shape
carat
color
clarity

Garnet price?

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
I found an antique ring that I LOVE! The center is a 2.4 ct garnet. My instinct tells me it’s way overpriced. What would be an appropriate price per carat for a garnet? It’s a brownish pink color. No info on origin- just that it’s natural.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Garnet is considered a semi precious gem so there’s only small $$ in a garnet gemstone.
What you will be paying for is the gold content, workmanship and desirability.
By this I mean an antique 2.4 garnet set ring might cost you say $300 to $500 and of that $20 will be the actual garnet value, $100 or less the gold value and the rest “age, style and desirability”.
Be cautious, because of the desirability of Victorian garnet jewellery the style has been revived and copied in modern times. Many so called “Victorian” pieces could be virtually brand new and NOT worth the premium.
It’s safest to spend big $$$ only on jewellery that can be dated from its hallmarks.
Also the style called Bohemian Garnet jewellery, with the very dark garnets usually set as clusters, some of these are very modern and besides looking like gold, they are actually only gold fill / plate. Always check for hallmarks.

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Garnet is considered a semi precious gem so there’s only small $$ in a garnet gemstone.
By this I mean an antique 2.4 garnet set ring might cost you say $300 to $500 and of that $20 will be the actual garnet value, $100 or less the gold value and the rest “age, style and desirability”.
Be cautious, because of the desirability of Victorian garnet jewellery the style has been revived and copied in modern times. Many so called “Victorian” pieces could be virtually brand new and NOT worth the premium.
It’s safest to spend big $$$ only on jewellery that can be dated from its hallmarks.
Also the style called Bohemian Garnet jewellery, with the very dark garnets usually set as clusters, some of these are very modern and besides looking like gold, they are actually only gold fill / plate. Always check for hallmarks.

Thank you this is very helpful. The ring is from a big antique jeweler and is $$$

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Red family garnets are affordable. Green garnet is another story.

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock

I have noticed garnet prices going up (for red, pink, green, and peachy), and the moniker “semi-precious” feels less relevant in a world where it covers everything from bargain basement agate to cobalt spinel.

That said, OP do you have a picture of the stone? Generally “brown tones” is seldom associated with super $$$$$ garnets, but it might still be quite pretty.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have noticed garnet prices going up (for red, pink, green, and peachy), and the moniker “semi-precious” feels less relevant in a world where it covers everything from bargain basement agate to cobalt spinel.

That said, OP do you have a picture of the stone? Generally “brown tones” is seldom associated with super $$$$$ garnets, but it might still be quite pretty.

Of course some varieties / colours of garnet are both rare and very expensive.
The OP indicated “brownish red” so it’s probably Almandine garnet and at 2.4 carats it’s value alone as a gem isn’t all that much. I don’t know how much the ring is but I was just trying to highlight that not much of the cost will relate to the garnet gemstone.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Of course some varieties / colours of garnet are both rare and very expensive.
The OP indicated “brownish red” so it’s probably Almandine garnet and at 2.4 carats it’s value alone as a gem isn’t all that much. I don’t know how much the ring is but I was just trying to highlight that not much of the cost will relate to the garnet gemstone.

OP actually said “brownish pink” so I am wondering if it could be a malaia garnet, but yes, without seeing it we have no idea what type of garnet it is.

I would pay what I think the setting is worth (type of gold, whether there are any diamonds and so on) and not attach too much value to it being an antique.

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you everyone for your input. I contacted the seller and asked if they have anymore information on the garnet. It looks like it could be a malaia garnet. If that’s the case I might swoop it up. I won’t post a picture unless I have it on hold.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Double check the return policy and return window period before you pull the trigger.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you everyone for your input. I contacted the seller and asked if they have anymore information on the garnet. It looks like it could be a malaia garnet. If that’s the case I might swoop it up. I won’t post a picture unless I have it on hold.
It sounds like you really love it, and to me, that’s enough reason to go for it. Maybe try making an offer and hoping the seller accepts!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you asked the vendor about color shift?
it could go from the brown pink (peach?) you like to a very purple/mauve color in artificial lighting
- if that matters to you.

landscape

Shiny_Rock
Garnets are not all cheap. If the brown-pink you mentioned like my posted, they are color-change malaya garnets and the price will be very high. DSC_2934a.jpg DSC_2937a.jpg DSC_2974a.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results