shape
carat
color
clarity

Gem Advisor accuracy??? Are you bored?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
using which tool in GA?

Daniel B

Shiny_Rock
Storm-
I dont know which tool- I''m still a newbie when it comes to this GA stuff. All i did was save it from the virtual model on the link i gave you, then open the GA and and retrieve the saved virtual model from a folder, and press the green play button. I set both stones in a white background, and the office (standard lighting). Hope this made sense.

Daniel B

Shiny_Rock
Hmmm, i wonder why when both of them rock back and forth the second one looks so much better and throws off more twinkles of light??
33.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
second has more consitant pavilion angles and the difference in the extent of the girdle painting.
I supect its the girdle painting thats making the difference in GA.
Im recalling Garry saying there was a problem there with how its handled?

Daniel B

Shiny_Rock
17.gif

Thats not a halo, thats what you just said going right over it.
Consistant pavillion angles? Girdle painting? Please Storm, laymens.
9.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/26/2005 9:18:45 PM
Author:Daniel B

How true to life is the Gem Advisor?

IHMO, the models are a nice 'short hand' version of reality and just abstract enough to be better suitable for technical reading than aestetic appreciation. Looking at GA models does not replace looking at diamonds, yet.

You could say it is too revealing - I'd never see that sort of detail on a 5-6mm object as I can on a 5cm picture. The limited number of colors used makes fire shows weirdly and ... overall it is not like you could be picking those diamonds off the screen.

The light environment is manageable, but can only mimic highly controlled real-life situations. E.g. this picture from GOG could be matched closely by a model - but OMG, where other than their photography setting can you see diamonds like that?

pic1.jpg

These limitations (colors, depth...) make the models of IdealSCope and Asset allot closer to nature than the 'normal light' images from GA. It is actually quite impressive for me how well these match.
1.gif

After a bit of using GemAdviser and Diam Calc... as an amateur, I would describe the GA is a great analytic & research tool. Not realistic enough to be used leisurely and truly 'played' with, great to understand the techie talk on this forum and elsewhere.

Your trying to compare diamonds using GA models is the application I'd wish the GA could be good for, but for now... it appears to be really stretching what the program can do.

Anyway, I love the thing as a easy way to check my weird ideas about what one or another detail of a gem's cut does to the whole. It is hugely more comfortable & faster way than working out optics. Until those images get better, the GA display remains closer to an abstract model than the object it shows. Hopefully I will not get too old before this changes
5.gif

My 0.2

Btw: if you want, you can search the techie words used by Strm around the forum. Since they are not too often mentioned, there is a good chance that you will find just the right threads about them fast. But... I don't think you need that to go shopping.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

''Bet it could be better.

Shouldbebetter.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2005 1:56:16 AM
Author: Daniel B
17.gif

Thats not a halo, thats what you just said going right over it.

Consistant pavillion angles? Girdle painting? Please Storm, laymens.
9.gif

girdle painting:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/girdle-treatments-cheated-girdles-tweaked-girdles-digging-painting.36102/

consitant pavilion angles, check the helium files and look at each of the pavilion angles listed, the second has a smaller range of values.

GA aset and ideal scope are pretty accurate, for rounds the photorealistic images will give you an idea of the peformance but thats about it. It can be used to show problems in the cut but can also over show them.
For fancy cuts they arent as close nor as useful.

Daniel B

Shiny_Rock
Got it! Thanks for the input Val and storm
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results