shape
carat
color
clarity

found this site too late..is this diamond gonna be crap?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

04STi

Rough_Rock
hi,i been..searching ebay to upgrade my girls cz ring....funds are limited...anywho i purchased a loose stone...its egl certified...it is .91..h in color and i1 clarity
emotion-41.gif
...could someone view the certificate specs here and tell me if i'm gonna vomit when it arrives
emcry.gif
i dont understand the dimension specs and such

http://www.eglusa.com/customerlogin.html

punch in this cert number 33279103D

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is going to take someone who is knowlegable about Pear Shapped diamonds to comment.

Would you be better off returning the package unopened and starting your search over?

Perry

reena

Ideal_Rock
here are the specs so that people can comment. (i am not a pear expert by any means.) any chance you''ve seen the stone in person? what''s the return policy?

Certificate 33279103D
Weight 0.91 ct.
Shape PEAR BRILLIANT
Color H
Clarity I1
Measurements 7.82 x 5.79 x 3.32 mm
Depth 57.3
Table 55.0
Crown 12.6
Pavilion 35.9
Girdle MEDIUM TO EX. THICK FACETED
Polish GOOD
Symmetry GOOD
Fluorescence NONE
Culet SMALL

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
its just too shallow plus you have that girdle AND i think that is an awful lot of money for an i1 clarity

abradabra

Shiny_Rock
According the AGA charts on http://www.gemappraisers.com/, the table and crown height are in the 1A (best) cut-range, but the extremely thick portion of the girdle and the relatively shallow total depth brings the grade down.

I don''t know a whole lot about pears, so I can''t begin to opine about what of these aspects is more important than the others. But you should take a few things into consideration--first, whether the stone is beautiful to your eye (ultimately all that matters) and how perfect you feel the stone needs to be on paper. For some people, especially around here, it is really important to have that magic combination of numbers that gives top cut ratings. Other people just want a diamond that they think is pretty. Neither attitude is better than the other--it''s just personal preference.

If you fall into the latter category, I wouldn''t worry about the stone too much if you can''t find the inclusions, it looks pretty and you think the color is great face up. If you fall into the former category, I guess I would return the stone and start a search for the absolute perfect pear-cut diamond!

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
Is that what you paid for it? Can you return it right away? I think there''s a law that you have a certain amount of time to do that.

It looks like you overpaid for the qualiity. According to the pricescope search you could have got that for under 2000. for $4000 you can get a kick a$$ stone from one of the vendors on here.

reena

Ideal_Rock
where are you guys seeing a price for the stone?

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
when you plug in the cert number on the EGL link the price is at the bottom

abradabra

Shiny_Rock
They must have gone to Ebay and looked it up there? I was confused by that too....

ETA: Ahhh.... Nevermind. It says that is an appraisal price. Since another thread right now is talking about how inflated those can be, I would imagine he didn't pay nearly that much...

04STi

Rough_Rock
i paid alittle over $500..its on its way..i just hope it looks ok

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i paid alittle over $500..

?????

captain!!

04STi

Rough_Rock
huh

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
WHAT????
6.gif

reena

Ideal_Rock
cap'n says, what's the return policy?

it could be okay, i suppose, but that price is REALLY low, IMO, if the stone's specs are what they're supposed to be. be careful.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
sorry, o4, i was just surprised by the $500.
i was ????? questioning how good a 1ct $500 stone would be............

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
A stone of those specifications is not normally $500. If you got what you saw on the web page, then you got a deal, but in all honesty, I don''t know of anyone who likes giving other people "deals" at their own expense... Not a good business practice.

An I1 is generally fairly included, even at .91cts, so it may have eye-visible incusions. That''s not a bad thing, it only depends on your tolerance. It does not seem like a bad stone from it''s specs, but the gridle is where there is a bit of hidden weight. Although I am impressed by the faceted girdle, which is normally a way cutters hide thik girdle refections within the stone to make the appearance better. Obviosuly it is not perfectly cut, but for $500, I wouldn''t expect it to be.

EGL is also more loose on their color and clarity standards, so they sell at a rebate for a similar stone that is GIA graded. It could be appraised at an I or J color,and possibly an I2-I3 clarity. That is all dependant, so until an independant appraiser sees it, you won''t know. COnsider that four people can ook at the same stone, and get four different estimates. As it stands, you can either try to return it without opening it, open it and have it appraised, or open it and enjoy what you purchased if it meets your standards.

