shape
carat
color
clarity

Forthcoming Chinese New Year

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2010 11:14:06 AM
Author: jstarfireb

Date: 2/7/2010 12:43:15 AM
Author: Harriet
Does that mean you can read it too? Good for you! It''s a tough language.

Nope, I''m only learning spoken Mandarin (pinyin romanization).

Thanks chictomato!
I think it is great. Also your child will have a chance to learn Chinese from early age, and since it is a difficult language he''ll be at such an advantage over everyone else when he grows up, job-wise and in any other way. My son insisted on learning Russian, because, as he said, "It would be foolish not to use this opportunity". He is now fully bilingual and also speaks Italian. And my husband was also born in the Year of Tiger.
We have many Asians in WA, I think about 15%, but Chinatown is far away and I have not seen anyone celebrating Chinese new year in our neighborhood. I shall see if we can still book a table at one of downtown Chinese restaurants.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2010 3:47:46 AM
Author: DiaDiva
I think the restaurants in Singapore will be hurting since the reunion dinner will be on the eve of Valentine''s and the first day of CNY is on the 14th. I don''t think there will be many who will be able to avoid dinner with the family on either day.

Not a problem for DH and I since we don''t celebrate and out of sheer perverseness prefer to go to a hawker centre on V-day.
11.gif

I''m with you. Valentine''s doesn''t mean much to me, so I can''t stomach the markups on flowers and food. Have chai tow kuey for me, please.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2010 11:14:06 AM
Author: jstarfireb
Date: 2/7/2010 12:43:15 AM

Does that mean you can read it too? Good for you! It''s a tough language.

Nope, I''m only learning spoken Mandarin (pinyin romanization).

Thanks chictomato!

Someday. ;-)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Valentines don''t do anything for me either. Yeah, I''m so unromantic. Crazy crowds, flowers fade and die, and chocolate? Most don''t even taste that great.
9.gif

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Not a problem for DH and I since we don''t celebrate and out of sheer perverseness prefer to go to a hawker centre on V-day.
11.gif
niceeeeeeeee

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2010 1:20:01 AM
Author: haagen_dazs
maybe i should buy a red gemstone for good luck

Wow! Great idea! Now my DH can''t wiggle out of it. As a Tiger, he should be proactive. Also, it is a Valentine - and while it doesn''t matter much to me either, it is still a good reason to buy me a stone. I always welcome the idea of new clothes. And red becomes me. I do not know what red packets mean (have to Google it) but is it OK if he puts a red stone into it?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a Tiger too! Well, I was born in January before the lunar new year, so my parents like to call me a tiger with a rabbit nose, haha.

Hmmm...I really should get something new to wear for New Years...

I'm supposed to be teaching my hubby Chinese, but I'm not doing a great job since I don't really understand Chinese grammar myself. I speak mandarin fluently..but that's about it. I really need to improve my reading and writing.

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/7/2010 4:49:46 PM

I think the restaurants in Singapore will be hurting since the reunion dinner will be on the eve of Valentine's and the first day of CNY is on the 14th. I don't think there will be many who will be able to avoid dinner with the family on either day.

Not a problem for DH and I since we don't celebrate and out of sheer perverseness prefer to go to a hawker centre on V-day.
11.gif

I'm with you. Valentine's doesn't mean much to me, so I can't stomach the markups on flowers and food. Have chai tow kuey for me, please.

Harriet, I will certainly eat some on your behalf and I've also been DIY-ing with the chai tow kuey....I buy a biggish yam roll from the supermarket and fry it with chai por, tow gay, prawns and egg. Better than the ones they sell outside because I can put more "liao" into it. Yum.....

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/7/2010 5:19:18 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
I''m a Tiger too! Well, I was born in January before the lunar new year, so my parents like to call me a tiger with a rabbit nose, haha.

Hmmm...I really should get something new to wear for New Years...

I''m supposed to be teaching my hubby Chinese, but I''m not doing a great job since I don''t really understand Chinese grammar myself. I speak mandarin fluently..but that''s about it. I really need to improve my reading and writing.

Yes, you need something new to wear...it''s tradition....it''s a good reason to go shopping!
9.gif

I don''t really remember the writing bit but I can still read...it''s weird but Chinese is like that, isn''t it? Helps that I read the gongfu novels or sappy Taiwanese romances to practise my Chinese....
3.gif

My DH looks Chinese (he''s Eurasian) but cannot speak a word of it...so whenever we visit China...it''s a tiring for me because I become the tour guide/translator!

