shape
carat
color
clarity

Fruit Fly Remedies?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
I really, really dislike fruit flies. Every time I kill one..it seems like 2 more show up.
29.gif
29.gif
Not only are they annoying..but they freak me out ever since I spent nearly a whole semester studying them in freshman year bio.
32.gif
*Shiver* Anyway..does anyone know of a way to get rid of them? I have NO idea where they are coming from. We don''t have any fruit or food out lying around! We live in an apartment..so maybe someone nearby has a serious infestation of them or something. Anyway, any advice would be GREAT!

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Restaurant trick:

Take a glass and put a little bit of apple cider vinegar at the bottom (I know there are other things that you can use too...maybe? Regular vinegar doesn''t work).
Then put a funnel in the glass and tape around the edges (you can make a paper funnel too). The point is for their entrance to be a small hole. The flies will go in the glass for the vinegar and won''t be able to find their way out.

Works like a CHARM.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/9/2008 9:39:17 PM
Author: luckystar112
Restaurant trick:

Take a glass and put a little bit of apple cider vinegar at the bottom (I know there are other things that you can use too...maybe? Regular vinegar doesn''t work).
Then put a funnel in the glass and tape around the edges (you can make a paper funnel too). The point is for their entrance to be a small hole. The flies will go in the glass for the vinegar and won''t be able to find their way out.

Works like a CHARM.
Balsamic vinegar works too with the funnel trick. It really does work! Or, put a squirt of dish soap in a glass, pour balsamic or cider vinegar on top and put it near the flies. They will crawl into the vinegar and the soap will kill them.

Try pouring bleach down the drains at night when you''re done using them and it will kill any eggs in your drains as well. We''ve also started taking out the trash every day and that helps a lot too.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfinished bottle of red wine. You don''t have to use a funnel.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/9/2008 10:07:24 PM
Author: JulieN
I always thought that made things worse, but I guess not! Thanks everyone for the tips...good to know.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much everyone, I will try the first one tomorrow! I am sooo excited about not having these things trying to attack me anymore!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/9/2008 10:13:35 PM
Author: TravelingGal

Date: 9/9/2008 10:07:24 PM
Author: JulieN
I always thought that made things worse, but I guess not! Thanks everyone for the tips...good to know.
I don''t have a fruit fly problem, but sometimes I leave a bottle out, and later I find some of the bugs floating at the top.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I had a problem with them once in my old apartment. Go through all of your trash cans and clean/bleach them. Then really clean out your sink/drain. Do you have a garbage disposal? That is where my problem was coming from. If you do: Try plugging up your sink and filling it with hot water and soap/ baking soda. Un-plug it and turn on your disposal at the same time. This will flush out your disposal and pipes and should help. Good luck with you situation... I know how nasty they can be!!

mobius8

Shiny_Rock
There''s always fly paper strips that you hang up.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We use a non-toxic all natural bug repellant called Orange Guard. I originally bought it on QVC, but now I buy it directly through their company. You can spray it anywhere. It''s completely harmless to people, pets etc., you can even use it indoors around food. Best of all, it works great and smells pretty good.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/10/2008 5:24:42 AM
Author: Tuckins1
I had a problem with them once in my old apartment. Go through all of your trash cans and clean/bleach them. Then really clean out your sink/drain. Do you have a garbage disposal? That is where my problem was coming from. If you do: Try plugging up your sink and filling it with hot water and soap/ baking soda. Un-plug it and turn on your disposal at the same time. This will flush out your disposal and pipes and should help. Good luck with you situation... I know how nasty they can be!!

Ohhh I do, that could be the problem! I will do this this weekend just in case.
5.gif
Thank you!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/10/2008 9:17:09 AM
Author: SarahLovesJS
Date: 9/10/2008 5:24:42 AM

Author: Tuckins1

Ohhh I do, that could be the problem! I will do this this weekend just in case.
5.gif
Thank you!

Welcome!! Hope it works!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results