shape
carat
color
clarity

Forget Tiffany''s, What about ...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SeattleSparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, so I''m no longer interested in the debate of whether or not a ring from Tiffany and Co. is worth the name recognition for an engagement ring?

What about Harry Winston?

widget

Ideal_Rock
Heehee...I get the impression that you''re really interested in a designer ring! And I think that''s just great!

All the usual arguments against going for a label are the same. In fact I think most people use the term "tiffany" as a term for any high-end, well known house.

If I were looking for a designer ring, I''d probably go to Cartier, Van Cleef&Arpels, or Harry Winston before I''d go to Tiffanys.

I mean, Tiffanys is so common, don''t you think??
2.gif

widget

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s more or less the same thing. You are paying a boat load more for the name. Do yourself a favor and check out the online vendors here. You will not only get a stone with a great cut, you will save a bundle to boot. And my ering came from Tiff''s. I am telling you this with great sincerity. Plus you''ll be able to get a much bigger stone.
2.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
ditto what widget and kaleigh said. it really all comes down to what you think she would like more. designer name (nothing wrong with that) or bigger stone. if she knew you could get a no name 1 carat diamond or a less than a half carat designer which would SHE want?

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I agree- same deal as tiff''s. You can obviously buy a lovely ring from HW, but you can buy an equally lovely and larger ring elsewhere.

SeattleSparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Ha! I am trying to figure out what she wants because I am SHE!! Too funny. My bf is really into brand names though and I think is dumbfounded that I hesitate in wanting a ring from Tiffany &Co. . I have a few silver pieces from there, that''s sufficient for me (although I did make him visit every single floor and every single counter when we took a trip to NYC this fall!!)

Hmm, alright, good to keep in mind ... still have no idea what I want in a diamond or a setting. sigh.

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
I would have to agree with Widget; if you do wind up going with a designer ring, definitely go somewhere else other than Tiffany. That said, I have to agree with everyone else here that you would be getting a lot more for your money. One thing I have noticed when I looked at settings from, say, Derco Jewelers is that the settings aren''t as nicely polished as those at Tiffany or Cartier. I don''t know whether the non-brand name jewelers repolish the setting once the ring is finished. Perhaps someone has an answer to that question?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s so funny, so you are the she... Tell BF to look at some stones online. The most important C is Cut. There is nothing wrong with Tiff''s or HW, but you will end up paying through the nose for the name and why do that?? You can buy an excellent stone online that is actually superior in cut to the stones that Tiff or HW sells and save a bundle. Plus you''ll end up for a much bigger stone in the long run. As I stated earlier my ering is from Tiff''s. I do love it, just wouldn''t go that route again, since being on PS!!!
2.gif

rosy

Shiny_Rock
I agree, screw Tiffany''s. My ering is from there & I would buy from Whiteflash or another online vendor if I could go back in time. I can''t so don''t make the same mistake. For what I paid I could''ve gotten a 2 carat plus!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehe, so you''re the she?? Well, if you don''t really care about the Tiffany name we can definitely help you find a bigger stone within you''re budget. You can take a look in the show me the ring forum for some ideas. It can get a little overwhelming so you might also want to check out Pearlman''s Jewelers for some setting ideas, he carries all the popular designers.

If you like the classic Tiffany Solitaire there are a few vendors who carry settings very similar but much more reasonably priced

recran

Rough_Rock
Here''s an idea: get the diamond online (bigger bang for buck, more of a sure-thing for cut, etc.), get the setting either online or from a B&M. Get the wedding band from Tiffany''s or HW or wherever. Then he can say that your ring is from there honestly - he just won''t be specifying WHICH ring.
2.gif

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! You''ll never go wrong with Harry Winston.

squarediamondlove

Shiny_Rock
Rosy,

Since you are the one with the Tiffany, let me ask you a question....do many people notice that you have a Tiffany?

My friend''s sister has a 1.2 ct. Tiffany (of ideal quality) but I doubt anyone really notices that it is from Tiffany. As far as I am aware of, only one guy told her "oh that is a Tiffany ring!" (he was gay, ofcourse). Otherwise, nothing. In his case however, it was a good choice to go with something like Tiffany. They have no problem with money(husband is sergeant), he can a aford a much larger ring form Tiffany''s if he wanted to, without it being any kind of financial burden; he however has a strong belief that an e-ring should not be more than 1ct.

My point is this, get a Tiffany or a Harry Winston because (1) you want to be guaranteed a certain quality of diamond or there is a specific style that they have that no one else carries (e.g. the lucida diamond or or perhaps the hight quality unique setting arrangements Harry Wingston carries)--and (2) most importantly, if you can afford the mark up without sacrificing on the size too much (unless you really don''t mind the smaller size).

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There still is some tradeoff between the diamond and an engraving on the inner side of the shank.

