shape
carat
color
clarity

Fun Jobs?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
As I was thinking for the billionth time already this school year that I HATE my job...does anyone out there have a job that they actually LOVE? What do you think would be the most fun (real) job ever?

I have a friend who types closed captions for tv shows. I always thought this would be the best job, but just recently she''s had to watch/type captions for hours of shows that she''s hated, so I guess every job has its downsides.
4.gif

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Every job definitely has its downsides!

I have friend who''s an actor, and while he gets a steady stream of work, it''s not really enough to pay the bills. But he''s also the world''s BIGGEST baseball fan, so he got a sidejob as the announcer for a Triple A team (that''s the level below MLB, right?). So, he''s the guy who gets to say ''And nowwwww, batting third for the Anytown Whosinwhatsuts, number 27, the catcher.... JOOOOOE BLOOOOOOW!''

He loves it. Plus he gets to see every game free.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can't believe we both started our job threads at almost the same time! They compliment each other well, actually.

I love my job, but I was mentioning in the other thread that the hours get to me sometimes. I think it's definitely true that there are always fallbacks to any job.

My friend is a personal assistant and loves it, but you REALLY have to have the right employer. I was a nanny for awhile and loved that, but again, gotta have the right employer or it can be HELL.

Do you have a "dream job"? Something you've wanted to do since you were a kid? That's always a good place to start looking for ideas.

ETA: I think the trick, for most people, is to find a job that gives you the freedom to do the other things you love. My brother is a programmer at Microsoft, which he doesn't necessarily love but it's easy for him. He gets everything done without having to stress too much, then when he comes home he can leave work at work and do the things he actually loves (hiking, martial arts, playing with his cats, haha).

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
I love my job! My training is in marine biology, and up until recently I worked in a lab studying microscopic plants (phytoplankton). I got to go on a lot of research cruises including one to Antarctica. Now, I work for a different organization, and my job is more computer/data analysis oriented and less field work. Basically I get paid to make maps and play with Google Earth all day.

Of course, I'll never be making the big bucks doing this, and it required a lot of schooling and the subsequent debt, but I finally feel like I'm in a position to actually develop a real career. And the more technical skills I acquire, the further I can go.

ETA: After reading Musey's ETA, I want to strongly agree with her. The other trick is to incorporate what you love (for me, the ocean) into your career.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think my job is pretty fun! I''m a buyer for a clothing boutique so I pick out all the clothes, denim, shoes and accessories we get for the store. We carry all the premium denim brands (Seven, Humanity, True Religion, etc.) for men and women as well as clothing, shoes and accessories for men and women. So I go to different trade shows (usually they''re in NYC, LA and Las Vegas) and showrooms every couple of months and see the next season''s merchandise so I can write orders for what I want.

Lots of people don''t realize it, but buying can be very numbers based because you have to figure out how much inventory to carry, the stock to sale ratio, open to buy, etc. Luckily, the owner is the numbers guy so I usually just pick whatever I want using the open to buy he gives me. I love clothes, shoes and jeans but I''ve been doing this for about 3 years now so the novelty has definitely worn off. I do get kind of sick of traveling so often and sometimes I just don''t feel like figuring out which dark wash of a bootcut Humanity I want to bring in. But I think that''s the case for all jobs.

Right now we''re working on bringing in new and higher end clothing lines so I''m excited about that because I tend to like more contemporary designers and we carry stuff that''s more on the end of young contemporary.

The main problem with my job is that it''s completely dead end-the hierarchy is basically the owner and then me, so I''m probably going to have to figure out something else to do after I graduate college in about a year. I don''t know if I want to move to NYC and continue to pursue the fashion thing or what...I''m trying to figure that out right now.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thing2of2, you can always use your buying experience to get into other planning/merchandising/buying jobs out there with larger companies, so even though you''re in sort of a dead-end position currently you are gaining very valuable experience!

I''ve always thought a fun job would be personal shopping, or being a stylist, or similar.

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
I had a job that I loved, but was recently laid off and am now going through the long and grueling process again -- I did pharmaceutical sales and i just love building relationships with people and promoting products that really help people. Plus I loved that you basically "own" your territory and the responsibility of the sales in the territory and I loved the freedom.

