shape
carat
color
clarity

Found the ring, but right size available too late...what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

paolom

Rough_Rock
Ladies,

I do need an advice here on how to best proceed.

I decided to ask my girlfriend THE question...
19.gif

I planned to do it in a month time when I organized a romantic weekend out in a 5* Hotel with Spa, she will love it.
She knows about the trip but I think she doesn''t suspect about the incomin ring.

I found the ring I like at Cartier. But it''s not her size and they quote me a 2.5 months leadtime to get it done, now they say that the diamond it''ll be a "River", a fantastic color. I think she will like it a lot but it seems I cannot follow my original plan so I seem to have following options:

1. Buy Cartier the wrong size ring with the agreement of getting hte right size meanwhile done. The pro is that she will see the right ring, but she will likely have to give it back to Cartier waiting for the right size for almost two months... it doesn''t look very romantic
2. I also like, but less, one of their Trinity Model with a diamond paved white gold ring. Either the Trinity Crash or Trinity One (the slim version). They have the right size of these at the moment. I I go with this option, I won''t give her the ring I like the most.... although maybe she will love those two anyway...
3. Just reschedule the whole proposition to match Cartier leadtime...

I just got communicated about this leadtime, but I will have a chat tomorrow with Cartier boutique director to see what are the options, but meantime, any suggestion will be welcome.

Thanks a lot, Paolo

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
How about you get a "stand in" ring to propose with??? Perhaps something like a simple band she can stack with her E-ring and wedding band when the time comes...something that she can wear when cleaning, etc...times she doesn''t want to wear her real e-ring...

Then you can propose, with a ring, that she can still wear, at the time you want...but then replace it with the Cartier one when it''s ready.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don''t make her give the ring back. Even just to get it sized properly.

Is the ring too big or too small?
Why do they say it will take so long?

paolom

Rough_Rock
Today i have an appointment with the director of the boutique to check whether we can speed it up,but shoterning 1.5 months out of 2.5 seems a challenging task...i can only think of a long backlog as reason for such a leadtime...id they confirm the wait,i will be struggling woth the decision om how to move forward.

paolom

Rough_Rock
...And sorry for the typos....i am posting via my PDA ...

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/28/2009 8:34:34 PM
Author: vc10um
How about you get a ''stand in'' ring to propose with??? Perhaps something like a simple band she can stack with her E-ring and wedding band when the time comes...something that she can wear when cleaning, etc...times she doesn''t want to wear her real e-ring...

Then you can propose, with a ring, that she can still wear, at the time you want...but then replace it with the Cartier one when it''s ready.

This is a pretty good idea. Maybe something like an eternity band.

How would she feel about this? Is she very sentimental?

Maybe you could give her a picture and detailed info on the "real" ring along with the band.

paolom

Rough_Rock
Deleted

paolom

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/29/2009 11:32:52 AM
Author: TooPatient

Maybe you could give her a picture and detailed info on the ''real'' ring along with the band.
Yep, quite sentimental. I don''t mind buying a nice e-ring, but isn''t the Eternity band expensive for the purpose?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/29/2009 11:51:35 AM
Author: paolom

Date: 10/29/2009 11:32:52 AM
Author: TooPatient

Maybe you could give her a picture and detailed info on the ''real'' ring along with the band.
Yep, quite sentimental. I don''t mind buying a nice e-ring, but isn''t the Eternity band expensive for the purpose?
If she is really sentimental, she might be happier to wait for the one you picked out.

Coming from a sentimental person, I''d love to get a proposal with something like an eternity band & pictures of the ring that is being finished. Along with some nice words like "I love you so much I just couldn''t wait another 2 months for the ring"

Eternity bands come in all sorts of sizes and prices. I saw a beautiful one (I think at WF) for about $900 the other day. You could also look at an eternity (or other) band with colored stones if she likes those. I''ve seen some out there in ruby & diamond before that are really pretty. You could also look at the big chain stores for a sale. I''ve seen them around for as little as $400 before.
Another option would be to consider CZ or synthetic colored stones.

I''m very sentimental. If B proposed to me with a temporary ring while the real one was being finished, I''d never want to take it off. It would be special.

If you go with a ring to stack with her e-ring and WB, then you want it to be nice enough that she can wear it without it looking out of place with the nice e-ring. You also don''t want it to detract from the e-ring. (either too big or visibly different quality, etc.)

paolom

Rough_Rock
This could be an idea indeed, thanks for both of you for posting.

This the ring I had in mind... as I said, I was thinking of a Trinity One or a Trinity Crash... what could be a good companion ring?

Meantime I''m checking with the Cartier, I am not sure they did all they can yet as far as inquiring for availability and timing.

paolom.jpg

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/29/2009 1:41:44 PM
This could be an idea indeed, thanks for both of you for posting.

