shape
carat
color
clarity

For those that celebrate Christmas: unexpected gifts

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Suppose you receive a gift from someone unexpectedly, how do you react (besides saying thank you)?

Do you apologize for not having a gift for them? Do you purchase a gift and send to them at a later time? What do you do?

I ask out of curiosity. My mom always has "reserve" gifts. The gifts are usually something small for the home that she wraps and gives when people she didn't expect stop by (which for some reason happens often). Does anyone else do this also?

bebe

Ideal_Rock
This just happened to me today.
My neighbor dropped by before she left town and brought a small gift.
We have never exchanged Christmas gifts and I was caught off guard.
I doubt she expected a gift in exchange, but I wished I had some little
something for her.

Whats the rule on Christmas cards? If you get one from someone you didn't
send one to - should you quickly send one? I've always felt odd doing that, but
again, today I did just that !!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I have been on both sides of this equation. My answer is say Thank you and that's it. If you say you "forgot" or apologize because "I didn't think we were exchanging" it dampens the spirit in which the gift was given. I think in cases like these, that person found something they really thought you'd like and just had to get it for you to see the look on your face. THAT'S the gift for them, to know that they got something perfect for a loved one.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've been on both sides too.

I don't give gifts with the expectation of getting one back. I give gifts because I want to. So it doesn't bother me to give a gift without recieving anything in return.

But I do feel very uncomfortable if someone gives me a gift and I don't have anything to reciprocate with. I usually have a bottle of wine and a gift bag around though.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I usually keep a couple of bottles of wine and boxes of chocolates wrapped and ready to add a hastily-written gift tag to. We don't do a lot of gifts, usually just close friends and family, but I have been embarrassed by this in the past, so I like to be prepared just in case.

That said, if you don't usually exchange gifts, I think it's fine just to say thank you and leave it at that.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I keep the emergecy bottle of wine ready to go for those occasions.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I say Thank You or write a thank you card and that's it. I might go out of my way to give the person some cookies or a bottle of wine in a gift bag, but I don't really worry about not having a gift to give back. Buying gifts is stressful enough without having to plan for the unexpected.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
If I gave someone a gift knowing that we weren't "exchanging" gifts, I would NOT want to receive an emergency gift of something that was not bought for me. It cheapens the value of the gift that was bought FOR someone.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I agree, I wouldn't want something that looked like an emergency gift, at all. You're right, it cheapens the value of the gift given with thought. However, the emergency gifts I keep are (I like to think) nice enough not to have that taint. I have beautiful, hand made chocolates and very good French red and white wine. These are things I'd be pleased to receive and that I'd also give to some people as a planned gift. A bottle of cheap wine or a box of run of the mill chocolates is (I hope) different.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
At the start of the seasons I usually stock up on simple gifts that I can buy in bulk and gift out as needed. They are always universal and I like to buy things that if they aren't gifted, I can use. I do different things yearly...last year I bought a bunch of beautiful ornaments from The Candy Cane Christmas Shoppe in Ohio.

This year I bought a bunch of Starbucks gift cards, loaded them up with $20.00 a piece and stuck them inside really cute stockings. I keep them in a bowl in my living room so if someone was to stop by I could easily grab a pre-wrapped gift. If we don't gift them, we certainly won't mind using them!

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Italiahaircolor|1292900431|2802399 said:
At the start of the seasons I usually stock up on simple gifts that I can buy in bulk and gift out as needed. They are always universal and I like to buy things that if they aren't gifted, I can use. I do different things yearly...last year I bought a bunch of beautiful ornaments from The Candy Cane Christmas Shoppe in Ohio.

This year I bought a bunch of Starbucks gift cards, loaded them up with $20.00 a piece and stuck them inside really cute stockings. I keep them in a bowl in my living room so if someone was to stop by I could easily grab a pre-wrapped gift. If we don't gift them, we certainly won't mind using them!

What is this shoppe you speak of? As a native ohioan who has lived in three major cities, I've never heard of it!

Last yeat I posed this question, and luckily received notice before getting an unexpected gift from a friend. I usually buy giftsbased on the person, so I think its only awkward you make it awkward. I wouuld never expect a gift in return when giving something.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results