shape
carat
color
clarity

Gem identification kits?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
I have several gem tools from prettyrock and their products are very good and they are just great to deal with. Very responsive and knowlegeable. I was looking at that kit myself. and I am seriously considering GIAs online GG course.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
What is an OPL? Is a prism spectroscope better or easier to use than a diffraction grating one? I know I should be looking for a refractometer...but I''m still fascinated by the spectrum!

Thanks for all the extra sources...got some shopping to do later this week! Guess I also need to monitor ebay more closely.

Laura

tsavvy

Shiny_Rock
It is my understanding that historically prism spectroscopes have been easier to use than diffraction grating spectroscopes, but that the newer diffraction grating spectroscopes are pretty good. The benefits of a prism spectroscope are that some have a scale and that the blue area of the spectrum is more spread out and can be more easily viewed. However, most good prism spectroscopes are significantly more expensive than a the diffraction grating version. OPL makes both a pocket model and table model diffraction grating spectroscope - I think both need a separate light source that does not come with the spectroscope. This prism spectroscope looks like a really good deal, too.

On a separate note, this darkfield loupe also functions as a polariscope which seems really useful if you don''t want to lug a lot of equipment around.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results