shape
carat
color
clarity

Gem Select

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I was wondering if anyone has had experience with Gem Select. I have looked on their site but I am a total beginner when it comes to buying gems. I''d like to know if their quality/prices were fair. Any comments about any other aspects of your experience with them would be welcome as well.

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
I picked up a pair of 5mm dark red spinel rounds from Gem Select a few weeks ago. It was about $70 for the pair including shipping, which I thought was decent for those stones, as they''re too dark to be top color and one has an inclusion near the girdle that is readily eye-visible (although could probably be covered by a prong when I get them set). That inclusion did not show up on the photos, which is the big reason I''m not so excited about Gem Select. As petite as those spinels were, I really think that inclusion was deliberately hidden, whether by positioning the stone and angling the camera or by Photoshop after the fact. That''s pretty sketchy, IMO.

My overall impression is that their prices tend to be lower because the quality of their goods is not as high as it is for some of the more popular PS vendors. Personally I would not feel comfortable spending any significant money (which for me is $100+) on that site. I''m reasonably pleased with my spinels, but for that purchase I just wanted to get a pair I could set as cheapie everyday studs, and even then I wouldn''t characterize them as better than "adequate."

So I guess the best I can give you, overall, is a qualified "meh"-type recommendation. I wasn''t displeased with my buying experience. The transaction was smooth and their shipping is extremely fast. I liked the stones enough to keep them despite the inclusion on one. But I''m not exactly rushing back to buy more, either, and I wouldn''t put them on the top tier of vendors who have thrilled me.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
I bought a CHEAPY ametrine from them. Cheap as in like 6 bucks! I haven''t received it yet though. I will say that I suspect their quality isn''t that good. Just a feeling that I had. I have wanted to see an ametrine and have one to play with. So I figured I could blow $6. We''ll see. I don''t have high expectations for that price obviously.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I was wondering if they''re quality was lower since their prices were so good. I guess I was right.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oddoneout,
Sadly, no one is going to sell at a loss if they know the true value of an item. As the saying goes, if it’s too good to be true…

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
you came to the right place..the ladies on here pretty much know just about everything on most reputable vendors..all I know is if you ever are looking for a place to purchase a stone just ask the folks on here and you will get the skinney onwhats good and whats not as good..first-hand experience is the best experience

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
very helpful! thanks!!

exturkconner

Rough_Rock
I did pretty well on the spessarite I purchased through them. You can take a look at what I had to say in my ering thread.

Seems some of the things people have said just don''t jive to me. I mean you really think they edited photos for a 30 dollar stone? I mean what do you think thier profit margin is? I''d imagine it''s 10 dollars...so if someone spends half an hour editing a photo you think they''d consider that a win? Just seems unlikely to me. Common sense wise.

But I don''t know I suppose anything''s possible. All I can say is that my experience was very posative. I got a very attractive stone and for a very reasonable price point.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I''m not saying they edited their photos. They might just have blasted the stones with light when they took the pictures. But two of the spinels I bought from them were significantly darker in real life than the pictures. Still, they were cheap and I liked them enough to keep them.

Another spinel had basically no crown. It was almost completely flat on top. The photo did not show that. I returned it. I think I returned something else, too--I forget what.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So Gem Select is not Gem line a Litnon company...am I right?

Gem Line is OK to buy from?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/18/2009 3:59:18 PM
Author: Stone Hunter
So Gem Select is not Gem line a Litnon company...am I right?

Gem Line is OK to buy from?
Yes, the 2 are different companies. My opinion is that Gem Line has better goods, but as usual, I look at individual stones.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
THANKS. Gem Select must be the one I deleted from my Favorites list.

The Gem Line had a stone I liked but I found one I liked better -- color wise. So I haven''t bought from them yet.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results