shape
carat
color
clarity

for tourmaline experts

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, here is the situation: I do not know anything about tourmalines except recent story with irradiation. And while I have seen some, I was always hesitant to buy them because I do not know what is considered fine colors. Maybe the only two that I have bought are not up to any standards. But I am now asking your advice as to what to do with them. The first one is very dark green (not olive green though, just dark-dark green). Why I like it - I don''t know but since the setting would be good for many round cut stones, I wonder if you would advise me to take it out and to use the setting or just keep it or what. In other words, if you say, "I''d pay no more than $ 5.00 for it on the ebay" it won''t break my heart. Don''t know why I keep it.

greentour555.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Horribly dark and gets darker when I upload it. I don''t know why. Sorry, I''ll try again.

greentour888.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like a blue green tourmaline which is rather common. Those are rather inexpensive and usually untreated.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, the history behind buying greenish-blue is very simple. I went to one of our higher-end store which carries very nice stones (especially aquas). The saleslady wore a very nice pendant which, of course, was for sale. The price was Very steep but she explained to me that the tourmaline in it was quite expensive and "unusual" (I think she meant Paraiba but I now doubt it was a cuprian - just a nicely cut blue-green tourmaline). Then I came across this store going out of business (BTW at least three jewelry stores have closed and I am waiting for two more - the situation is not easy, and recession has not even hit our state as hard as some others). Well, the reason I chose this one (and it has, as I see now, a window) was because the color resembled that of the "Paraiba" at the high-end jewelry store and also because it was unheated (and if I am a sucker for anything, it is absence of any treatment, unless it is inevitable).

Well, the guy set it. When my friend who used to buy from him saw my ring, she immediately understood why he was going out of business. It is a Horus Eye white gold ring, which could look nice on a hand of a 17-year old teenage girl, with long hair, a guitar and in jeans. So my question is, should I donate it, re-set or just give to someone as a gift. I know that it has not even stood close to a Paraiba, but the color is bright, it is sparkly and for some reason the window doesn't irritate me a bit. It collects dust, which is inevitable for tourmalines, so I have to wash it from time to time. Well, how much on ebay?

bluetour1010.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
another one...I thought that my walk-in closet was better for pictures...well, it is nice for looking but the light appears not too good for pics. Sorry, my first attempt.

bluetour1111.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
one more

bluetour1212.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I shall try to upload one more

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
here it is

blurtour111.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crasru,
Could it be a seafoam Afghan tourmaline in the Horus setting? Those are never treated and tend to have an open axis with a light and bright blue green colour. However, I've never seen any cut in shapes other than rectangular or square shapes due to their crystalline structure. They used to be more common but as of late, they are getting very difficult to source.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono, if your answer refers to the first one, I should probably take it out and use the ring for one of my projects. I mean, it is a nice setting, I have never seen how LOGR looks like and it may be LOGR or something similar after all, (BTW I now suspect that many jewelers carry LOGR and sell it at higher price), but it is probably a high-end LOGR and I could save on a setting for inexpensive round stone that I may buy in the future. What do you (or other people) think?

As to the other one...is donation OK or should I just give it to someone as a gift?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blimey Crasru I think you need a camera with a macro lens! I''m really struggling with those last photos!
9.gif
Wait until TL sees them as she''s always on my case about my photos
2.gif

First setting is gorgeous. The Tourmaline is pretty but as Chrono has said, it''s a normal blue/green tourmaline on the dark side. If the darkness worries you and you won''t wear it then I would take it out and re-use the setting.

The second Tourmaline is a pretty colour but as you say has a window. I would be tempted to re-set that in a setting with a more closed basket which might help to minimise the window. No guarantees but it might. I can''t actually "see" the setting so can''t comment but if you really don''t like it then put it to one side or sell it. You might find that it comes alive with a different stone in it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Correct, the first darkish stone is a regular blue green tourmaline in a lovely setting. I''d have no qualms about resetting a nice and bright stone into it. As for the second stone, it''s a nice colour but with a window. Selecting a more enclosed setting (closed back or enclosed gallery) will make the window less obvious.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2010 4:35:34 PM
Author: Chrono
Crasru,

Could it be a seafoam Afghan tourmaline in the Horus setting? Those are never treated and tend to have an open axis with a light and bright blue green colour. However, I''ve never seen any cut in shapes other than rectangular or square shapes due to their crystalline structure. They used to be more common but as of late, they are getting very difficult to source.

Should I check it? I do not know how familiar my appraiser is with Afgan tourmalines but there is another one in our neighborhood which is supposed to be very good. He sniffed my demantoid from another end of a store (actually called it "an andradite" which I liked). I can ask him. He trained at AGTA.

