shape
carat
color
clarity

Free Sarah Palin: McCain Camp Called Out by CNN Reporter

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/24/2008 1:23:35 PM
Author: EBree

If she''s as intelligent and confident as she claims to be, she''ll have intelligent, confident answers to our questions. But as long as she continues to hide, I''m going to assume she doesn''t have the answers we''re looking for.
What makes you think that press is interested in asking anything that has any bearing on how she will do the job?
Every time I watch a press conference I cringe at the dumb questions reporters ask.
All they want is some ammo to crate fake controversies and sell more advertising.
I say .. Go Mrs. Palin! Keep on giving them fits!

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/24/2008 1:16:35 PM
Author: MoonWater
apples and oranges. someone who has been scrutinized by the media over the course of two years v. someone that came out of the blue and the media isn''t even allowed to scrutinized in a mere two months. not to mention how often obama HAS answered questions and been in uncontrolled enviroments (meet the press anyone? i dare the mcCain camp to allow Palin to go on).

Okay, okay so he has answered questions in uncontrolled conditions. Just couldn''t stand to not get my jab in about his little press conferences.
27.gif
3.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/24/2008 1:36:11 PM

She has an obligation to the people. And until she can visit each of us in person, she''s going to have to speak to the media.
Today''s media is the worst way to get any kind of message out or to talk to the people.
They always have to spin, analyze, and distort it then report what they wanted to hear not what was actually said.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/24/2008 1:37:45 PM
Author: FrekeChild
I''m looking forward to the debates.

Thank you for that link EBree.

And I think it''s safe to say that anyone who answers the media''s questions in the same manner that strm would, would not be elected.
On the other side of the coin anyone who would play the press game should not be elected.
I''m looking forward to the debates also Biden is going to get chewed up.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Actually, our media is some of the least sensationalist of the western world in terms of spin and distortion. Honestly, I think if anything, our media doesn''t ask the tough questions (because doing so takes a large amount of research and work) and often tames down information because we Americans don''t want to hear it and are honestly more concerned with issues such as Obama''s daughter''s weight and Palin''s eyewear. I don''t think our candidates get enough scrutiny from the media, and that''s on both sides of the aisle.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/24/2008 1:43:29 PM
Author: strmrdr
She has an obligation to the people. And until she can visit each of us in person, she''s going to have to speak to the media.
Today''s media is the worst way to get any kind of message out or to talk to the people.
They always have to spin, analyze, and distort it then report what they wanted to hear not what was actually said.
This is done on both sides. And this is why debates come in handy. Because then it all comes out of their mouths, and onto our screens without any editing.

I think that there have been many *soundbites* in this campaign that would have been taken a lot differently if the ENTIRE speech/sermon/whatever was played.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If Palin is being sheltered from the media for this reason, then why is McCain not treated the same? Why can he speak, yet she cannot?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/24/2008 1:49:06 PM
Author: Elmorton
Actually, our media is some of the least sensationalist of the western world in terms of spin and distortion. Honestly, I think if anything, our media doesn''t ask the tough questions (because doing so takes a large amount of research and work) and often tames down information because we Americans don''t want to hear it and are honestly more concerned with issues such as Obama''s daughter''s weight and Palin''s eyewear. I don''t think our candidates get enough scrutiny from the media, and that''s on both sides of the aisle.

It is getting more and more sensationalist.
Yes I would agree that the press is not doing its job.
Hopefully the debates will bring out what the press should be doing because the press isn''t doing it.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/24/2008 1:52:39 PM
Author: Loves Vintage

If Palin is being sheltered from the media for this reason, then why is McCain not treated the same? Why can he speak, yet she cannot?

Maybe she don''t want to suffer fools and has more sense than McCain.
I wish she was running for president.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/24/2008 1:50:37 PM

She has an obligation to the people. And until she can visit each of us in person, she's going to have to speak to the media.

Today's media is the worst way to get any kind of message out or to talk to the people.

This is done on both sides. And this is why debates come in handy. Because then it all comes out of their mouths, and onto our screens without any editing.

I think that there have been many *soundbites* in this campaign that would have been taken a lot differently if the ENTIRE speech/sermon/whatever was played.

Agree
35.gif

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
I miss Tim Russert.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
What is missing from today''s media is hard hitting investigative reporting.
I am all for the media hitting the candidates hard on the issues with tough and fair questions that are presented truthfully to the people.
What I am against is sound bite media of today.
It is useless and a waste of time and energy.
It is also disrespectful and disgraceful.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock

This isn''t a matter of liberals vs. conservatives- EVERYONE should want to hear what Palin has to say.

If you''re going to run for public office, you''re going to be put under a microscope. Your words are going to be twisted by the scandal-loving media. You''re going to make mistakes, and you might end up looking like a fool, but that comes with the job. As Moon said, this is a job interview, and refusing to answer questions doesn''t fly.