This the ring I had in mind... as I said, I was thinking of a Trinity One or a Trinity Crash... what could be a good companion ring?

Meantime I''m checking with the Cartier, I am not sure they did all they can yet as far as inquiring for availability and timing.
Beautiful ring. You have great taste.

A few possibilities from WF:

scattered diamonds

diamond band

Eternity Band

Filigree

Pave

They have many options. I found these in the anniversary/WB section. Not sure what kind of price you ar looking for. They''ve got a wide range.

My favorites would be the eternity band (or another eternity band -- they''ve got many to pick from) or the pave.

paolom

Rough_Rock
You should change your nick from "TooPatient" to "TooKind"... thanks a lot for the suggestions!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/29/2009 2:57:14 PM
You should change your nick from ''TooPatient'' to ''TooKind''... thanks a lot for the suggestions!

Let us know what you pick. And post pictures.

paolom

Rough_Rock
Ok, there''s a little hope I could get in time, but it seems that nothing comes easy....

So here the details: I called the Cartier Boutique on 5th Av in NYC and they found a ring somewhere in America and they will have it in store next week when I''m visiting the city on a business trip. The size is right!
There''s an issue though: if she doesn''t like the ring or the size is not perfect, I will have to return it to NYC (or somewhere in America) and they will issue only a voucher that I can spend to an other Cartier in America... ahhh where''s globalization? Moreover, the Director of Boutique in Madrid told me that she cannot request a ring from the States?!?!? That''s really strange.
38.gif

Net, the only option that they leave me is to buy it in NYC and take a little risk... or wait 2.5 months (they tried but cannot cut the leadtime).

What to do?
20.gif

Of course the suggested option of having 2 rings (one for the proposal, one for later) is still valid... or should I take that little risk?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/30/2009 6:58:58 PM
Ok, there''s a little hope I could get in time, but it seems that nothing comes easy....

So here the details: I called the Cartier Boutique on 5th Av in NYC and they found a ring somewhere in America and they will have it in store next week when I''m visiting the city on a business trip. The size is right!
There''s an issue though: if she doesn''t like the ring or the size is not perfect, I will have to return it to NYC (or somewhere in America) and they will issue only a voucher that I can spend to an other Cartier in America... ahhh where''s globalization? Moreover, the Director of Boutique in Madrid told me that she cannot request a ring from the States?!?!? That''s really strange.
38.gif

Net, the only option that they leave me is to buy it in NYC and take a little risk... or wait 2.5 months (they tried but cannot cut the leadtime).

What to do?
20.gif

Of course the suggested option of having 2 rings (one for the proposal, one for later) is still valid... or should I take that little risk?

Sounds too risky.

Especially if they couldn''t correct the size for you. I saw a thread in rocky talky awhile ago discussing how sizes can even vary from one store (cartier) to another (White Flash etc.).

I''d be uncomfortable trusting that the size was exactly right.

If the location near you would be willing to take care of any sizing corrections, that would be different.

paolom

Rough_Rock
Just a "newbie question"....

What would you think if for the proposal somebody would give you a pendant... that would pair with the ring being prepared ...and a nice picture of what''s coming? I''m a traditionalist person, but I also care more about what a person mean vs. the material object. I think she''s like me from this point of view....
but you know... a proposal sounds wrong without a ring....

well, just a thought. It looks like impossible now that I will get the ring I want on time, so the options left are:

1. Postpone the proposal
2. Change ring (my preferred backup options are the Trinity One and the Crash)
3. Go for an other ring in the meantime or some other idea like a pendant...

thinking, thinking...
33.gif

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/1/2009 6:18:52 AM
Just a ''newbie question''....

What would you think if for the proposal somebody would give you a pendant... that would pair with the ring being prepared ...and a nice picture of what''s coming? I''m a traditionalist person, but I also care more about what a person mean vs. the material object. I think she''s like me from this point of view....
but you know... a proposal sounds wrong without a ring....

well, just a thought. It looks like impossible now that I will get the ring I want on time, so the options left are:

1. Postpone the proposal
2. Change ring (my preferred backup options are the Trinity One and the Crash)
3. Go for an other ring in the meantime or some other idea like a pendant...

thinking, thinking...
33.gif
I would personally prefer another ring, but that is me. Some women may not be comfortable with 3 rings on one finger.

A pendant would be a nice choice too if she likes them. I''ve seen some beautiful ones. Does she like the heart pendants? Maybe a locket engraved with your engagement date?

If you get her a pendant, be sure to get her a good quality chain to go with. I have one pendant I wear and it NEVER comes off. The chain has to be comfortable. Thick enough to be durable. Thin enough to not be overwhelming. My favorite chain lasted for about 8 years of constant wear. It was made of individual strands of gold twisted together to make a rope. Very strong.