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
I''m nowhere near being Chinese, but, there is a group on campus that is putting on an Asian New Year celebration and I will be going to that. They are going to have performances and guest speakers, I''m very excited!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
That sounds fun Kas! I wish we had more diversity here-between our (kick ass) Chinese restaurant in town and watching Ni Hao Kai Lan, that''s as diverse as we can get here.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock

I think the restaurants in Singapore will be hurting since the reunion dinner will be on the eve of Valentine's and the first day of CNY is on the 14th. I don't think there will be many who will be able to avoid dinner with the family on either day.

Not a problem for DH and I since we don't celebrate and out of sheer perverseness prefer to go to a hawker centre on V-day.
11.gif

prefer bak chor mee

I'm with you. Valentine's doesn't mean much to me, so I can't stomach the markups on flowers and food. Have chai tow kuey for me, please.
prefer bak chor mee
31.gif

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/7/2010 5:14:20 PM
Author: crasru
Date: 2/7/2010 1:20:01 AM

maybe i should buy a red gemstone for good luck

Wow! Great idea! Now my DH can''t wiggle out of it. As a Tiger, he should be proactive. Also, it is a Valentine - and while it doesn''t matter much to me either, it is still a good reason to buy me a stone. I always welcome the idea of new clothes. And red becomes me. I do not know what red packets mean (have to Google it) but is it OK if he puts a red stone into it?

its the year of the golden tiger too.
its a good year for the tigers =)
the red packets can hold anything of blessings to you (eg monetary, gifts etc etc)

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/7/2010 11:50:04 PM

I think the restaurants in Singapore will be hurting since the reunion dinner will be on the eve of Valentine''s and the first day of CNY is on the 14th. I don''t think there will be many who will be able to avoid dinner with the family on either day.

11.gif

prefer bak chor mee

I''m with you. Valentine''s doesn''t mean much to me, so I can''t stomach the markups on flowers and food. Have chai tow kuey for me, please.

prefer bak chor mee
31.gif

With lots of chor and hiam....I hope!
9.gif

Are you from Singapore, Mark?

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Harriet,

Your red packet is waiting at my house...lol. With a few more goodies...

I''m very excited as my first born daughter will be completing 1 full chinese calendar cycle this year...There are 2 dragons, a tiger and a rooster in our house. The dragons are both males!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hubby wants to know what the traditions are. I told him no sweeping on CNY, tuan yuan fan on the Eve, and new clothing. Is he supposed to give me an ang pow?

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
No, angpow Harriet....just a little red gemmy....lol

All lights on please.
No sweeping
Lots of noise....thats kinda normal in our house!
No fighting or cussing with anyone!

There must be more....

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Reference to traditions here;

http://www.familyculture.com/holidays/chinese_new_year.htm

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No fighting, squabbling or scolding, no cleaning and all debts must be paid before the CNY. Spouses generally don’t exchange red packets, at least not in my family that I’ve observed.

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
DH provides the money for the red packets though....
9.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2010 9:44:20 AM
Author: sparkles
Harriet,

Your red packet is waiting at my house...lol. With a few more goodies...

I''m very excited as my first born daughter will be completing 1 full chinese calendar cycle this year...There are 2 dragons, a tiger and a rooster in our house. The dragons are both males!

I''ll try to visit next year, I promise. :)

Is your daughter excited?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Darn, no ang pow from hubby then.

Mark,
Red gemmies are expensive!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the heads up about the New Year. I have a few friends to wish a "Happy New Year" to.
21.gif

And Happy New Year to all the PSers!!
10.gif

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
yeaaaappppp

Date: 2/8/2010 3:40:20 AM
Date: 2/7/2010 11:50:04 PM

11.gif

prefer bak chor mee

prefer bak chor mee
31.gif

With lots of chor and hiam....I hope!
9.gif

Are you from Singapore, Mark?

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
side tracking..
to all the sporeans. did you guys get a green card through the long h1b process or did you get it through your american spouse? if so how long did that take?

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
i think i killed this conversation when i side tracked...

anyways

have a great reunion dinner guys!! =)
i want my red packets!!
i have not spent CNY at home home for 10yrs now =((((
i need some bak kua
30.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Me too! Someone tried to bring me some last month, but it was confiscated.

babydoll_mini

Shiny_Rock
Oh my god? so many PS-ers from China?
Happy Tiger''s Year!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dumplings are tradition in Beijing from what I can tell, our family always makes a bunch to eat at least. And you're also supposed to cook a whole fish, but not eat all of it. And of course there must be Nian Gao. Yum!

And there's something about sweeping...but I don't remember.

In our family, only kids who are still in school get red packets. So if you're out of school and working, being a housewife, or dropped out of school, no red packet for you.

Happy new years eve!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results