I''m tired of the excuses being made for Palin. As Americans who truly love this country, we should all want to ''hire'' the most qualified man or woman for this job. I don''t care what a candidate''s website promises; I want to hear it from his or her own mouth (though not from a script).

If she''s as intelligent and confident as she claims to be, she''ll have intelligent, confident answers to our questions. But as long as she continues to hide, I''m going to assume she doesn''t have the answers we''re looking for.
I think we have an obligation to ourselves to pay attention to the debates and to do our own research on every candidate to decide whom to vote for. I do not think a clip on the news should determine anyone''s vote simply because what we are shown and what is emphasized is in the control of the media who will do whatever they want to get their own agenda across. Like any job interview, we, as employers, should do our due diligence before we "hire" her. As I said earlier, if people don''t like it then they don''t have to vote for McCain.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/24/2008 1:50:37 PM

I agree here as well! There''s nowhere to "hide" in the debates. I think they''ll be the highest rated ever.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The debates are fine. I will watch them. But they are not the end all and be all that people make them out to be. I knew a person on a high school debate team who could win all the time, even though he won because of making stupid points and cheap rhetorical shots. For example it is easy to throw in one liners and zingers and get the applause, but then when it''s all said and done, the content is often not there. Also what happened in the last debates there is so much stuff flying around. The press do try to come in and clean up afterwards and point out the falsehoods and misleading statements, but what is remembered is what was said during the debate, not whether is is actually true or not.

Of course I''m in disagreement with some who feel there is a liberal bias in the mainstream press. I''m not talking about blogs, but the New York Times, ABC, CBS, CNN, etc. I do agree the press can sensationalize, and because of the 24/7 culture has to feed on anything, even if it is stupid or trivial. In contrast I think that a big problem with the Bush administration that it restricted itself so much from the press (other than pre-printed talking points and so on) that the system of the free press couldn''t operate at it should. A free press I feel is part of a working democracy. If candidates feel they are above answering questions to the press, well then yes I have a problem with it.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
The reason the GOP is not letting her give press conferences or allowing interviews with reporters is because they remember how stupid Bush sounded back in 1999-2000, and they''re worried that she''s going to sound just as stupid as he did. It''s a shame because McCain is such a smart guy, and really can really handle the press.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Am I the only republican who thinks she should be speaking to the press? Is it me, or does anyone else remember a VP candidate in their lifetime who has been kept away from the press since accepting the nomination. That doesnt'' seem weird to anyone? I mean, the press has always been the press - liberal slanted (sorry, I just believe this) so it''s not like it''s new that the press can be nasty.

Plus, I reallly want there to be some new material that Jon Stewart can comment on.
3.gif

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
It's not about "media clips" it's about unscripted INTERVIEWS. You know, someone asks questions and the person responds with the best answer they possibly can based on their knowledge and experience. How can we all do our research if there is little out there to find because the person refuses to talk to the press???

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/24/2008 1:40:30 PM

If she's as intelligent and confident as she claims to be, she'll have intelligent, confident answers to our questions. But as long as she continues to hide, I'm going to assume she doesn't have the answers we're looking for.

What makes you think that press is interested in asking anything that has any bearing on how she will do the job?

Every time I watch a press conference I cringe at the dumb questions reporters ask.

All they want is some ammo to crate fake controversies and sell more advertising.

I say .. Go Mrs. Palin! Keep on giving them fits!

I'm sorry, I don't get this. Gov. Palin is running for Vice President!! We the people have a right to hear from her directly especially if she wants our vote. How can I vote for someone that won't even take press questions? If she doesn't have anything to hide, she'd talk to the press. I for one would like to hear more from her so I can make an educated decision about voting, but right now all she seems to do is hide and deflect.

ETA: Could you imagine the outrage if Biden behaved this way? Gov. Palin should be held to the same standards as all the candidates.

thumbelina

Shiny_Rock
Here''s a sample Q&A of Palin''s unscripted interview (at least I hope it was unscripted):

Hannity: What is our role as a country as it relates to national security?

Palin: Yes. That''s a great question, and being an optimist I see our role in the world as one of being a force for good, and one of being the leader of the world when it comes to the values that -- it seems that just human kind embraces the values that -- encompass life and liberty and the pursuit of happiness, and that''s just -- not just in America, that is in our world.

And America is in a position because we care for so many people to be able to lead and to be able to have a strong diplomacy and a strong military also at the same time to defend not only our freedoms, but to help these rising smaller democratic countries that are just -- you know, they''re putting themselves on the map right now, and they''re going to be looking to America as that leader.

We being used as a force for good is how I see our country.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/24/2008 4:11:24 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Am I the only republican who thinks she should be speaking to the press? Is it me, or does anyone else remember a VP candidate in their lifetime who has been kept away from the press since accepting the nomination. That doesnt'' seem weird to anyone? I mean, the press has always been the press - liberal slanted (sorry, I just believe this) so it''s not like it''s new that the press can be nasty.

