Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
Re: Found more sapphires. Help me condense and/or expand my

Unfortunately, the only way to hide bow ties is to mount little lights around the stone so that it can reflect light equally in all directions :wink2: just kidding...but that would make an awesome "halo"...
Elongated stones can only reflect light back at unequal rates because of having unequal sides. Light usually comes from one direction at a time, so the stone will reflect it back on the pavilion side that is angled to the light, does that make sense? Turn the stone around and it will reflect from the other side, so it is not 'extinction' at all, just uneven reflection. Some bowties or shadows are more pronounced than others, depending on the depth of color and the cut. Silky stones are nearly exempt from this because they don't flash at all, they glow.

goldbandgirl

Rough_Rock

PieAreSquared|1428016574|3856082 said:
Unfortunately, the only way to hide bow ties is to mount little lights around the stone so that it can reflect light equally in all directions :wink2: just kidding...but that would make an awesome "halo"...
Elongated stones can only reflect light back at unequal rates because of having unequal sides. Light usually comes from one direction at a time, so the stone will reflect it back on the pavilion side that is angled to the light, does that make sense? Turn the stone around and it will reflect from the other side, so it is not 'extinction' at all, just uneven reflection. Some bowties or shadows are more pronounced than others, depending on the depth of color and the cut. Silky stones are nearly exempt from this because they don't flash at all, they glow.

hahaha.
okay i think i understand.
doesn't the supernova cut do a good job of preventing/hiding bowties? because gemfix has a lot of those.

goldbandgirl

Rough_Rock

here are two nice giants:

http://www.starruby.in/store/madagascar-sapphires/6-49-carat-eye-clean-color-change-sapphire-from-madagascar
-I think this color is so cool. But I'm afraid it might look a little gray in real life...what do you think? It says it's eye-clean, but I feel like it doesn't look that way...maybe I'm wrong? Anyway, this stone really caught my eye.

http://www.starruby.in/store/ceylonese-sapphires/5-07-carat-lively-vivid-blue-eye-clean-unheated-ceylon-sapphire
-I'm liking this one more and more. Can you spot any imperfections? The pavilion looks lopsided, but it doesn't appear to affect the appearance. Oh, and the GIA report is dated on my birthday, so perhaps it's fate!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

goldbandgirl|1428008758|3856002 said:
MollyMalone|1428006688|3855984 said:
The bow tie in that sapphire offered by Jeff Davies would bug me, but you may feel differently.

Gemfix has had more, and nicer, blue-green/green-blue Mintana sapphires in the size and shape you want than what's presently showing on his web site. So since time is not of the essence, think you'd be better off waiting & continuing to explore other options as you've been doing. Colored stones can really test one's tolerance for delayed gratfication ;))
Okay, good to know. I can't remember what his inventory was like a few months back when i was looking. So I guess I'll have to be patient *sigh*
Do you think it will help to ask him what he has in store?
Absolutely reach out to him to find out what else may be in the pipeline! Have you received any responses from any of the cutters/vendors suggested in your earlier thread re Montana sapphires?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results