Since it has an inclusion (which is not seen because it is on a side) I presume it is untreated which satisfies me.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2010 4:44:41 PM
Author: crasru

Date: 2/7/2010 4:35:34 PM
Crasru,

Could it be a seafoam Afghan tourmaline in the Horus setting? Those are never treated and tend to have an open axis with a light and bright blue green colour. However, I''ve never seen any cut in shapes other than rectangular or square shapes due to their crystalline structure. They used to be more common but as of late, they are getting very difficult to source.

Should I check it? I do not know how familiar my appraiser is with Afgan tourmalines but there is another one in our neighborhood which is supposed to be very good. He sniffed my demantoid from another end of a store (actually called it ''an andradite'' which I liked). I can ask him. He trained at AGTA.

Since it has an inclusion (which is not seen because it is on a side) I presume it is untreated which satisfies me.
Crasru highly doubtful he''ll be able to tell. Also, many many Tourmalines are heated. Evidence of an inclusion doesn''t mean it''s not heated.

Chrono do you think that''s an Afghan Tourmaline? To me it just looks like a nice bright Tourmaline possibly from Mozambique?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crasru,
The only tourmalines which are treated are almost all Cuprians, rubellite and pink tourmalines only in the tourmaline family. If he is a good friend, it may be nice to have him take a look just for fun. Even if it is an Afghan tourmaline, they are generally inexpensive as well.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2010 4:38:46 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Blimey Crasru I think you need a camera with a macro lens! I''m really struggling with those last photos!
9.gif
Wait until TL sees them as she''s always on my case about my photos
2.gif

First setting is gorgeous. The Tourmaline is pretty but as Chrono has said, it''s a normal blue/green tourmaline on the dark side. If the darkness worries you and you won''t wear it then I would take it out and re-use the setting.

The second Tourmaline is a pretty colour but as you say has a window. I would be tempted to re-set that in a setting with a more closed basket which might help to minimise the window. No guarantees but it might. I can''t actually ''see'' the setting so can''t comment but if you really don''t like it then put it to one side or sell it. You might find that it comes alive with a different stone in it.

It is a 12.1 pixel Cyber-shot Sony with a macro setting. Sometimes I leave it out of focus because for some reason it shows the color more accurately if I do it. As I said, it is almost color-blind for some shades of green (I hate the way it deals with my alex! I see green, and so does my husband, and my camera sees different shades of blue! It is great for red and orange, though). I do not know what it will do with the demantoid.

Now light is another thing. Because "diffuse light" in Seattle means no light, I have to invent something to create it and if someone tells me which site to go to and what to buy I''d surely appreciate it. My work lamp is sort of diffuse but it is small and the light is in red-orange spectrum.

BTW when I wash or clean my alex the color is much brighter and even the window stops irritating me. I probably should do it more often. I don''t like ultrasonic devices because I think they scratch high-carat gold.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2010 4:49:38 PM
Crasru,
The only tourmalines which are treated are almost all Cuprians, rubellite and pink tourmalines only in the tourmaline family. If he is a good friend, it may be nice to have him take a look just for fun. Even if it is an Afghan tourmaline, they are generally inexpensive as well.
It depends, some Afghans can be very pricey, especially if they're that neon Scope green blue that everyone wants.

Crasru,
If the light blue tourmaline is a real tourmaline, it's worth much more than the dark green one you have. It's not as expensive as a paraiba of course, but can be a couple hundred per carat. Top Afghans are very hard to come by these days due to the political situation in the region, and it's just a rare color, but it can be $1K/ct if it's a top Afghan with neon saturated Scope color.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK. I got the message about the green one. I shall use the setting and keep the tourm. - I can still use it later for one of my projects.
With the other one - should I check it? And who knows about Afghan tourmalines? I can send it to GIA but it is probably not worth the cost of the stone. I''ll try to take better pics.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, with tourmaline, the only one that matters as far as provenance is concerned are Brazilian Paraibas, so it''s really not of great importance to know if this is an Afghani stone or not. Truth be told, there are some nice blue green deposits in Nigerian and Namibia too.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Crasru, since you mentioned high karat gold - I always thought that stones which are slightly too dark (like your green tourmaline) look great in rich shades of yellow gold. So if you'd be interested and have a chance to set it in such a piece within a reasonable budget (maybe even silver with high karat gold details), I'd consider that option. Those dark colors get more interesting when they're surrounded with a bright and vivid color of the metal, while those same metals look even richer when there's a strong contrast between their color and that of the stone. You could also play a bit with the surface finishes on such a piece for extra interest. But if you don't think you'd get much wear out of something like that, it would probably be best to sell the stone and keep the setting.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always prefer yellow gold - white gold effectively "kills'' many tones, especially blue-green ones. YG, with possible exception of very orange stones (like spesssartines) is more of a win-win situation.

I do not sell stones just for the lack of time and energy. I may keep it and later combine with another, bright, stone for a cheap pendant or such.

I read about argentum and think it could be an option for inexpensive, well-cut stones but do not know who works with it. JKT seems to have a long waiting list.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results