shape
carat
color
clarity

Garnet bead & pearl necklace with braided hair clasp (Mourning jewelry)

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
My mom bought this Victorian double strand garnet and pearl necklace with braided blonde hair in the clasp in the early 1990s. Just wanted to share it here. I’ve done some research online on mourning jewelry, and I’ve mostly seen the hair in pendants or brooches, I haven’t come across a necklace like this one with the clasp. I had a local jewelry repair shop check it out, they said the metal was 8 or 9 kt gold. It looks rosy. I might list it someday as I never wear it. Though it’s incredibly flattering on and maybe one day it will be my style. If anyone has anything to add, please do!

9A170DF0-3DBF-4514-AD5E-B57E568DA18D.jpeg
5D9E5239-96B7-4560-91AE-EBD8A1ACD05B.jpeg 1E97CB69-4FCF-4ECD-BE5E-A9559088E582.jpeg 893715C5-3027-4BFA-A92F-A70CC1613E30.jpeg

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like how the seed pearls turn blue from the metal around them.

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
I like how the seed pearls turn blue from the metal around them.

They are so pretty. So the metal causes the color change?

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
They are so pretty. So the metal causes the color change?

I'm not an expert but I'm willing to bet it is. I've often seen this many times with antique/vintage jewellery and seems more obvious when the metal is lower carat.

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock
I had no idea “mourning” jewelry like this existed. I bought a ring to wear to replace my wedding set that I called my widow’s ring. But this is so emotionally and sentimentally special. Wow!

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
Isn't it? I only knew of it thanks to my mom buying this necklace and her love of antiques. From what I've read, hairwork in jewelry dates further back than the Victorian era, and it wasn't always for the purpose of mourning jewelry (that was popularized by Victorians)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think its sad its left it's family
that no one in the family cared enough to treasure little Sally or Violet or who ever the necklace was in rememberance of

I really love the length
Its a gorgouse piece

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
I think its sad its left it's family
that no one in the family cared enough to treasure little Sally or Violet or who ever the necklace was in rememberance of

I really love the length
Its a gorgouse piece

I know, so sad. Maybe there was nobody left to pass it on to or the owner forgot to share with others who it was in remembrance of and its importance.

It is a nice length, quite flattering. I’ll have to try to get a modeling photo to show it in perspective

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know, so sad. Maybe there was nobody left to pass it on to or the owner forgot to share with others who it was in remembrance of and its importance.

It is a nice length, quite flattering. I’ll have to try to get a modeling photo to show it in perspective

That length is so useful
I look forward to the picture

MiniMinerva

Shiny_Rock

It is so pretty! I would love to see a picture sometime too!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results