shape
carat
color
clarity

Foregoing holiday gifts for saving?

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
How do the ladies feel about that? Would you rather a trinket of some sort that you don't particularly need or would you be satisfied with nothing but the knowledge that the funds of that trinket are going toward your ring?

Why I ask-- SO always mentions fun things he'd want (ex: lightsaber) making it super easy to get him gifts. Me on the otherhand, whenever I want something, I just buy it. Therefore, I'm never really wanting anything. He knows I got him gifts and I know he hasn't gotten me anything, but last night he hinted at him budgeting a lot more for something else. :saint:

So how do you ladies feel about that?

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
I'm like you- whenever I want something, I just buy it. I'd prefer that he would save for my ring, however, there are quite a few gifts under the tree, so I know there's no saving on his end. The problem is, he's like me: we're spenders, not savers. So, to think that he'd ever save for my ring seems almost unlikely. I think if I ever get a ring, he'll have to open a line of credit. I dunno. :sick:

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
i said i didnt want to spend as much money this year...im a student, and have bills so i dont have a ton of money, and last year i thought we spent a lot ($500). I'd much rather him put money towards my ring...

with that said, when i asked him what he wanted for christmas, he said he wanted a piece for his gun... ($400)...and i wanted a tiffany charm enhancer necklace for my future e ring ($100) and then i picked out a bunch of stuff on tiffanys that if he picked 2 of the pieces would equal the $400...well when we went to the store, he didnt like anything i picked...and we both liked a rubedo ring...($386)...which made me go out and spend 100 more on him...

so yea, next year i hope we are saving for a wedding, or we were tossing around going on a cruise/trip and forgo the gifts!

blah i want BLING nowwww! he tells me its 2013...im sick of waiting! :blackeye:

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
but LLC 2013 is just around the corner!!! :appl:

and I like the idea of saving instead of getting holiday gifts just for holiday's sake. I, like you, usually just buy something that I want instead of waiting for someone to buy it for me. If there's nothing that I really want, I would prefer saving toward a ring, wedding, house, etc. instead of getting little gifts.

antiquesparkler

Brilliant_Rock
I like the idea of saving... but we already have my ring.

So instead of gifts this year, we are going on a mini-vacay and hitting the slopes. I would much rather have a nice getaway than a trinket.

Although looking at the tiffany website... I wouldnt mind something sparkly. lol.

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
antiquesparkler|1356360652|3339051 said:

So instead of gifts this year, we are going on a mini-vacay and hitting the slopes. I would much rather have a nice getaway than a trinket.

yea yea yea rub it in! :tongue: JUST PLAYING! hahaha.

im really liking the mini trip idea more and more. i really gotta nail down a plan so we can do this next year!!!!

antiquesparkler

Brilliant_Rock
LoveLikeCrazy|1356361599|3339060 said:
antiquesparkler|1356360652|3339051 said:

yea yea yea rub it in! :tongue: JUST PLAYING! hahaha.

im really liking the mini trip idea more and more. i really gotta nail down a plan so we can do this next year!!!!

Awwwww!!! :(( :tongue:
Now if only he would take that ring and propose so we could skip the mini vacay and save for a WEDDING!!! booo.

lktx

Shiny_Rock
I would rather my SO save for the bling. In fact, I suggested that to him the other day, but it didn't go over very well.

I have everything that I could ever want, and I buy things for myself if I do find something I like. He wants to get me a pair of fancy shoes, which is very kind of him, but I'm shoe content right now. That money could definitely go towards a ring.

I told him all I wanted for Christmas is an engagement ring, and he (lovingly) told me to stop being crazy. I CAN'T CONTROL MY CRAY, OKAY!? :devil: :loopy:

antiquesparkler

Brilliant_Rock
lktx|1356366364|3339104 said:
I would rather my SO save for the bling. In fact, I suggested that to him the other day, but it didn't go over very well.

I have everything that I could ever want, and I buy things for myself if I do find something I like. He wants to get me a pair of fancy shoes, which is very kind of him, but I'm shoe content right now. That money could definitely go towards a ring.

I told him all I wanted for Christmas is an engagement ring, and he (lovingly) told me to stop being crazy. I CAN'T CONTROL MY CRAY, OKAY!? :devil: :loopy:

Just spit coffee all over my keyboard! Thank you! Love it!! I am so going to use this some day!

