shape
carat
color
clarity

Garnets!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, if the jeweler who is making my pendant sends me the photographs by Monday I shall post a pendant with a true Namibian spessartite in it. I think I have posted it before but have no time to search for the link. But the pendant should be spectacular if he captures the orangey-orange of it.

Yes, I have but I can not copy links from this forum on my home computer (why? mystery. It works at two of my work computers).

Ii is in my posting of 1/12/10 - "any ideas about setting?" - photographs of Namibian spess.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the links Ma Re! They are both beautiful, and work in my budget as well. I need to do a little more scoping around on Multicolour.

Chrono, I think you''re right. They don''t sing to me either. I like them, especially the demantoid and the spess, but not one of them jumps out at me as being spectacularly better than the others.

Crasru, I would love to see your spessartite! I like the idea of having an pure (or pure-ish) orange gem; they don''t seem to be common in any species except sunstone. I tend to lean towards yellow modifiers more than red modifiers.

Colormyworld, thank you so much for the link and the suggestion! I am seriously considering a color change garnet now. The blue to pink color change is really quite strong.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations!

To give you some idea, the stone in my avatar is a spessartite.
There are pictures of my demantoid on this thread: https://www.pricescope.com/forum/op-requested/demantoid-much-better-pictures-t134970.html
Lastly, here's my tsavorite ring: https://www.pricescope.com/forum/op-requested/my-tsavorite-ring-t86457.html

ma re

Ideal_Rock
There is one other stone where vivid, pure (or very close to it) orange can be found at a reasonable price and that''s fire opal. Just don''t have it set into a ring (but it''s more than OK for pendants, brooches, earrings...).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2010 2:59:54 AM
Author: ma re
There is one other stone where vivid, pure (or very close to it) orange can be found at a reasonable price and that's fire opal. Just don't have it set into a ring (but it's more than OK for pendants, brooches, earrings...).
Yes, and not much sparkle either, although the one I saw at the Field Museum was beautiful.

Picture this color in a sparkly gem, and you have Fanta orange spessartite. Yum!

grainger_fireopal.JPG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cool pendant TL! Hmm..you know, I think I actually that better than most faceted spess garnets I see.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
If you think you might like a cabochon, Rick has this orange pretty for sale at ArtCutGems. Link

A bright color which would be noticed.
3.gif

Hope you win that Fulbright!!
36.gif

DCab20266S.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Swala recently listed a samll .62 ct tsav for 186$. Budget friendly, but still a lovely color it seems. I''ve been quite impressed with the tsavs that people here have been getting from them.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Harriet, thank you! Yours is a true collection of fine garnets. I love the "IRL" pictures of your tsav in that thread. Do you have a favorite amongst them?

Ma Re and TL, I will have to look into fire opals. The fire opal you posted is far prettier than any of the opals I have ever seen in person.

Fly Girl, thank you for well wishes! That spess is gorgeous, and I do love cabs. Perhaps a cab with a diamond halo?
18.gif

MTG, thanks for the heads up! I''ve been keeping an eye on Swala''s tsavorites. They seem to be going fast! Under $200 is an excellent price. I''m off to check them out!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, IndyLady. Nope, no favourite. I like the Mexican opals you''ve been suggested.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2010 9:34:55 PM
Author: IndyLady
Harriet, thank you! Yours is a true collection of fine garnets. I love the ''IRL'' pictures of your tsav in that thread. Do you have a favorite amongst them?

Ma Re and TL, I will have to look into fire opals. The fire opal you posted is far prettier than any of the opals I have ever seen in person.

Fly Girl, thank you for well wishes! That spess is gorgeous, and I do love cabs. Perhaps a cab with a diamond halo?
18.gif

MTG, thanks for the heads up! I''ve been keeping an eye on Swala''s tsavorites. They seem to be going fast! Under $200 is an excellent price. I''m off to check them out!
if there is a god, please let him/her prove it by not allowing that lovely cab to be haloed! sorry........
face24.gif

mz

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2010 11:12:03 PM
Author: movie zombie

Date: 2/7/2010 9:34:55 PM
Author: IndyLady
Harriet, thank you! Yours is a true collection of fine garnets. I love the ''IRL'' pictures of your tsav in that thread. Do you have a favorite amongst them?

18.gif

if there is a god, please let him/her prove it by not allowing that lovely cab to be haloed! sorry........
face24.gif

mz
Agree. Cabochons look best in a simple gold setting or (if anyone opts for unusual) in an "aura" type-setting, I shall post it (hopefully) this week as soon as I get the package.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Crasru, your spess in the aura type setting is so beautiful! I think my mind has been made it, spessartite it is!

MZ, wouldn''t it be striking to have a cab in a diamond halo?

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
Good luck & enjoy finding your dream spess (?)

Congratulations on being a finalist for the Fulbright - hope you get the scholarship!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That Dematoid looks very nice. But it is too small for you. And it seems difficult to get the right green. So I''d go with the Spess. The links from PSers have some nice Spess in them.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results