shape
carat
color
clarity

French Blue and other gems

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have been reading "The French Blue", rather slowly, as I like to take my time with a book. It really has me pumped up for another gem trip myself.

This past weekend, we went down to Washington DC, and of course I had to stop in and have another look. As both the Hope, and the Wittelsbach-Graff were on display, and since the Graff was a recent topic here it was fun.

CentennialEvent.jpg

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have to say, both stones in person, look much more gray than the images. Maybe it''s the lighting, but especially the Wittelsbach-Graff, you really needed to squint, look out the corner of your eye and use your imagination to see much blue. Certainly most any Pricescoper member would have sent the stone back if they bought it looking at picture on the banner.

GraffDiamond.jpg

babydoll_mini

Shiny_Rock
Oh, I''m happy that these legend stones turn out to be ugly in person
31.gif

And what should I say, I confess that I''m reading a vampire novel targeted at teenagers
3.gif

A diamond that size could be poo brown and I''d still take it... well... maaaaaybe ;-)

Blue, I can deal with.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
i love the Hope Diamond. i think its deep oceanic blue is lush and amazing. granted, it''s dark...but so are the depths of the ocean, and that''s what it most reminds me of.

its size doesn''t hurt either.

:)

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Great to see pics like that! The Hope looks fabulous.

I''m about 3/4 way through The French Blue and really enjoying it! It is a book that transports the reader.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was all excited that a PS vendor was able to see the Wittelsbach-Graff up close and personal until I read the disappointing review. Can anyone refresh my memory of the grading of this blue diamond? Is it now a fancy vivid blue? If so, how can it possible be almost totally gray? If it’s so bad looking, what was the point of the recut?
39.gif

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think the lighting they have on it is horrid. My guess is that in shaded daylight it looks much better. Lighting is so important with any stone, but you would think that the museum would have come up with something better.

Tom Gelb

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/8/2010 8:20:50 AM
Author: Chrono
I was all excited that a PS vendor was able to see the Wittelsbach-Graff up close and personal until I read the disappointing review. Can anyone refresh my memory of the grading of this blue diamond? Is it now a fancy vivid blue? If so, how can it possible be almost totally gray? If it’s so bad looking, what was the point of the recut?
39.gif
I am pretty sure that the new grading is Fancy Deep Blue. Before the recut it was graded as Fancy Deep grayish Blue. I also agree that the smithsonian does not have the best lighting for blue diamonds, but they are still very beautiful.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2010 10:33:27 PM
Author: PrecisionGem
Anyways, is everyone else enjoying reading ''The French Blue'' as much as I am?
I was super sad to finish it!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/7/2010 10:31:11 PM
I have to say, both stones in person, look much more gray than the images. Maybe it''s the lighting, but especially the Wittelsbach-Graff, you really needed to squint, look out the corner of your eye and use your imagination to see much blue. Certainly most any Pricescoper member would have sent the stone back if they bought it looking at picture on the banner.
Thanks for the pictures Gene. I''ve been awaiting some pictures from someone visiting the gems. Your last statement cracks me up.
face20.gif
As I''m now infamous for, they both have too much of a grey modifier I take it? LOL!! Laurence Graff should get his money back.

It''s funny that you also talk about bad lighting on the gems. At my recent trip to the Field museum Grainger Gem collection, the lighting was absolutely horrid. They used much better lighting at the "Diamonds" exhibit that is also running at the museum now. That being said, there was a blue diamond there as well, and you also had to use a bit of imagination to see the blue. It reminded me of a washed out aqua in color.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don''t get the lighting. It''s very directional, and very intense, but you just can''t see the stone. All they had to do was reflect the light and soften it. Maybe it''s the typical museum lighting thing.

As far as the stones go, I was much more impressed with the other non diamond stones. How about this blue sapphire! This is the Bismarck Sapphire... a mere 98.6 cts from Burma.

BismarkSapphire.jpg

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2010 8:40:27 PM
I don't get the lighting. It's very directional, and very intense, but you just can't see the stone. All they had to do was reflect the light and soften it. Maybe it's the typical museum lighting thing.

As far as the stones go, I was much more impressed with the other non diamond stones. How about this blue sapphire! This is the Bismarck Sapphire... a mere 98.6 cts from Burma.
Can you cut me one like this, Gene
31.gif
We can co-own it. You source and cut it and I'll wear it. Sounds fair to me
9.gif
I did just finish The French Blue and enjoyed it very much.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't get the lighting. It's very directional, and very intense, but you just can't see the stone. All they had to do was reflect the light and soften it. Maybe it's the typical museum lighting thing.

As far as pure color is concerned, fancy colored diamonds just can't hold a candle to their counterparts in the vivid red, blue, and green gem world. They almost always have some unwanted modifier. I think some vivid canary diamonds look as nice as some vivid yellow stones though. The thing with diamonds isn't so much about color as the amazing dispersive properties they have. When combined with even a little fancy color, it's still a lovely sight to behold. The Whittelsbach-Graff also has that gaping cutlet, which doesn't add to it's appeal IMO. From a size and historical perspective, it's still an incredibly rare stone though.

. . . so where's the rest of your photos from your visit? I want to see some emeralds!!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t get the lighting. It''s very directional, and very intense, but you just can''t see the stone. All they had to do was reflect the light and soften it. Maybe it''s the typical museum lighting thing.

Oh, I am IN LOVE!!!! Speaking of love, I loved "The French Blue." It was so easy to get caught up in the story and stay that way until the very end.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/9/2010 8:21:41 AM
Author: Catmom

Oh, I am IN LOVE!!!! Speaking of love, I loved ''The French Blue.'' It was so easy to get caught up in the story and stay that way until the very end.
Is this book a fictional piece based on non-fiction? I don''t recall how this book reads.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes, it''s based on the factual records of Jean Baptist''s 6 voyages. Richard then added in some fictional events along the way. What''s I found very nice was on the first few pages of the book a list of characters with an * next to those who were historical.

Even for a person not involved with gems, it would be an excellent book to read, but for any of us gem junkies, you will become captivated in it.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like a good story. I am definitely going to have to buy this book.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
How about this blue sapphire! This is the Bismarck Sapphire... a mere 98.6 cts from Burma.

BismarkSapphire.jpg
3.gif
30.gif
37.gif
27.gif
9.gif
18.gif

WAAAAAAAAAAAANT

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/9/2010 6:51:17 PM
Author: Porridge

How about this blue sapphire! This is the Bismarck Sapphire... a mere 98.6 cts from Burma.

BismarkSapphire.jpg
3.gif
30.gif
37.gif
27.gif
9.gif
18.gif

WAAAAAAAAAAAANT
Don''t we all??? LOL! And to those that say they would not want this, I don''t believe you!
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results