Hopefully I can get back into it. The competition is so fierce that even with a BS and MS in science, and lots of great experience, but only 4 months in specific pharma sales, and an interview process that usually consists of 3-5 interviews per job, I''m starting to get frustrated...

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Costume or set designer on a hot show, or make up artist for it.

Mattress tester.

Working in r and d in a high end cosmetics company.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I just started my first full time job just a week ago for a non profit, and that is a lot of fun for me because I like knowing that I work for someone who helps the community. HOWEVER, it isn''t my dream job, as much as I do like it. I have always wanted to find a way to get my artistic side out there, and have always wanted to start my own business. I mean.. since I was just a little kid, haha. So that really is my DREAM dream... to be able to have a little shop where I can do all my art stuff, start my environmental newsletter, and just work my butt off at something I love! I figure if I have to work 8 or so hours a day to make a living, I want it to be something that I can''t get enough of!

*M*

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, I''m not sure what I think the most fun job would be. I think it could be the kind of "grass is always greener" situation -- I may find one job fascinating, while someone who has that job may hate it.

I used to work in children''s publishing, in the children''s production department of a major publishing firm in Boston. I loved it at first -- I was around my favorite books by my favorite authors. I coordinated the printing of young adult novels, and I also took requests from companies who wanted to use our images in their publications. We were taken out to lunch or dinner often by vendors (printing companies), so that was a major perk. Vendors hosted parties at swanky hotels in Boston, and we even went on a Boston harbor cruise one night. I got SOOOO many free children''s books while I was there, it was ridiculous. Thank God I kept them though -- I certainly need them for my classroom. I was in my early-mid twenties and I felt like the main character is some of the "chick lit" books I read. For a while, it was great! Then the novelty wore off and I realized that I was someone''s assistant and I had no real authority of my own. I ended up realizing that a lot of my job was grunt work. I was always packing or unpacking boxes of books. I delivered books to peopl,e in other departments. I packaged original artwork to be mailed to an illustrator. I learned a lot and I loved it for a time, but then I decided to leave publishing and go into teaching.

I *think* I may have answered the question, but now I''m not sure.
3.gif

Sabine, I would think that typing captions could be kind of fun. I''ve actually wondered how you get that job. So, how do you get that type of position? Is it something one could do on the side, as supplemental income?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2007 9:08:26 PM
Author: diamondfan
Costume or set designer on a hot show, or make up artist for it.

Mattress tester.

Working in r and d in a high end cosmetics company.

My best friend from college is a costume designer--we actually met because we were both costume design majors, but she''s the only one out of the two of us who actually uses that degree! I double majored in costume design and literature, and in the end I decided to be an English teacher instead of a designer.

MY BF loves her job, she''s traveled to a ton of incredible countries because of it (she likes to work with huge traveling shows) but it is a LOT of work. It''s also not fun to be snapped at by actors when they gain weight and blame the designer that the clothes don''t fit! (Happens more than you would think!)

I think Musey is totally right when she says it''s about finding a job you like but also one that allows you to do the other things that are important to you. I opted to become a teacher instead of a designer because I LOVE having my summers off, and I love being a student, and I could do neither as a designer but both as a teacher. It helps that there are few things I''d rather do than sit around and discuss literature. I still plan on becoming a milliner someday, though, that''s the whole reason I studied costume design in the first place . . .

Love this thread.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I''m a full time college student and work in retail. Even though it''s not a "real" job I couldn''t ask for a better job for me. I work at Build-A-Bear Workshop, so I basically joke around with kids and build teddy bears all day. I wanted something low stress and enjoyable. I genuinely look forward to work and look forward to it all week. I love checking my schedule and seeing when I get to be in the store. It works for me since I''m incredibly extroverted and love kids. I basically goof around and play every shift. I dance around and sing...it''s perfect.
36.gif

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
I think my freelance job is pretty fun... I just wish I could do it full time!

