shape
carat
color
clarity

Freaking out here!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
That apartment I rented?

Our friend is supposed to be having an open house tomorrow. I have 20 people lined up. She has been calling the landlady 4 times a day for 3 days and hasn''t gotten in touch with her.

The ad has disappeared off Craigslist. I found another listing for the apartment through a broker with postings going back to May.

Oh crap did we lose all our money???? We gave her first, last, and security. FI is on a plane to freaking GHANA and I am in Morocco.

Our friend called FI.. His plane is late. Hopefully if this woman is a fake he can stop the checks. We did sign a lease, looked real, he sent me the landlord''s contact info. I can''t find the real estate company anywhere online.

Welcome to New York....

I don''t know how late to wait tonight before I email all to say the open house is canceled for in the morning. At least until FI calls our friend when his plane lands. It could still be something as simple as he messed up the number he gave us.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Oh yeah, and if we are ACTUALLY out all that money???

We may have to cancel the wedding.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh no! Did you call? Call the bank now.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
I CAN'T!!!! It's his bank and I don't have power of attorney, HE did since he was renting the apartment! We're not married so it is in his name.

As soon as his plane lands he is getting his butt to an internet connection somewhere in Ghana and canceling the checks.

ETA: Not yelling at YOU, Skippers, just frantic..

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry I can''t advise you but I just wanted to say try to stay calm. I know its easier said than done. I''m sending you big hugs

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Trying to breathe.....in and out.

fabcrab

Brilliant_Rock
Try and relax (easier said than done). Sending good vibes your way. I hope everything turns out ok!

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Yeah..I wouldn''t be as worried except:

He signed the lease, left it with her (he could only go up to the city over the weekend) and they faxed back and forth

The new fax she had *whited out* everything he had wrote in (cats, subletting ok). She also wanted a money order for August instead of dealing with a subletter.

He re-wrote in the provisions on the rider and sent it back with a firm business letter----and I THINK the money order, but I don''t know.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Oh no!! Since you can't do anything without your FI, please try to relax and stay calm as much you can. I know it's hard but freaking out won't help the situation. Sending you lots of good vibes!

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Sigh. Ok. Marginally more calm.

I got in touch with the woman who put the other ads for the apartment up on Craigslist (a broker). She was at a dinner but promised to call back tomorrow to let us know if the apartment is in fact rented (to us) and if she knows a better contact number for the owner. I felt terrible for calling her so late but so be it.

I left a terse message on the womans'' machine who supposedly rented it to us stating that if we did not hear from her by Monday morning we were canceling all payment and if there was ANY more funny business she would hear from a lawyer (I didn''t put that last bit in but I am thinking it).

I got in touch with FI in Ghana. He says the manager was very hard to get in touch with earlier, so maybe it is just that. If so I am still pissed off because every day that apt sits unrented is money out the window
29.gif
29.gif
FI cannot cancel the checks until tomorrow afternoon/Monday apparently. Freaking subSaharan Africa. Thankfully, he sent her no money order.

If I wind up with no place to live and no wedding money, I am going to be so angry there are no words.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m glad you know more, but I understand that biting anxiety and helplessness. (((BIG HUGS)))

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh sorry to hear this, I hope everything turns out ok. Hugs!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh gosh, sorry to hear this. Hang in there, hoping it all works out for you guys. HUGS!!!!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yikes! I''m keeping my fingers crossed for you!

snlee

Ideal_Rock
I'm glad you know a little more. Hang in there! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you too!

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Well, today isn't going a whole lot better---

The woman's phone is now going straight to voicemail. Haven't been able to get in touch with our friend. I called the landlord's name listed in the phone book and got a Spanish speaking lady...

I found the names of the people living IN the building in the White Pages. None of them are home, but one women's children are apparently there and say she will be back at 9PM.

Annnd since I can't get through to my friend, I don't know if the broker who listed tha apartment called her or not. Hm.

FI said the first check already cleared, and the other's can't be stopped until Monday. He also seems to feel like she is just unavailable in spite of the fact that I now know 1) he doesnt know her (the property manager's) last name 2) none of the other tenants saw him with her 3) the address of the landlord is a PO box in brooklyn

Thanks for the support everyone!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh no RT. I hope it all works out for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results