shape
carat
color
clarity

Geeky Question...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
What diamond cleaning "toys" should I take on our cruise??! Space is VERY limited and of course I would LOVE to take my ultrasonic and my Jet steamer... (heehee!) but that''s probably not reasonable! (Although the US is awfully SMALL.... !)
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

But I also want my rings to sparkle across the ship!

SOOO... what would you take to keep your rings squeaky clean?!

Lynn

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would take the UC for sure. I am going away in March and am taking mine!!!
9.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Lynn,

If I could only take one, I'd take my JewelJet over the ultrasonic (no offense Kaleigh), but I'm willing to bet that if you clean your rings really well before you go and you take a nice clean jewelry cleaning solution and a soft bristled toothbrush, your bling will stay blingier than just about any other ladies bling on the ship. Plus, any good ship has a jewelry store on the promenade deck and I'll bet they would be very happy to clean your rings during the cruise for you for free. All you have to do is act like they've got something that interests you.........LOL

Bon Voyage and don't gain too much weight at the midnight buffet!
31.gif

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
Gee how often do diamonds need a bath?

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Haha, thanks Lisa and Rod!

The US REALLY tempts me... but then there's also the question of what to pack to USE in it!!! I think DH would FLIP if I took my Jewel Jet steamer (because he is carrying my mask and fins and snorkle for me!) I *think* I may have to just take a small bottle of cleaning solution and a soft toothbrush like Rod suggested. (Great idea about getting them cleaned on board, BTW!
2.gif
)

There is SO much to pack (it is a 12 day cruise) -- and clothes and shoes for those the formal nights takes up A DANG LOT of space! PLUS DH and I are only taking one suitcase a piece, and each one can't weight more than 50 pounds! I may not have room for UNDERWEAR, and here I am trying to squeeze in my US!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
haha!

ETA: Kimberly, you silly, silly girl!
2.gif
Diamonds need cleaned at least ONCE every day!!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I said that cause I have no idea how big or heavy the jewel jet steamer is. Before my UC I always traveled with a small bottle of spray cleaner and a special toothbrush. But now am spoiled by my UC. Good advice Rod!!
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Typically for a short trip I clean them in the US like 4 times and then take my cleaner and a soft brush with me and scrub them daily BUT I totally notice that they are not as clean 2-3 days later as when I am at home US''ing them daily. So I''d say TAKE THE US if you can fit it in!!! But yeah I know about hubbies who complain about you giving them extra items for their suitcases...tee hee!!! The nerve!
9.gif
31.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just remember that you will packe enough clothes to last far longer than 12 days, but you will only wear 1/10 of what you packed. We went for a measly 5 day cruise, but you would have thought we were moving on the ship. You know, three changes of clothes a day, but once we realized we:

1. Didn''t care if we impressed everyone with our fabulous wardrobe - and -

2. Didn''t care if we were seen wearing something twice, no three times, alright, so we wore the same t-shirt to breakfast every morning.........(LOL)

We could have taken so much less crap with us. Come to think of it, next time we take a cruise, I''m packing much less clothes and taking my JewelJet with me. Then I''ll set up shop on the pool deck where all the ladies are constantly slathering suntan lotions on their diamonds and I''ll offer to clean rings for a modest fee.......LOL

You enjoy that cruise and may your bling outbling every person on that ship.
35.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2006 9:57:46 PM
Author: Rod
Come to think of it, next time we take a cruise, I''m packing much less clothes and taking my JewelJet with me. Then I''ll set up shop on the pool deck where all the ladies are constantly slathering suntan lotions on their diamonds and I''ll offer to clean rings for a modest fee.......LOL

LOL! Whatta great idea - I could supplement my income while I''m on vacation! Maybe I''ll earn enough to buy... you guessed it! Another BAUBLE!!!
31.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I say bring spray and brush cleaner. I say this because you might squish your cup on your cleaner and then need to buy a whole new unit!

Momoftwo

Brilliant_Rock
An inexpensive clarifying shampoo will clean your jewelry just fine. That''s what I used on our 4 day cruise last fall and plan on doing the same on our 7 day later this year. Just use an old toothbrush and rinse well. My SI US is staying home where it won''t be tossed around in luggage.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2006 9:38:31 PM
Author: Kimberly
Gee how often do diamonds need a bath?
more than i do
9.gif
nothing worst than DD.
14.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
You guys are kinda scaring me with all this cleaning talk ...
2.gif
23.gif
. U.C. on a cruise? How dirty are ya''lls rings getting? Are they eternity bands with lots of teeny nooks & crannies? Is it just the prong set stuff?