For some intricate style things are getting less obvious ... and the markup, I guess since workmanship is not free anywhere although particularly not so if it comes under a top brand name.

Solitaire rings are so simple and so much more about the stone than anything else, that I don''t quite understand your BF either. He is not expected to wear large diamonds (well, some men do... but for them it takes work to justify that choice not the other way around) and a knock off of a important watch for him has nothing to do with a non-branded ring for you. Maybe it would help to explain him this
11.gif

My 0.2

SeattleSparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm... good food for thought. I think the dilemma is that I really don''t know what I want or really how to find it without running all around town (by the way, if you have B&M suggestions in Seattle to look at I''m all ears.). I just feel like I''ll really just have to try a bunch on which I just get nervous thinking about!! Budget isn''t really so much an issue ... I think he could probably get a pretty nice ring at any of those designer houses, but I am all about a good deal....

Anyway, I can get him more excited about learning more about diamonds and ring buying? He''s pretty said, "hey whatever you want." Very unromantic. I''ve shown him a few pictures from the ideas I''ve gotten from this site (which I''m soooo addicted to now.) but he doesn''t seem enthused, says he''s hard to impress b/c of his high standards.

Bad side of that, this process is going to take forever. Good side of that, I guess I meet his high standards, and the ring that does too, should be spectacular (I hope.)

Thanks!

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Just remember in the end YOU have to be the one that''s happy with the ring since YOU will be wearing it for the rest of your life (or at least until you upgrade if you do
3.gif
) With my e-ring I did all the research pretty much my fiance''s eyes would glaze over and still do when I start talking about diamonds LOL And even though the process took awhile, I wouldn''t have it any other way...so take your time and enjoy looking around
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Seattle, if he has said whatever you want, then you can have the fun! That was kind of how it was with me and my hubby...he wanted to know what I found out but didn''t want to be the one doing all the research, that''s my gig...I love doing that kind of stuff.

Have you been into Tiffanys or HW or Cartier? I''d go in and get the feel of things by starting to just try on rings. Try to also pay attention to how things sparkle and be sure to ask to take them over by natural light windows, outside of the regular lighting in the store (which is always very good!).

But before making any sort of decision I would also begin to educate yourself on what you could get if you shopped online. Learn about cut...it''s very important. Also, you may even want to see premium branded diamonds like HOF and Eightstar to compare what you could get at HW or Tiff vs the branded, and then you can also compare those to a regular ole H&A aka like from an online vendor.

That way whatever you decide, you know that you were fully educated about the options.

I have to say that having seen HW and Tiffany rings etc...for me it''s really about how well-cut the diamond is. I know sometimes people say well the expensive brands have to have good cuts and you shouldn''t worry your pretty little head...but in reality I have not been super impressed with those diamonds. There was one on Signed Pieces recently that was Tiff and it had sloppy symmetry and the arrows weren''t even visible. For me that''s not where I want to put my money. But that''s just me. I know some people don''t care about cut.

But if you are interested in learning about the different things out there, then I''d use this opportunity to educate yourself and figure out what you do want, that way if you end up saying it''s a ring from HW, you can know that you covered all the bases and you will probably end up with something more spectacular than if you just went in and blindly pointed at a ring.

Oh and if you are a SIZE WHORE like I am....I would never shop branded because it will just get me a smaller diamond. I love unbranded well-cut stones because they are the most bang for the buck in my opinion. But that''s just because I love big rocks.
2.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/1/2005 9:07:46 AM
Author: Madam Bijoux
Hi! You''ll never go wrong with Harry Winston.
no....just a smaller rock for a bigger price.

sxn675

Shiny_Rock
How fun for you! I know it''s not romantic, but I think you need to get an idea of your budget (at least a ballpark). Then, what I''d do is take a look to see what you can get online versus what you can get at a designer house for that price. Then, you can go and try on those carat weights on your finger and that will help you decide (you can even go to Cartier or wherever and do this). That will help you get an idea of what size, color etc you like. Good luck!

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/1/2005 9:48:52 AM
Author: Kaleidoscopic
Rosy,

Since you are the one with the Tiffany, let me ask you a question....do many people notice that you have a Tiffany?

My friend''s sister has a 1.2 ct. Tiffany (of ideal quality) but I doubt anyone really notices that it is from Tiffany. As far as I am aware of, only one guy told her ''oh that is a Tiffany ring!'' (he was gay, ofcourse). Otherwise, nothing. In his case however, it was a good choice to go with something like Tiffany. They have no problem with money(husband is sergeant), he can a aford a much larger ring form Tiffany''s if he wanted to, without it being any kind of financial burden; he however has a strong belief that an e-ring should not be more than 1ct.