Plus, I reallly want there to be some new material that Jon Stewart can comment on.
3.gif
I''m not a registered Republican but I am voting for McCain. I think she *should* be speaking to the press but if McCain''s campaign has decided that it''s in their best interest for her not to right now then that''s their bed to lay in. It might come back to bite them in the @$$ and I think it has in terms of the media''s reaction. There *is* an outrage, so I don''t think there''s a double standard as far as that goes. I don''t think she necessarily *owes* it to anyone and everyone is free to make their own voting choices based on this decision. I think the debates are great for unscripted moments because the candidates don''t know everything that will be thrown at them. We live in a time and place where information is plentiful. I would rather research about how candidates stand on issues than listen to what they tell the media who will filter their answers anyway. It does back to that joke, "How do you know if a politician is lying?"
2.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/24/2008 4:25:56 PM
Author: MoonWater
It''s not about ''media clips'' it''s about unscripted INTERVIEWS. You know, someone asks questions and the person responds with the best answer they possibly can based on their knowledge and experience. How can we all do our research if there is little out there to find because the person refuses to talk to the press???
What does questions about how she felt after seeing the 9/11 memorial have to do with if she is suited to be VP?

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
When interviewed by Charley Gibson, Palin stated that she never hesitated when she accepted the VP bid. If she was so confident in herself, her position on the issues and her capacity to lead this country--if need be--she should be ready to express and discuss these topics with the American public. I''ve said before that I think she''s a loose cannon and cannot imagine her having the credentials to be taken seriously by foreign leaders, much less this country.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/24/2008 4:41:24 PM
Author: thumbelina
Here''s a sample Q&A of Palin''s unscripted interview (at least I hope it was unscripted):

Palin: Yes. That''s a great question, and being an optimist I see our role in the world as one of being a force for good, and one of being the leader of the world when it comes to the values that -- it seems that just human kind embraces the values that -- encompass life and liberty and the pursuit of happiness, and that''s just -- not just in America, that is in our world.

And America is in a position because we care for so many people to be able to lead and to be able to have a strong diplomacy and a strong military also at the same time to defend not only our freedoms, but to help these rising smaller democratic countries that are just -- you know, they''re putting themselves on the map right now, and they''re going to be looking to America as that leader.

Please tell me that this is a bad dream.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/24/2008 5:38:22 PM
Author: risingsun
When interviewed by Charley Gibson, Palin stated that she never hesitated when she accepted the VP bid. If she was so confident in herself, her position on the issues and her capacity to lead this country--if need be--she should be ready to express and discuss these topics with the American public. I've said before that I think she's a loose cannon and cannot imagine her having the credentials to be taken seriously by foreign leaders, much less this country.
The American public is *not* the media, though.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/24/2008 5:42:19 PM
Date: 9/24/2008 4:41:24 PM

Please tell me that this is a bad dream.

Sorry, it''s not..and she''s here to stay.
5.gif

thumbelina

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/24/2008 5:57:50 PM
Author: IndyGirl22

When interviewed by Charley Gibson, Palin stated that she never hesitated when she accepted the VP bid. If she was so confident in herself, her position on the issues and her capacity to lead this country--if need be--she should be ready to express and discuss these topics with the American public. I''ve said before that I think she''s a loose cannon and cannot imagine her having the credentials to be taken seriously by foreign leaders, much less this country.

how will she do this if not through the media? i haven''t actually tried, but i doubt she''d be willing to have coffee with me any time soon.
1.gif

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/24/2008 6:13:56 PM

how will she do this if not through the media? i haven''t actually tried, but i doubt she''d be willing to have coffee with me any time soon.
1.gif
Not through the media; the media tells the American public what it wants to tell them. I wouldn''t call 90% of the stuff they put out discussions, either. I think the debates are a great way for them to convey their message to the American public. I don''t think there is a way for candidates to discuss issues with the real American public; the media has gotten that bad. Every article that comes out has to have about ten articles refuting it and then more articles are written about those ones. I just rely on my own research to make an informed decision. I guess we''ll see in November how seriously people take her credentials.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/24/2008 6:12:35 PM
Author: SarahLovesJS

Sorry, it's not..and she's here to stay.
5.gif

Does Palin's answer (above) truly satisfy you? Truly?

thumbelina

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/24/2008 6:20:26 PM
Date: 9/24/2008 6:13:56 PM

1.gif
Not through the media; the media tells the American public what it wants to tell them. I wouldn''t call 90% of the stuff they put out discussions, either. I think the debates are a great way for them to convey their message to the American public. I don''t think there is a way for candidates to discuss issues with the real American public; the media has gotten that bad. Every article that comes out has to have about ten articles refuting it and then more articles are written about those ones. I just rely on my own research to make an informed decision. I guess we''ll see in November how seriously people take her credentials.

Media covers more than just those reporters, writers, spin doctors, etc. Media is all the tools used to deliver and store data and information. All the research that you do to make your decisions is through the media. These are the vehicles through which we receive information about Palin. By refusing to take questions, speak to the press, etc., she''s essentially making it very difficult to get to know her.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results