I''m a feature writer for a fine jewellery magazine, so I get to interview jewellers about the latest trends, go into stores and look at pretty pieces. No freebies or discounts though
5.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2007 8:47:52 PM
Author: monarch64
Thing2of2, you can always use your buying experience to get into other planning/merchandising/buying jobs out there with larger companies, so even though you''re in sort of a dead-end position currently you are gaining very valuable experience!

I''ve always thought a fun job would be personal shopping, or being a stylist, or similar.

Very true, monarch-I''m definitely getting good experience!

I have a good friend who moved to New York City and he''s a stylist. He really likes it, although right now he''s working his way up so he mostly assists other stylists. So he spends a lot of time running around, buying and returning clothes, steaming clothes, etc. However, he definitely has a lot of contact with big stars as well as more up and coming future stars. So of course he loves that part of the job!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/25/2007 10:49:41 PM
Author: thing2of2

Date: 9/25/2007 8:47:52 PM
Author: monarch64

Very true, monarch-I''m definitely getting good experience!

I have a good friend who moved to New York City and he''s a stylist. He really likes it, although right now he''s working his way up so he mostly assists other stylists. So he spends a lot of time running around, buying and returning clothes, steaming clothes, etc. However, he definitely has a lot of contact with big stars as well as more up and coming future stars. So of course he loves that part of the job!
Sounds kind of like Devil Wears Prada! Oh, how I love that movie...I still watch it almost every time it comes on HBO movie channels, lol! Seriously, though, it''s a great job for a single person...I don''t know how a spouse or sig. other would put up with such crazy hours and not-so-fabulous pay in the beginning. I guess it would be a little like being with a doc or lawyer when they are first starting out in that respect.

happilyeverafter

Shiny_Rock
I''m in marketing, and although I loved it at first i''m really beginning to tire of it. It may be my specific job tho - it has gone from a marketing job to more of an accounting job, which is definitely NOT me!

I plan to take up my dream job in (crosses fingers) less than 5 years. I am going to be a stay-at-home mom. My Fi and I are living off his income (the smaller of the two) right now and putting mine away on our mortgage each month, so we should be completely debt free in 3.5 years or so. Then a couple years of saving and it''s baby time!!

I think teaching would be awesome too, especially grades 2 & 3! I tried to switch to that a few years back but I didn''t want to go back to school for so long. I"m jealous of all you who are doing it now, I wish!

Sabine

Ideal_Rock

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Dream job.? I would love to own/run a bed & breakfast.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
I''m totally in love with my job. I''m a paralegal for a bankruptcy/family law attorney and I''ve worked for him for a bit more than three years. I prepare petitions, divorce documents, client correspondence, conduct interviews, file things at court and a slew of other things. I wanted to do bankruptcy/family law when I was in college and lucked out with my job. My boss is a younger guy (he''s in his 40''s) and is really easy going. We get along great and that makes my job a lot easier. I work in a downtown office that has a great view and I get to use my "curiosity" (aka nosiness) for a better cause. Hehehe. I love delving through other peoples financial stuff and try to come up with ways to help them. Most of our clients are nice but we do have some that are sort of odd, but that comes with the territory.

My dream job would be NONE! If I didn''t have to work a traditional job to pay the bills then I''d devote myself to God, my family and my friends. I would use my time and talents to help others and to make a difference in the world - even if it''s a small one.

Jess

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
I'm a full time college student and trying to get a degree in English...

I work part-time as a technical writer for a pipeline company. Basically, I take safety rules and regulations (there are a lot) and dumb them down to an eighth grade reading level. Then I organize it into different topics and put it in a one page spread that is sent by email to hundreds of employees.

It's fun because I get to be creative and say I'm published somewhere. It sucks because I'm sure most of those employees just delete the emails.
3.gif
Also, since I'm not exactly a master of the welding/pipeline/construction/average blue collar fields, I pretty much have to research all of the material and make sure I actually understand it before I attempt to re-write it.

But, I get nights and weekends off, and they allow me to work at home half of the time, so that's good.
Not my dream job at all though.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
SP, my company (publisher in Boston) has several sales rep spots open if you''re interested in trying another area of sales.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
luckystar, you''re in a great place right now. It''s very hard to get technical writing jobs if you don''t ahve any experience with it and there are TONS of jobs out there!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results