My point is this, get a Tiffany or a Harry Winston because (1) you want to be guaranteed a certain quality of diamond or there is a specific style that they have that no one else carries (e.g. the lucida diamond or or perhaps the hight quality unique setting arrangements Harry Wingston carries)--and (2) most importantly, if you can afford the mark up without sacrificing on the size too much (unless you really don''t mind the smaller size).

Nope, nobody knows its Tiffany''s unless you happen to mention it or they specifically ask ,"where did you buy your ring from?". Only one person commented that it was the Tiffany six prong setting, but they just thought it was just the style, not that it was from Tiffany''s.

I think you really need to find out what your girl is into. I''m into size, but I realized this too late, after I had already upgraded to a 1.85 from a .75. At Tiffany''s you can only upgrade once. I also don''t think that buying from Tiffany''s is guarantee of any great quality. Yes I can see distinct arrows in my diamond but my ring has less fire than my .75 diamond did. You still need to look at the diamond with your two eyes & let your eyes be the final judge, whether you''re buying from Tiffany''s or not. Yes you won''t get a dud llike you would at Zales or Ben Bridge but in all honesty it''s still not worth the markup if you''re trying to maximize size.

A note about settings, yes they are important but no setting, no matter how beautiful can give you the oomph that a large center stone can! I would much rather have a larger stone & a plain setting than vice versa. Remember you can always reset your diamond, or get a fancy wedding band to wear with it but you can''t run out & buy a new diamond whenever you want to. But again, this is me & your girl may be totally different, she could be the complete opposite. So the bottom line is you have got to find out WHAT SHE PREFERS in order to make her happy. If I had known I was into size I would''nt have even bothered upgrading at Tiffany''s but just started all over again someplace else. Imagine this, even with the ring to trade in I still spent more for a comparable ring online or at another store. This gives you an idea of how genuinely high the markup is! Here''s an idea for you, Tiffany''s has a 30 day return policy. Why not buy the Tiffany, propose to her, let her know that it''s still in the return period & then give her the option of keeping it or returning it & shop around someplace else. This way the proprosal is still a complete surprise & you still get to buy her exactly what she wants! How could she not love you?????????

plg_cp

Rough_Rock
Hey Rosy,

Just want to point out that the original poster SeattleSparkle is the female half of her relationship, so not sure your advice is well directed in this case.
1.gif

Mark

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/2/2005 1:21:38 AM
Author: plg_cp
Hey Rosy,

Just want to point out that the original poster SeattleSparkle is the female half of her relationship, so not sure your advice is well directed in this case.
1.gif

Mark
I was replying to Kaliedoscope who was asking me a direct question. Hope we''re not hijacking the post!

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/1/2005 12:27:45 PM
Author: SeattleSparkle
Hmm... good food for thought. I think the dilemma is that I really don''t know what I want or really how to find it without running all around town (by the way, if you have B&M suggestions in Seattle to look at I''m all ears.). I just feel like I''ll really just have to try a bunch on which I just get nervous thinking about!! Budget isn''t really so much an issue ... I think he could probably get a pretty nice ring at any of those designer houses, but I am all about a good deal....
Dilemma? Hehe, you can go to all the stores you want and try on rings to your heart''s desire until you find what you want! Not really too much of a dilemma in my book. Go to Tiffany or HW, go to local jewelers, or wherever you plan on going...see what they have to offer, but look online and see what is available as well. I used to think my ering had to be from Tiffany, but then I realized I could get something much nicer & larger for the same amount of money. I haven''t tried on the Legacy stuff, now if I fell in love with that, it may be a problem
2.gif
but unless you''re picking something that is totally unique to Tiffany or HW I think you''ll be able to find better deals elsewhere. It doesn''t even have to be about the deal, you might find a style you like better elsewhere. Don''t focus on the brand name, focus on the style and look that you want because really, only unless you tell people no one is going to know that it is a brand name. It is sort of weird that your bf is more caught up in the name than you are! Its sometimes hard to tell how stunning something will look on your hand from an online picture, so show him in person. It will be helpful for the both of youi! Good luck choosing!

squarediamondlove

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/2/2005 1:21:38 AM
Author: plg_cp
Hey Rosy,

1.gif

Mark

Even though we know that he is a SHE. The advice still stands since she may not even know what she wants. I only realized how little namebrands count, like Tiffany AFTER, I got my engagement ring. Rosy mentioned the same thing; she didn't realize it until it was too late. Only if money is completely no object would I again contemplate getting a diamond form Cartier or Tiffany or etc.

However, again, if Tiffany or Harry Winston is something that is going to make you happy than DO IT! Most people say that they cannot tell D color form an F or G color, but I know I can and even though the difference is slight, I personally enjoy the difference greatly, regardless of what others think or whether they think it was worth the more $$. In the end, its all about your ENJOYMENT! We just want you to realize that for a 1.5 ct stone, you could have gotten a 2-3ct of that same quality elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results