. It used to have a lot more information on it (vendors at each show) but now it just gives show dates and a list of vendors without specifying which show(s) they''ll be at.
Thank you for the information. Never heard about the show, but plan to attend when it comes to my town.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Kismet, I''m guessing we''ll be there somewhere around noon on Saturday if you want to connect.
1.gif

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There was one at Gebralter trade center in MI a month ago. I dont know if it was the same...it was the gemological society or something like that holding it. Was REALLLLY good. We went with the kids all 3 days.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2009 8:44:20 PM
Author: Allison D.
Kismet, I''m guessing we''ll be there somewhere around noon on Saturday if you want to connect.
1.gif

Definitely! I''m pretty sure we have phone numbers all around. *reminds herself to make sure her phone gets charged*

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ll be there for a couple of hours today. Unfortunately I couldn''t take the whole day to play hookey, since I have a conference call at 4
29.gif
. Of course that means if I see anything good I have to come back.

-A

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m back!

Gem show was interesting. Lots of jewerly, very few scarves and purses *lol* Some of the gems were as you''d expect, ugly. Also, some of the vendors aren''t exactly disclosing the treatment even when asked.

However I asked one guy about the treatment on his emeralds and he said, oh they''re filled with resin, but all emeralds are like that
20.gif

There looks to be a decent sized wholesale area. Saw what was told to me was an alexandrite... 3 ct for 8900. Vendor said it was all natural (I asked for paperwork and he didn''t have any) Since I don''t buy alex I don''t know if thats right or not.

A few antique jewelers, one of which had a natural star sapphire in platinum. Didn''t bother asking for papers because he whipped them badboys out!!! Too bad it was 20K (because it fit my finger
39.gif
)

As for pearls..well... there was one vendor that actually had some decent ones, but they were priced too high the size they were.

It apparently is running the gambut from super cheezy to pretty nice. Today was rather crowded. I will go back to finish up for sure!

-A

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
I''m happy to say a small but very PARTICIPATORY Boston PS group went today, and there were many dollars left behind! LOL

The vendor attendance was MUCH stronger than it''s been at the past two shows I''ve attended, so I''m thrilled. Funny enough, I even met a guy who works in our building in Houston! Small world. :)

I''m sure the ladies will be puting pics up at some point. Let''s just say this: we met up at about noon and we closed it down at 6! Woo-hoo!

Thanks to the ladies who went today - had an AWESOME time.
36.gif

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/12/2009 8:59:02 PM
Author: Tropicgal10
There was one at Gebralter trade center in MI a month ago. I dont know if it was the same...it was the gemological society or something like that holding it. Was REALLLLY good. We went with the kids all 3 days.

NOOOOOOOOO!!!! Don''t tell me that!! We had just missed it- gah! I was in town that weekend (actually a bit north of Chesterfield, but close enough) My mom took FI and I out to dinner, and on our way back we decided to take an impromptu detour and see what was going on at Gibraltar. It was later in the day and the exhibit was closed, but I couldn''t make it the next day because I had to head back to Grand Rapids pretty early.

BUMMER... oh well, maybe next time, right?
31.gif

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad to hear everyone had a great time Allison. I spent a part of my day cleaning out gutters in the pouring rain! Tomorrow is supposed to be nice, and will be good go back for the last day without hubby telling me to hurry up.

I got some tiger eye beads the first day, who knows what I''ll come home with tomorrow
11.gif

-A

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I am so glad you get to go without someone trying to "hurry you along." I hate that! Please buy another cool item and post both of them!!

I enjoy living thru other PSer''s purchases and I like your taste!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I don''t have pictures of my own yet but I''m getting this setting from Andrew Sarosi made for my square rubelite. This stone as a matter of fact:

kiz-rubelite.jpg

I also purchased two other finished pieces which I haven''t got around to photographing yet, but hopefully tonight.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So you''ve had the oval setting made for a Square? Very interesting with the diamonds "sprinkled around the ring."
9.gif

Please share the photos when it''s done!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results