shape
carat
color
clarity

Fun bling day...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
FI and I decided to go and see the new 'Vault' at the Natural History Museum - which is their new gemstone bit.

Sadly it was very small, but they did have some lovely pieces - an AMAZING morganite which was a really rich pinky purple colour, a fabulous Chrysoberyl, and an Alex to die for.

They also had the Aurora Diamond collection which was very spectacular (the largest collection in the world of coloured diamonds in every colour possible for diamonds) They are all small but soooo beautiful. They have it in a case where the light goes ultraviolet every other minute and the fluorescence on some of those stones is amazing.)

The rest of the gemmology section is so badly kept - big dusty cases with very poor lighting, it looks like it hasn't been touched in 40 years or so. All the info is hand typed on scrappy bits of paper. Their gemstones were pretty poor examples - the spess. was barely recognisable as one, and they nearly all had massive windows.
38.gif

If they'd been nicer, I might have volunteered to go in and sort their cases out for them - but there was almost nothing fun to play with.
15.gif

They did have a very nice tsav though so that made me a little bit happy!

Anyhow before we went, FI arranged to meet me in Selridges (like your Bloomingdales/Saks 5th), as he had a 20% off voucher. I told him I'd meet him in the bling section!

He was a bit late so I thought I'd go into the Tiffany concession and try on their prong-set wedding bands. The salesman was so nice. I tried on a whole load and was asking carat weights/mm etc and explained my engagement ring was being fixed, so he asked me how many carats my centre stone was, so as to have an idea if I should look at bigger or smaller ones.

So I told him I didn't actually have a diamond but a tsavorite as my centre stone. He literally stopped dead and said - "you have a tsavorite garnet????"

Turned out that he was nuts about tsavs and tanzis, and told me all about the rings he'd designed for his wife. Turned out that his best friend works at Graff so we had a good chat about serious diamonds. As I was leaving he asked me to wait - went off to the back of the shop and came back with a big book on diamonds (not one of the Tiffany ones that they give away - a proper book...) and gave it to me as a gift.
23.gif

Then he gave me his card and asked me if I'd be happy to come back when I have my e-ring as he'd really like to see my tsavorite - said he didn't care if I had no interest in buying a Tiffany anything, he'd just love to see my stone.

He also gave the name of his friend at Graff and told me to go there, tell his friend he'd sent me and that they were to let me play with anything in the store!

So I take it all back about snobby salespeople in Tiffs!
9.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
definitely a fun day! i love seeing gem/mineral collections..... i hope you do go back and show him your e-ring! he obviously enjoyed being able to talk with you regarding color stones.....i''m sure you also made his day: he got to talk color with someone who actually appreciates good color stones!

movie zombie

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds like fun! What a super duper sweet guy; I bet you were happy to have made a gem friend!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow, that''s incredible! How nice was he! What''s the book like?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
It''s a really good diamond guide with clear, simple explanations and diagrams.

I had told him I was doing a lot of e-rings for all our friends (I told Wink I seem to be turning into his UK franchise right now!
31.gif
)

He thought I would find it useful for showing to them to explain the different shapes, colours, clarities, how to read a report (It has examples from AGL, GIA and HRD) and a good section on cut.

It has all the modern shapes - including some of the new ones - and all the old ones too: OMC, OEC, rose, table etc etc

I have books that are a lot more scientific and detailed, but this is exactly what I need to talk people through a basic diamond education without overwhelming them, or having to flip through 5 books to find the page I want.

It really made my day to meet someone so interested in colour-stones - he seemed pretty pleased to talk to someone with an interest beyond the carat size that their FF was about to stick on their finger too!

I will definitely go back and show him my ring.

He was also wanting to know if I''d been to Tucson yet - he''s going next year for the first time, so I told him to be sure to check out Palagems stand if he wanted to see some nice tsavs.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results