Although, I mean a pair of fancy shoes... I am a shoe girl and am never shoe content... dont turn down the pair of fancy shoes! Or better yet... mail them to me. :naughty:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I'm not a LIW so I hope you don't mind me chiming in. When DH and I were still dating we would get each other trickets around the holidays but typically not spend much. Instead we would go on a vacation or a mini get away in the spring. It was more fun to have an experience together then gifts to open.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sarahbear621|1356375607|3339209 said:
I'm not a LIW so I hope you don't mind me chiming in. When DH and I were still dating we would get each other trickets around the holidays but typically not spend much. Instead we would go on a vacation or a mini get away in the spring. It was more fun to have an experience together then gifts to open.

:angryfire: NO SARAH, HOW COULD YOU? You're not a LIW! :naughty: :lol: JK! We love it when non-LIWs chime in, Sarah! Join in the convo more often!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
antiquesparkler|1356368772|3339126 said:
lktx|1356366364|3339104 said:
I CAN'T CONTROL MY CRAY, OKAY!? :devil: :loopy:

Just spit coffee all over my keyboard! Thank you! Love it!! I am so going to use this some day!

Me neither.

Given we already have the ring, there's just so much more in our less distant future to save up for: graduate school for me +I won't be contributing to our income for the next 3 years, a wedding, a honeymoon, a house.. I'd rather NOT do Christmas gifts. I thought I could get away with skipping gifts this year, til he mentioned he already ordered mine. Darnit! I really hate gift buying.

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
We didn't do gifts this year. We just bought a house, so we didn't really see the need for gifts this year nor did we want to spend the money.

The only thing I really want him to get me is a ring anyways. ;-)

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, a relatively popular thread from my account, it must be a Christmas miracle! :razz: kidding... sorta :wink2:

Interesting responses. Looks like majority of the LIWs are literally just waiting.... jesus, idk how I'll be when we get the ring, but I'm sure I'll be posting MUCH more often. I hope you ladies get your bling soon!!

We also talked about a trip instead-- there's so much I want to see in the US and beyond, that I'd rather spend $0.99 in a fun place getting a souvenir than a just-cause-it's-christmas gift.

lktx

Shiny_Rock
SO realized that I wasn't too pumped up about shoes, so he's told me to pick something out. I'm thinking either a Cartier LOVE wedding ring, or a BGD bezel band. I can wear the ring on my right hand and switch it over to my left once we get married. SO thinks it's a good idea, and I feel much better about spending the money on something that can serve as a wedding band in the future.

So, which do you think is a better choice? Cartier LOVE or BGD bezel?

http://www.cartier.us/collections/jewelry/collections/love/love-rings/b4085000-love-ring
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/wedding-and-anniversary-bands/eternity-bands/diamond-bezel-band-18k-white-gold-5596w18

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
lktx|1356461085|3339646 said:
SO realized that I wasn't too pumped up about shoes, so he's told me to pick something out. I'm thinking either a Cartier LOVE wedding ring, or a BGD bezel band. I can wear the ring on my right hand and switch it over to my left once we get married. SO thinks it's a good idea, and I feel much better about spending the money on something that can serve as a wedding band in the future.

http://www.cartier.us/collections/jewelry/collections/love/love-rings/b4085000-love-ring
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/wedding-and-anniversary-bands/eternity-bands/diamond-bezel-band-18k-white-gold-5596w18

i love the entire cartier love collection, but if you def plan on using as a wedding band, it might not look right with certain types of e rings.

I also love the BGD bezel band, it reminds me of the tiffany jazz band that i love haha.

I really dont think you could go wrong with either one though, they are both totally different. I think that it would be cute if you both got the Love bands as wedding rings...now that would be cool! :naughty:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoveLikeCrazy|1356462692|3339654 said:
lktx|1356461085|3339646 said:

i love the entire cartier love collection, but if you def plan on using as a wedding band, it might not look right with certain types of e rings.

I also love the BGD bezel band, it reminds me of the tiffany jazz band that i love haha.

I really dont think you could go wrong with either one though, they are both totally different. I think that it would be cute if you both got the Love bands as wedding rings...now that would be cool! :naughty:

I love the Cartier LϴVE, but don't think it would look right as a wedding band next to most e-rings. It looks better as a stand alone. If you're hoping to use it as a wedding band as well, I vote for the bezel band.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Tough choice...personally I like the BGD band (also reminds me of the Tiffany Jazz!) and it would be a great versatile stacker or future wedding band.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results