shape
carat
color
clarity

Garnets comments please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Hi all

Here're my two pairs of demantoid garnets. I have to say I like the smaller pair more, the bigger pair seem a bit dark with some dark patches. Comments are appreciated.

IMG_1195 (520x390).jpg

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for sharing these photos with us. Both sets are very very nice.
9.gif

I too prefer the smaller pair since I prefer that color. What mm size are they?

What are your plans for them?

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
They all look great but I also like the smaller and lighter stones. Larger pair makes me wonder how they''ll look indoors or in lower light, if they''ll look even darker. Nice stones regardless! Are you still working on the 5 stone ring?

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/21/2009 9:12:40 PM
Author: Stone Hunter
Thank you for sharing these photos with us. Both sets are very very nice.
9.gif

I too prefer the smaller pair since I prefer that color. What mm size are they?

What are your plans for them?
Thanks SH, I''m planning a 5 stone ring. The larger pair is 5.2mm. Smaller 2 - 4.6mm and 4.7mm

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I actually prefer the color of the darker ones (less yellow), and they seem to be brighter when exposed to more light as opposed to the first pic. A prong setting would show them off well.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/21/2009 10:15:33 PM
Author: Babyblue033
They all look great but I also like the smaller and lighter stones. Larger pair makes me wonder how they''ll look indoors or in lower light, if they''ll look even darker. Nice stones regardless! Are you still working on the 5 stone ring?
Hi BB

Yes I''m still working on the 5 stone ring, although now I have the larger stone I can see it''s a fair bit darker. I haven''t purchase the smallest pair yet, they will be as dark as the large stone, do you think some variation in tones still look good.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/21/2009 10:22:45 PM
Author: jstarfireb
I actually prefer the color of the darker ones (less yellow), and they seem to be brighter when exposed to more light as opposed to the first pic. A prong setting would show them off well.
Thanks for the prongs advice jstarfireb, yes the larger pair probably has the more desirable body colour, but the smaller pair is still visible ( a little glowy) in really low lightings.

Regarding the larger pair, I have been staring at them for hours last night, going from I like them to I'm not sure that I like them. I concluded one look better than the other.

I might as well post pics of my Barry spinels taken by DH over the weekend.
9.gif

Here're my smaller demantoid garnets with my lavender pink spinel.

IMG_1168 (520x390).jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
2 Spinels together.

IMG_1179 (520x390).jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Group shot.

IMG_1181 (520x390).jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Yowza, what a rainbow! Awesome collection.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
nice rainbow collection! Are you going to set them or just like having them loose?

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/22/2009 12:12:07 AM
Author: Sarahbear621
nice rainbow collection! Are you going to set them or just like having them loose?
SB I have plans for almost all of the stones, I have set one with Sally at HeartWaterJewels and a malaya garnet is with another Etsy seller. I''m buying stones quicker than I can set them.

And thanks again jstar!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful stones. I like the smaller ones in the box, but in the they all look stunning to me.

I love the group shot :)

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Larger ones look very nice as they''re loose, but it''s questionable how dark they''d get after being set (especially bezeled). Smaller ones are a bit yellowish and lighter, but they''d probably give you more design freedom in terms of keeping the color nice. They might even turn less yellow once they''re set into white metal, and they''ll surely darken after setting, just like any other stone.

P. S. Variation in color of stones in the same piece? I don''t see why not. In fact, some of the most interesting pieces I''ve seen (like the pendant on the 4th photo from above HERE), had that and looked great.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Thank you LFC.

Mr MaRe I decided on a classic 5 stone ring, I hope settting them in prongs will minimise darkening.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s a bit of a trade off: the larger ones look a purer green although a wee bit dark while the lighter and brighter pair show a hint of yellow undertone. Prong setting is a good choice and I guess you are fine with the difference in colour?

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/21/2009 8:34:35 PM
Author:Lovinggems
Hi all

Here''re my two pairs of demantoid garnets. I have to say I like the smaller pair more, the bigger pair seem a bit dark with some dark patches. Comments are appreciated.
here is what i did with my demi''s- ur small stones reflect light a little better than the larger stones-the color shows better two-u have good examples...

s1a.JPG

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I like the darker ones as well. They seem to be a rich forest green that pleases me.

The green and purple combination is beautiful and I would seriously consider setting them that way for a RHR.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What other stones will be in this 5 stone ring? Both sets of Garnets?

LOVE the group shot. WOW really need the drooling smile! WHAT is the stone all the way to the right???

Date: 9/21/2009 10:44:03 PM
Author: Lovinggems
Group shot.

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
They''re all beautiful (and I love your collection!). I agree that the body color of the larger stones seems a purer green, but on the whole I prefer the glow of the smaller pair. It looks like there''s a hint of yellow to me, but IMO it just adds to their liveliness.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
I like the larger ones..being dems they should both sparkle the same in whatever lighting..the glow is a funtion of the color being slighly yellowish and easier to see with the eye..ie.brighter..both should attract the eye from across the room

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/22/2009 8:10:22 AM
Author: Chrono
It’s a bit of a trade off: the larger ones look a purer green although a wee bit dark while the lighter and brighter pair show a hint of yellow undertone. Prong setting is a good choice and I guess you are fine with the difference in colour?
Yes it is a trade off, they are very difficult to find without breaking the kitty bank (I ask for some quotes on Palagem garnets and they''re very pricey) so I don''t mind the difference in colour too much, in fact, having the brighter pair in the middle I think will make the ring more interesting.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Thanks m76steve, I like your pendant and my favourite stones in the pendant is the center and left bottom stones.
Date: 9/22/2009 9:08:48 AM
Author: m76steve

Date: 9/21/2009 8:34:35 PM
Author:Lovinggems
Hi all

Here''re my two pairs of demantoid garnets. I have to say I like the smaller pair more, the bigger pair seem a bit dark with some dark patches. Comments are appreciated.
here is what i did with my demi''s- ur small stones reflect light a little better than the larger stones-the color shows better two-u have good examples...

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/22/2009 9:17:08 AM
Author: Lady_Disdain
I like the darker ones as well. They seem to be a rich forest green that pleases me.

The green and purple combination is beautiful and I would seriously consider setting them that way for a RHR.
LD that thought passed my mind too, that's way I took a photo of this combo. Maybe I'll try some tsavs in a similar colour to match the lavender spinel.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results