Maybe its ''cause my e-ring is relatively new but it looks perfect and I NEVER clean it ... just wash my hands & stuff with it on -- and it''s a step cut so it should show smudges but I seriously just wipe off the table with my shirt or something and it''s a-ok. Maybe I have bad eyesight!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
HAHA DECO you just THINK it looks clean.

seriously i thought mine looked clean too. i cleaned it daily with cleanser and a small brush. no smudges on it, i always wiped it on my pants or similar to keep the table clean.

then i got my US.

and 3 cleaning cycles later i was like holy crap my ring was filthy!!

of course even filthy it still looks awesome because of the cut and the style and all that, lots of melee make for sparkles regardless of how clean or dirty it is...

but seriously i had an eye opening moment then.

converted!
2.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2006 12:55:42 AM
Author: Mara
HAHA DECO you just THINK it looks clean.

Could be!

When you say you realized 3 cycles later that it was filthy do you mean like seeing dirt or residue in the cleaning device (evidence of filth) or ... just the ring was so noticeably different in appearance?

I''m really curious. Since my sidestones are channel-set bags & pave teeny rounds, I didn''t think much could get back there & muck things up. The center stone is very exposed & seems to sparkle after every hand wash ... I can''t imagine what could build up on that, cause it''s so OUT THERE.

What am i missing, Mara? Do I have to spend the $$ & try it out to believe??

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
The ring was seriously different looking in appearance is what I mean....

I really DO see a difference in how clean my ring looks and how it sparkles after the US and even for up to a day after.

I do think that lots of little things can stuff themselves between melee or small stones, even if they are tightly set. I don''t know if we realize how much stuff gets on our rings during the day...!

I notice that I can get my table and top of my stone pretty clean by hand but the pavilion and the little tiny bits and crannies need the US.

SquareCut

Shiny_Rock
I use an ultrasonic toothbrush with a small brush head to clean my rings. It works well. Anyone else ever try this?

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Now i dont have any of the fun toys you all have for cleaning, just a jar of cleaner which leaks if it isnt kept just so. Not very good for traveling. I read on here somewhere before our honeymoon to use toothpaste. Some hot water and a good scrub... my rings looked fresh from the jeweler.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2006 1:37:22 PM
Author: njc
I read on here ... to use toothpaste. Some hot water and a good scrub... my rings looked fresh from the jeweler.

I guess that could work in a pinch. Haha, DH better make sure he doesn''t irritate me on the trip, or I''ll use HIS toothbrush to do it!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be careful with toothpaste as a cleaner. Toothpaste is pretty abrasive and can scratch the metal of your ring. It won''t hurt your stones though.........

Pixie

Rough_Rock
Okay, this is a bit of a yucky story, but I thought I would post my experience with cleaning since it seemed appropriate in this discussion.

I was engaged in September 2000 and my hubby and I bought the ring together shortly thereafter. I used to get it cleaned every so often at a jeweler we liked to go to every time I got a new bauble, which wasn''t very often, but much more often than now. We haven''t bought any jewelry in years, so I don''t think I''ve had it cleaned professionally for 3 or 4 years, and I never thought my ring looked dirty. I only wear it during the day when I''m out, and I take it off as soon as I get home. The only time it''s touching water is when I wash my hands because I''m afraid to forget it in a public restroom. A couple of years ago when I was pregnant with my son, I started getting this allergic reaction around my ring finger. I thought it was a hormonal thing. It kept recurring every so often, it was very itchy and would swell, and then I thought I was allergic to platinum!
6.gif
I read all about metal allergies, and I was so depressed since I loved wearing my diamonds! I stopped wearing my rings regularly because of the allergy. I just put it on for special occasions. My MIL said that I should try putting clear nail polish on the inside of the ring and it helped, but I still got the allergic reactions occasionally.

My husband and I have been together now for 10 years, so a few months ago, he told me he was going to get me a 10 year anniversary ring. I was so hoping that I wouldn''t be allergic to this new one. I went to a jeweler to see some diamonds and my husband asked to see my engagement ring with the loupe to compare. I knew my ring hadn''t been cleaned in ages and my husband said that looking through the loupe, my ring was really nasty. I still didn''t think much of it because my ring still seemed pretty to me, but I started lurking on pricescope and decided to buy an ultrasonic. When I put it in, I didn''t realize that my ring was THAT dirty, but there was sooooooo much gunk in the crevices and I was totally disgusted! I had no idea! I had to use a toothbrush and a little needle thing to gently clean out all the crevices. It didn''t help that I also had to undo the nail polish that had sealed in the gunk. Anyway, after cleaning the rings with all the little tools and using the ultrasonic 25 times, the rings looked spectacular! I was amazed at the difference. My friends at work even noticed the difference and said my rings were so sparkly. The finale of the story is that the allergic reactions have gone away completely. What scares me so much is what was caked on my ring that caused the allergic reactions?!!
23.gif
I have learned my lesson! Now I''m using my US at least once a week. (My 21 month old also loves to help me turn it on and off and see the flourescent blue light, so he''s also helping to remind me to use it since there is just not enough time in the day to do everything!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results