You know, as I type this out the thought of a pendant just sounds so sweet and romantic. Especially something with a personal touch. Engraved with your names or engagement date or some other special thing. That along with nice pictures of the ring being sized would make a wonderful proposal.
Not exactly traditional but romantic & special.

I wouldn''t postpone the proposal. The trip just sounds too perfect for it.

paolom

Rough_Rock
Yep, I think it won''t be traditional but I think she will like it.

In my constant global quest for the ring, I just found 3 (three!) of them in the European Union. Cartier ability to makes international search indeed shows some room for improvement. I just told my Cartier in Madrid to go and get the one I like.... if they don''t succeed, then I will buy directly, I travel to that city 2-3times/month.

If the worst comes, then the pendant is a nice idea! (otherwise Xmas is close... :D )

Thanks a lot for the support!

Paolo

turboflgrl

Shiny_Rock
If it were me, I would want my boyfriend to follow by their leadtime and propose when the ring was ready. I mean, it would be one thing if it was a year of waiting but since it's only 2.5 months, I guess I don't see the harm. I'm also of the seemingly minority that does not want to and will not upgrade my ring. The ring I receive is one I will wear for the rest of my life and when I look at it, I want to think of the proposal and everything my boyfriend said to me as opposed to knowing it was not the ring I was given on that special day/night. This is not to say that the only thing important about the proposal is the ring, but to me it is a symbol of everything he planned and that is important to me personally. My boyfriend and I had thought about doing the placeholder thing in the past (due to personal reasons) but opted not to because of how we both felt about it. I do understand that you had something planned out but is it really date dependent?

paolom

Rough_Rock
Well, we are close, VERY close....

I have two rings available and I need to choose in the next 24hours... let me know what you think, p l e a s e .... :)

One available in New York, 0.47ct, E, VVS2
One availble in London , 0.43ct, F, VVS1

Same price basically for both. Cartier New York would only accept a return within USA and would issue a store credit to be spent in the country, they would allow up to three months for the return. Cartier London has worked out with Cartier Madrid the possibility to do everything through Cartier Madrid.

I am in New York today and tomorrow and have seen the ring, it''s beautiful. I will be in London next week. In both cases, any size adjustment (plus minus two measures) can be done anywhere. I know though that theoretically the ring is the right size (there could me some minor adjustmenrs only needed in the worst case). If I want to take home the one from New York I have to buy tomorrow at the latest.

The one in New York seems better from a specification perspective, and I have the feeling that she won''t change the model. That''s what my gut suggests,but my brain says that the London option is safer.

If I went for New York one, I could Fedex back the ring or change it as I''m next in USA. If she didn''t like the ring, then I would give her as present a pendant with the date of proposal and invite her for a long weekend back in New York, which she would love (she got me shopping for her at J.Crew and Anthropology yesterday) as Xmas present. If I went for the London one, of course everthing will be easier.

Advices?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/3/2009 7:04:28 AM
Well, we are close, VERY close....

I have two rings available and I need to choose in the next 24hours... let me know what you think, p l e a s e .... :)

One available in New York, 0.47ct, E, VVS2
One availble in London , 0.43ct, F, VVS1

Same price basically for both. Cartier New York would only accept a return within USA and would issue a store credit to be spent in the country, they would allow up to three months for the return. Cartier London has worked out with Cartier Madrid the possibility to do everything through Cartier Madrid.

I am in New York today and tomorrow and have seen the ring, it''s beautiful. I will be in London next week. In both cases, any size adjustment (plus minus two measures) can be done anywhere. I know though that theoretically the ring is the right size (there could me some minor adjustmenrs only needed in the worst case). If I want to take home the one from New York I have to buy tomorrow at the latest.

The one in New York seems better from a specification perspective, and I have the feeling that she won''t change the model. That''s what my gut suggests,but my brain says that the London option is safer.

If I went for New York one, I could Fedex back the ring or change it as I''m next in USA. If she didn''t like the ring, then I would give her as present a pendant with the date of proposal and invite her for a long weekend back in New York, which she would love (she got me shopping for her at J.Crew and Anthropology yesterday) as Xmas present. If I went for the London one, of course everthing will be easier.

Advices?

Both options sound pretty okay. The London one would be safer, but the NY one would be fine with the help of FedEx (if needed). I also like your idea of bringing her to NY if she didn''t like it.

I know that isn''t hugely helpful. I guess what I mean is that either option could be worked with. It comes down to which ring is better.

For that, I suggest that you post a thread in Rocky Talky with all of the specifics. There are some amazing diamond experts over there.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
I''m inclined to say take the London one. The size difference between the two diamonds is negligible, as are the other specs.

Since you can do everything through Cartier Madrid with the one from London, I think it would be better in terms of customer service.

Though I wouldn''t turn down a trip to NYC, and I''m only 4 hours away as it is!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results