Next time try not buying a diamond off E-bay, especially if you don''t want to get "crap", because what you don''t know about this stone could make this whole transaction very stressful. Next time before buying anything, try enlisting the help of a professional BEFORE you buy, to reduce your buying stress...

04STi

Rough_Rock
well i had a tough time finding a certified stone that wasent enhanced....i feel like sh!t!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
most of the stones on ebay are enhanced. what is the return policy? ......just in case you don''t like it.

reena

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2004 4
6.gif
8:20 PM
Author: 04STi
well i had a tough time finding a certified stone that wasent enhanced....i feel like sh!t!
oh, no, don''t feel like sh*t! don''t worry. check it out, and if you don''t like it, return it. the people here will help you find something nice. it will all work out!

is around $500 your budget?

04STi

Rough_Rock
sadly enough yes....i had a total of 556 in my paypaL account....i sold my rims and my blow off valve for it
emcry.gif

reena

Ideal_Rock
well, i think you can get a better quality stone for $500, but you''re going to have to go down in size, probably to a half carat or less. are you OK with that? if not, and you''re set on a larger stone, then something that''s an I1-I3 or that''s enhanced really might be the best choice for you. in which case, maybe the one you bought will do the trick.

04STi

Rough_Rock
i saw some actual pics of some i1 stones online....i saw a couple that looked ok...but the ones with black in it and other stuff..looks ugly..had no idea diamonds could be so ugly..i could never give her something like that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
emembarrassed.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
can you return it if you don''t like it? did you get this on ebay? if so, do you have the link so we can check it out? or, the sellers name?

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Have you considered consignment shops that sell pre-set engagement rings or loose stones? I think if you want to kep within budget, and this will be the only stone you buy, that''s the best way to get most for your money.

If you think you may want to upgrade in the future, then consider a stone with lower color and clarity, and a decent cut, and get the best combination of all the factors. Perhaps an I-J color (or even warmer), and an SI2. At about .60cts or so, you will have a hard time seeing anything in an SI2 stone, especially to an untrained eye. At the .50ct or so range, some people have hard time seeing I1 stone inclusions without a loupe or magnification device, so that''s also a good bet. Fancy shaped stones such as ovals, pears and marquise tend to retail less than round stones, and sometimes even look larger for their carat weight.

Either way good luck, and perhaps you will find a better alternative to your E-Bay choice. I really do suggest getting your self into an estate jeweler or consignment shop and seeing what they offer in your price range.

04STi

Rough_Rock
no that wont work..it needs to be close in size to her fake cz ring...cause the girls at her work would see it..geez maybe i should sell my STi and buy a monster!

reena

Ideal_Rock
oh--a great suggestion by nicrez. i have seen some beautiful estate engagement rings that have been really reasonably priced. you may want to check it out.

reena

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2004 4:30
6.gif
8 PM
Author: 04STi
no that wont work..it needs to be close in size to her fake cz ring...cause the girls at her work would see it..geez maybe i should sell my STi and buy a monster!
okay, but if your bigger stone turns out to be an 13 or whatever with eyevisible inclusions, the girls at work are going to see that, too.

unfortunately you''re going to have to sacrifice something here, be it size or quality. quality 1 carat diamonds just cannot be bought from a retailer for $500.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
What size is her CZ? I assume it's .91cts? Remember that carat weight is just that. Weight. Not size. So see if you can measure the CZ in mm, or find a jeweler you can trust and have them help you in your search. Consider that at your price range, there is very little profit to be made by most jewelers, so it's tough to find someone who will help you out with lots of time.

I don't like to give other people financial advice, but I personally feel that if you want to get a comperable ring, save up your money, or make the financial priorities that you need to make, and THEN buy the ring. If she currently has someting that is working, then why not wait a while, save and replace it when you can afford to? Just know that a CZ ring will wear down a lot more than a diamond ring, so it may show scratches and possible chips many years earlier (and under less severe) conditions than a diamond might.

Consider all your possibilities, but either way good luck!

Also added: CZ weighs almost twice what a diamond does at the same carat weight, so perhaps the stone may be a smaller carat weight in diamond... Good luck!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
what size is the cz that you are replacing?

ps., the return policy looks reasonable at least you still have that option.........

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results